PDA

View Full Version : Citing ‘Racism’ – Relieves Firefighters of Duties for Displaying Them

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 08:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTAy_VMCzm8#t=129

One of the big problems in America today is how some people see false racism or bigotry nearly everywhere they look. They see what they want to see.

A bigger problem is many of those people are in positions of authority.

Such is the case in a Chicago suburb, where four firefighters have been relieved of their duties for refusing to remove American flags from their lockers and helmets. The four were disciplined after they refused to comply with an order issued last week by Maywood Fire Chief Craig Bronaugh.

He claims that there is a culture of racism in the department and issued a strict memo saying all decals and stickers, including American flags and military stickers, should be removed from lockers and helmets.

‘As a fire chief here, I cannot afford nor tolerate,’ he told WGN. He cites a picture of a monkey smoking a cigarette that he found taped on a locker as evidence of the racist culture.

WGN has video coverage of this insane story:

http://toprightnews.com/?p=5765

fj1200
09-11-2014, 08:14 AM
One of the big problems in America today is how some people see false racism or bigotry nearly everywhere they look. They see what they want to see.

Bam!

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Bam!

Do you think it's appropriate for a fire department to force them to remove flags and a Marines insignia from the lockers? Do you think such things are racist in any way?

fj1200
09-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Do you think it's appropriate for a fire department to force them to remove flags and a Marines insignia from the lockers? Do you think such things are racist in any way?

Their not racist on the face of it but it shows the stupidity of zero tolerance and the chief having to have a policy against all stickers because of a few.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Their not racist on the face of it but it shows the stupidity of zero tolerance and the chief having to have a policy against all stickers because of a few.

I'd like to know ALL the facts. They make it out to sound as if he took this action in retaliation. I wonder why he would have started this action to begin with, if all that was on these lockers were flags and stickers from the Marines.

NightTrain
09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
That idiot Fire Chief needs to be fired.

Problem solved. Then he can carry on his crusade to find other offensive American Flags to rail against all over the country.

What a little commie bastard.

fj1200
09-11-2014, 08:40 AM
I'd like to know ALL the facts. They make it out to sound as if he took this action in retaliation. I wonder why he would have started this action to begin with, if all that was on these lockers were flags and stickers from the Marines.

Agreed. But my guess he's just stuck in the middle of idiots on both side.

Problem solved. Then he can carry on his crusade to find other offensive American Flags to rail against all over the country.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. It seems like this kind of thing gets started with one or two complainers on one side who may have a legitimate beef, monkey smoking a cigarette is questionable without knowing more details, and the chief has to make a zero tolerance policy on all stickers to avoid being in the position of deciding on every little sticker that someone wants to put up. It's an easier decision for him to make; zero tolerance or creating a citizen review board of potential sticker offenses.

NightTrain
09-11-2014, 08:47 AM
I think you're jumping to conclusions. It seems like this kind of thing gets started with one or two complainers on one side who may have a legitimate beef, monkey smoking a cigarette is questionable without knowing more details, and the chief has to make a zero tolerance policy on all stickers to avoid being in the position of deciding on every little sticker that someone wants to put up. It's an easier decision for him to make; zero tolerance or creating a citizen review board of potential sticker offenses.

The American Flag should never be questioned in this country, or symbols like the U.S. Marine Corps logo.

He took the lazy way out, and now he's up to his ass in alligators. I'll have no sympathy for him when he's fired, in fact, I'll cheer the event.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 08:57 AM

The Marine stated he was let go when he refused to remove the Marines sticker, which was there for his Dad before him. Do you believe what he stated on the record? And if the monkey thing has been gone for years, I'm confused as to why the chief is even bringing it up.

fj1200
09-11-2014, 08:58 AM
The American Flag should never be questioned in this country, or symbols like the U.S. Marine Corps logo.

He took the lazy way out, and now he's up to his ass in alligators. I'll have no sympathy for him when he's fired, in fact, I'll cheer the event.

Maywood fire chief: Patriotic sticker controversy blown out of proportion (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-maywood-firefighters-patriotic-displays-20140910-story.html)

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Maywood fire chief: Patriotic sticker controversy blown out of proportion (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-maywood-firefighters-patriotic-displays-20140910-story.html)

HE blew it out of proportion, but good to see him backpeddle and change his stance.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:03 AM
In a report Tuesday on WGN-Ch. 9, Bronaugh said he was trying to address racism within the department and showed as evidence a picture of a monkey smoking a cigarette that had been taped to a locker.

“To see these pictures, and to draw the conclusion that there are racist firefighters working in this firehouse, (it is) something that as the fire chief here, I cannot afford nor tolerate,” Bronaugh said in the WGN report.

Bronaugh refused to answer questions about the picture Wednesday, even though members of his department said it was posted briefly about a decade ago and had nothing to do with race.

Not surprising that he avoided questions. Racism over a ten year old removed picture? He's covering his ass big time. Why in the world would someone wait TEN YEARS to cry racism over a photo? But I'll guarantee ONLY the backlash is what changed his mind.

fj1200
09-11-2014, 09:07 AM
The Marine stated he was let go when he refused to remove the Marines sticker, which was there for his Dad before him. Do you believe what he stated on the record? And if the monkey thing has been gone for years, I'm confused as to why the chief is even bringing it up.

Bureaucracy run amok. Who was let go? Some were just "sent home."

“It's very hurtful and disrespectful the way things turned out,” firefighter David Flowers said. “Guys had 9/11 (stickers) ... on their helmets. It means a lot to us. Mine has been on (my helmet) since 9/11.”<aside class="trb_panelmod_container" data-role="panelmod_container imgsize_ratiosizecontainer" data-load-type="noop" data-panelmod-type="relatedContent" style="margin: 20px 0px 20px 20px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 20px; float: right; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); clear: right; position: relative; left: 20px; z-index: 25; width: 360px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 10px;">

8 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-maywood-firefighters-patriotic-displays-20140910-story.html#)

</aside><iframe id="google_ads_iframe_/4011/trb.chicagotribune/news/local/blogs/breakingnews_3" name="google_ads_iframe_/4011/trb.chicagotribune/news/local/blogs/breakingnews_3" width="300" height="50" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="border-width: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>

Flowers, an African-American, was sent home Monday after he refused to remove a Marine Corps sticker from his locker that was placed there by his father, a former firefighter with the department who served as a Marine in the Vietnam War.
Bronaugh said Wednesday that his order was prompted by renovation plans at the department's facilities and by the desire to have a uniform appearance among his employees.

Gunny
09-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Couldn't have said that much better myself.

fj1200
09-11-2014, 09:10 AM
HE blew it out of proportion, but good to see him backpeddle and change his stance.

Looks like it. We still don't know why but my guess is not because he hates America.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Bureaucracy run amok. Who was let go? Some were just "sent home."

The original article:

Such is the case in a Chicago suburb, where four firefighters have been relieved of their duties.

Perhaps I read too much into that, but most would just say they were sent home. Relieved of their duties implies fired to me, but I assumed too much apparently.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Looks like it. We still don't know why but my guess is not because he hates America.

I can't say either. But to force people to remove flags and Marines, or any other military sticker - something reeks. I think he had a vendetta or something, because I don't think it's reasonable to suddenly have people remove such things after so many years.

Gunny
09-11-2014, 09:15 AM
The original article:

Such is the case in a Chicago suburb, where four firefighters have been relieved of their duties.

Perhaps I read too much into that, but most would just say they were sent home. Relieved of their duties implies fired to me, but I assumed too much apparently.

Relieved of their duties means fired in the military.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Relieved of their duties means fired in the military.

No doubt I jumped the gun, but it's just that I've heard that term referring to "fired" endless times. It's generally been meant to be a polite term for "shitcanned"

NightTrain
09-11-2014, 09:23 AM
I have a buddy that's a fire fighter. He's got multiple American Flag stickers on his helmet, and he's proud of them. One of them is from a fire station in NYC - fire fighters trade patches, shirts and stickers with other crews all over the country.

Most fire fighters have American Flags on their gear, it's traditional. Especially after 9/11 when so many of them gave their lives trying to rescue people in NYC.

No, I think this little shithead Chief is another PC fascist that doesn't care for America, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to run this maneuver, going so far as to fire people over it - all the while claiming RACISM!!! and one of his targets was another black man. He's not very bright, this one, and Kudos to those that stood up to the little dictator.

Gaffer
09-11-2014, 11:05 AM
The chief is racist. It's that simple.

NightTrain
09-11-2014, 11:25 AM
The chief is racist. It's that simple.

Yep.

It backfired when he was forced to fire black men and a cuban for it. Now he can't claim racism, which I'm sure was his strategy.

All he has left is hatred of American Flags, and that won't fly.

grannyhawkins
09-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I think they need ta start firin whiny little bassturds of all flavors!!! When I was young, bein a tattletale was a dishonor, but there was honor among even thieves, now there's no honor even among thieves and nobody can take care of their own drama. Pretty sad really, as to how whiny people have become.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Agreed. But my guess he's just stuck in the middle of idiots on both side.

On both sides you say are idiots!!!???? do tell about those on the right side of this issue-- they are "idiots" for honoring and holding American values!

How about you splain' dis one Lucy'..

Exactly how are the guys he shafted due to his anti-American fascism idiots?--Tyr

fj1200
09-12-2014, 08:20 AM
On both sides you say are idiots!!!???? do tell about those on the right side of this issue-- they are "idiots" for honoring and holding American values!

How about you splain' dis one Lucy'..

Exactly how are the guys he shafted due to his anti-American fascism idiots?--Tyr

Jumping to conclusions: A dime a dozen.
Reading the whole post: Priceless.

The citizen review board for stickers was tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Jumping to conclusions: A dime a dozen.
Reading the whole post: Priceless.

The citizen review board for stickers was tongue-in-cheek. ;)

NO, you stated "idiots on both sides". Now explain how the ones fired , let go or relieved of duty are idiots.
You made the statement and it was a direct reply to Jim 's post , only later did you reply that long version to another members post and that did not negate or explain your previous separate direct reply to Jim!
"idiots on both sides"

Your spin does not work with me Hoss.
You made the statement so explain how the second side - the fired men were "idiots"..
Do splain Lucy. ;)-Tyr

namvet
09-12-2014, 08:54 AM
they refused to comply with an order issued last week by Maywood Fire Chief Craig Bronaugh.

that's pretty much shove it up your ass. a red white and blue enema that requires surgical removal

fj1200
09-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Do splain Lucy. ;)-Tyr

I'm trying, you're not comprehending. BTW, it's called a hypothetical. FWIW at no point did I speak ill of the firefighters who wanted to display flags and insignia.

It seems like this kind of thing ...

But go ahead and call me a leftie. You know you want to because you have nothing left. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-12-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm trying, you're not comprehending. BTW, it's called a hypothetical. FWIW at no point did I speak ill of the firefighters who wanted to display flags and insignia.

But go ahead and call me a leftie. You know you want to because you have nothing left. :)

Sure I do. I have tons of logical reasoning to apply in the future.

I am not the one making a list of false accusations, you are.

By the way--do explain how that hypothetical works when it point out--"both" sides were idiots. Is that a new type of hypothetical in which a bold faced lie is ok to just toss in? - ;)-Tyr

fj1200
09-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Sure I do. I have tons of logical reasoning to apply in the future.

I am not the one making a list of false accusations, you are.

By the way--do explain how that hypothetical works when it point out--"both" sides were idiots. Is that a new type of hypothetical in which a bold faced lie is ok to just toss in? - ;)-Tyr

Oh geez, this again? I only accuse what I can prove... and have. ;) Maybe you'll start another thread and then run away when the going gets tough.

Oh, and that comprehension thing involves reading even stuff that wasn't bolded.

It seems like this kind of thing ...

paper bag > your logic