PDA

View Full Version : Scotland to hold election about breaking away from UK.

Gaffer
09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
This has been in the news sporadically. I'm curious what Drummond thinks about this, and I haven't seen a lot of news on the British opinion of it other than they are calling on the queen to say something.

They are saying that 51% of Scots want to break away. Will Wales be next? I'm sure Drummond can fill us in as things happen.

NightTrain
09-09-2014, 05:41 PM
I didn't know that was an option.

So if Scotland secedes, I wonder what Ireland will do.

Gaffer
09-09-2014, 06:16 PM

You mean Northern Ireland? They need Britain too much to secede. They would be absorbed by the rest of Ireland and it wouldn't be pretty.

I'm curious how the rest of England would take it. The famed Scottish Regiments would be either disbanded or moved back to Scotland. What kind of money would they use? The Pound or something of their own? Would they still be part of the EU or separate? Will Drummond think about moving to Scotland? :poke:

NightTrain
09-09-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm sure that Noir would be all for it... no love lost there, I think.

Gunny
09-09-2014, 09:26 PM

What most don't realize is, England never defeated Scotland. They married themselves onto the throne. King Edward was the son of marry Queen of Scots, and whoever the English king was at the time. When Edward ascended the throne, he became King of both England and Scotland.

And no, I ain't looking up all the facts and figures. That's from memory. But Scotland never was a possession of England. England could never get any further than the lowlands.

Noir
09-10-2014, 07:55 AM
What most don't realize is, England never defeated Scotland. They married themselves onto the throne. King Edward was the son of marry Queen of Scots, and whoever the English king was at the time. When Edward ascended the throne, he became King of both England and Scotland.

And no, I ain't looking up all the facts and figures. That's from memory. But Scotland never was a possession of England. England could never get any further than the lowlands.

Close, it was King James, VI of Scotland and I of England, in 1604.
James was Marys Child, and became a king of Scotland while a babe, Elizabeth was Queen of England at the time, and with her death, and no heirs, the crown worked its way to James via a bloodline from Margret Tudor.

As for the Indy referendum. While it certainly looks possible that Scotland will vote to leave, I think that when it comes to the crunch, uncertainly of the future will cause the vote to swing to the No campaign. Far too many unanswered questions from the Yes campaign, with main concerns over Currency, EU membership, Immigration, and Long term economic advancement, imo.

jimnyc
09-10-2014, 08:33 AM
James was Marys Child, and became a king of Scotland while a babe, Elizabeth was Queen of England at the time, and with her death, and no heirs, the crown worked its way to James via a bloodline from Margret Tudor.

As for the Indy referendum. While it certainly looks possible that Scotland will vote to leave, I think that when it comes to the crunch, uncertainly of the future will cause the vote to swing to the No campaign. Far too many unanswered questions from the Yes campaign, with main concerns over Currency, EU membership, Immigration, and Long term economic advancement, imo.

As mentioned above, sort of, would you be in favor of Northern Ireland doing similar?

NightTrain
09-10-2014, 08:35 AM
As mentioned above, sort of, would you be in favor of Northern Ireland doing similar?

Yeah!

I've been patiently waiting on Noir and Drummond's take on this.

jimnyc
09-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Yeah!

I've been patiently waiting on Noir and Drummond's take on this.

I know I'd be happy if NY seceded - so I can quickly move back to Jersey and wish them a fond farewell!! :lol:

NightTrain
09-10-2014, 08:38 AM
I know I'd be happy if NY seceded - so I can quickly move back to Jersey and wish them a fond farewell!! :lol:

Be sure you send the cast of Jersey Shore across the border before sealing it.

jimnyc
09-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Be sure you send the cast of Jersey Shore across the border before sealing it.

Those idiots are all already gone. Hell, I'm not sure if any of them were ever from NJ. The little pig Snooki was Chilean. I think a few are in Hollywood. But yeah, they should all just be cast off onto their own little island. Then practice a few nukes on said island.

* apologies to all for going off topic

Noir
09-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Not at all, we'd have no way to support ourselves, about 30% of our jobs are Public Sector, and we only contribute something like 2% economic output of the UK. We are basically a sink that England seems happy to keep putting money into.

Not to mention our politicians, at least within the UK England can somewhat keep them in check, if they were truly free to govern it'd be a mess.

Gunny
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Been awhile since I read any history, and like I said, I wasn't going to read up. :laugh: