PDA

View Full Version : Driving Drunk

Gunny
09-12-2014, 12:22 PM
So I'm standing in the store getting ready to walk out with my goods when I hear this explosion. Not a good noise to make around a jarhead. After jumping high enough Michael Jordan would have been envious, I come down in a combat crouch.

Here sits this little old bat, about the size of a 10 years old boy, clutching the steering wheel with both hands just looking at me ... from about 5 feet. Talk about your adrenalin rush. I was shaking like a leaf on a fall day. SO walk over and ask this screwy old bat if she's okay. She nods and replies yes. Her breath said it all. And trust me, I can smell booze a mile away in a windstorm. :laugh:

I almost felt sorry for her. She'll be spending the weekend in jail. No way does she get a bond hearing this late on a Friday.

I know I've driven when I was drinking. Never lit up like Christmas tree but it was STILL stupid. Had that door frame not hung up her car, I'd have been mowed down in Walgreen's. There's just something SO undignified about that.:laugh:

darin
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
So - glad you're okay or whatever...but...

PICS????

:D

Gunny
09-12-2014, 01:13 PM
So - glad you're okay or whatever...but...

PICS????

:D

Y'know, I'm still pretty quick, but the last thing I thought of was taking a pic. And I had my phone. I was doing the old guy thing and writing down the tag number in case she decided to reverse it out of there. And trying to get my heart rate back down.

Damn. I must be getting old. I could have pics and everything to post on facebook. :laugh: Well, I'd have to join Facebook first, but whatever. :laugh:

gabosaurus
09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
That woman doesn't need a bond hearing. She needs to lose her license.
Eh, my views of DUI are not popular, so I won't restate them.

Gunny
09-12-2014, 01:24 PM
That woman doesn't need a bond hearing. She needs to lose her license.
Eh, my views of DUI are not popular, so I won't restate them.

She's still entitled to her Rights, gabby. I think most everybody at some point has driven drunk. But geez ... this woman was trying to singe my eyelashes off from a good 3-4 feet away.

I'm not excusing driving drunk. I'm just saying even drunk, I was smart enough to WALK to the damned store.

aboutime
09-12-2014, 02:10 PM
WRONG GUNNY. Nobody should ever DRIVE DRUNK. No excuses, no emergencies, no reasons. Because many, or all of us have done it at one time or another still doesn't make it WRONG, or STUPID.

Around here. We read about DUI perps who have been convicted more than 3, 5, and even 10 times. And they still are getting behind the wheel after DRINKING.

ANYONE who drinks and drives, or is on Drugs and drives. DESERVES TO REMAIN BEHIND BARS. PERIOD.

gabosaurus
09-12-2014, 02:10 PM
She's still entitled to her Rights, gabby. I think most everybody at some point has driven drunk.

Depends on whether you drink or not.
Gunny, this woman endangered your safety. And those of others, I assume.
If convicted of DUI, she needs to have her license suspended for six months. Or a mandatory jail term if anyone is hurt.
I have no sympathy or lenience for those convicted of DUI.

Gunny
09-12-2014, 03:33 PM
WRONG GUNNY. Nobody should ever DRIVE DRUNK. No excuses, no emergencies, no reasons. Because many, or all of us have done it at one time or another still doesn't make it WRONG, or STUPID.

Around here. We read about DUI perps who have been convicted more than 3, 5, and even 10 times. And they still are getting behind the wheel after DRINKING.

ANYONE who drinks and drives, or is on Drugs and drives. DESERVES TO REMAIN BEHIND BARS. PERIOD.

Huh? I made no excuses. I said it was wrong. I also said most of us have done it at some point. That isn't excusing anything. Just stating a fact.

They shouldn't remain behind bars anymore than anyone else accused of a crime. You're allowed to bond out. People make mistakes. Intolerance to mistakes is what's wrong with our society. Hell, I'm the one that almost gut run over.:laugh:

Gunny
09-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Depends on whether you drink or not.
Gunny, this woman endangered your safety. And those of others, I assume.
If convicted of DUI, she needs to have her license suspended for six months. Or a mandatory jail term if anyone is hurt.
I have no sympathy or lenience for those convicted of DUI.

I can't drink. Problem solved for me. And it was only me.

I don't care if they suspend her license if she's convicted. I have sympathy for tiny little old ladies being thrown in population in a jail.

aboutime
09-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Huh? I made no excuses. I said it was wrong. I also said most of us have done it at some point. That isn't excusing anything. Just stating a fact.

They shouldn't remain behind bars anymore than anyone else accused of a crime. You're allowed to bond out. People make mistakes. Intolerance to mistakes is what's wrong with our society. Hell, I'm the one that almost gut run over.:laugh:

Gunny. Never said You were making excuses. As for repeat DUI'er's who get bonded out. That's the problem with our society. What limits, or numbers of convictions would you enjoy had that woman hit you, and destroyed your body? Would you just tell her to be Careful next time she decided to drink and drive? And what if she had hit one, or several children instead?

We see it all the time. There should be NO SECOND CHANCES for DUI offenders. And I am JUST STATING A FACT.

Gunny
09-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Gunny. Never said You were making excuses. As for repeat DUI'er's who get bonded out. That's the problem with our society. What limits, or numbers of convictions would you enjoy had that woman hit you, and destroyed your body? Would you just tell her to be Careful next time she decided to drink and drive? And what if she had hit one, or several children instead?

We see it all the time. There should be NO SECOND CHANCES for DUI offenders. And I am JUST STATING A FACT.

You are assuming she already has one. You're on a specific issue of repeat offenders. I was describing a single incident. You're talking in extremes. I was too high in the air for her to hit me. I'd have landed on the hood.:laugh:

The point is, she didn't hit me, nor several children or it would be a completely different story. And I'm a jarhead, and nowhere near as life or death serious about everything as you are. At the worst possible moment when everything has gone to shit, we start making smartass remarks. That's how we deal. ;)

Abbey Marie
09-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Demon alcohol. Very glad you are ok!

Gunny
09-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Demon alcohol. Very glad you are ok!

Here's your update: The cops sent her home.

aboutime
09-12-2014, 05:43 PM
You are assuming she already has one. You're on a specific issue of repeat offenders. I was describing a single incident. You're talking in extremes. I was too high in the air for her to hit me. I'd have landed on the hood.:laugh:

The point is, she didn't hit me, nor several children or it would be a completely different story. And I'm a jarhead, and nowhere near as life or death serious about everything as you are. At the worst possible moment when everything has gone to shit, we start making smartass remarks. That's how we deal. ;)

Never mind Gunny. No need in arguing about this. Neither of us are Liberals. Let them argue.

By the way Marine. Since today is FRIDAY.

What does "TGIF" stand for?

Redrose
09-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Glad you're OK, that's too close for comfort. She may have mixed booze and meds. Not a good combo, especially behind the wheel.

My 90 year old mom, (never drunk) has Macular Degeneration, can't see the central field of vision. We had to take her car and license away. She kept going through red lights. Amazing no accidents were caused. I asked her why she kept going when her traffic was stopped in the next lane? She said she didn't see any traffic!!

Gunny
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Never mind Gunny. No need in arguing about this. Neither of us are Liberals. Let them argue.

By the way Marine. Since today is FRIDAY.

What does "TGIF" stand for?

It's missing an "S & T" at the end. Thank God I'm Fucking Sober Tonight.

You got a different definition I assume? :laugh:

aboutime
09-12-2014, 05:48 PM
It's missing an "S & T" at the end. Thank God I'm Fucking Sober Tonight.

You got a different definition I assume? :laugh:

:laugh: Yes. "Toes Go In First"...the letters found inside every Marine's boots. TGIF.

Gunny
09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
:laugh: Yes. "Toes Go In First"...the letters found inside every Marine's boots. TGIF.

How does THAT help? We can't read. Is there a picture?

aboutime
09-12-2014, 06:02 PM
How does THAT help? We can't read. Is there a picture?

try this... "CHOW TIME!"

Gunny
09-12-2014, 06:08 PM
try this... "CHOW TIME!"

Oh. We can spell THAT. No problem. :)

aboutime
09-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Oh. We can spell THAT. No problem. :)

And finally.....SEMPER FI! http://icansayit.com/images/IWOJIMA.JPG

Noir
09-12-2014, 06:40 PM
She's still entitled to her Rights, gabby.

Abuse your rights - lose your rights

[quote]I think most everybody at some point has driven drunk./QUOTE]

The kind of sentence that should never be uttered.

Gunny
09-13-2014, 04:56 AM
Abuse your rights - lose your rights

[quote]I think most everybody at some point has driven drunk./QUOTE]

The kind of sentence that should never be uttered.

Possibly, but not speaking the truth doesn't make it not so. Covering your eyes with your hands doesn't mean we can't still see you, young 'un.

I'm open and honest with myself about the issue and took measures to correct my behavior after years of doing just what you said ... pretending it wasn't there. And guess what one of the BIGGEST issues that has to be addressed is? Society NOT addressing the issue until something happens and the lynch mob forms. Societal pressure to be flawless. No weaknesses allowed. People who NEED help are afraid to ask for it. Not good for the image we wish to present.

Everyone's got their kryptonite, bubba. Our society wants to chastise and crucify after the fact; yet, pretend there isn't an issue before the fact. You have to address the disease, not the symptom.

Noir
09-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Possibly, but not speaking the truth doesn't make it not so. Covering your eyes with your hands doesn't mean we can't still see you, young 'un.

The point being - people who have driven drunk convince themselves the truth is "most everybody at some point has driven drunk". No, most everybody has not driven drunk at some point.

Gunny
09-13-2014, 05:57 AM
The point being - people who have driven drunk convince themselves the truth is "most everybody at some point has driven drunk". No, most everybody has not driven drunk at some point.

When was the last time you lived in the US? Don't make a generalization when you have no clue. And try to not put words in my mouth, especially since I've explained my statement more than once in this thread. I used it as a statement of fact, not an excuse.

But yes, most everyone has driven while intoxicated whether or not your little world wishes to accept that fact. You probably have too and just refuse to admit it. Then again, looking at your avi, you're probably one of those dull, PC people with no life who may not have ever done anything that requires risk.

Let's try getting those little brain cells to click. If someone has a problem, jail isn't always the answer. Take their keys away and put them in a program. Put a GPS monitor on their ankle and make them stay home except to go to work.

I spent YEARS trying to quit drinking. I'm a big, badass Marine. Willpower alone will take care of this, right? Never worked. Three months of education and I've been sober since. And you know what the worst thing an alcoholic has to face? Idiots who say "well, why don't you just quit?" Well sherlock, good thing I never thought of that.

Noir
09-13-2014, 06:10 AM
But yes, most everyone has driven while intoxicated whether or not your little world wishes to accept that fact. You probably have too and just refuse to admit it. Then again, looking at your avi, you're probably one of those dull, PC people with no life who may not have ever done anything that requires risk.

Well it was only a matter of time before the personal insults started, based on my gorgeous Avatar of all things? :*

Personally I've never driven drunk, or indeed been drunk, I may not be a roughly-toughy marine, but i make up for that with fierce will. Not that that has anything to do with alcoholism, which is a mental illness, and -as you say- not corrected by prison, but by education. However, that does not mean they should also not face punishment.

Gunny
09-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Well it was only a matter of time before the personal insults started, based on my gorgeous Avatar of all things? :*

Personally I've never driven drunk, or indeed been drunk, I may not be a roughly-toughy marine, but i make up for that with fierce will. Not that that has anything to do with alcoholism, which is a mental illness, and -as you say- not corrected by prison, but by education. However, that does not mean they should also not face punishment.

My comment was directed at your age. Nothing more than that. People from different generations have different views.

I did not say anyone should not face punishment. Not even close. There are two subjects being addressed and you're hopping from one to the other. I am all about personal responsibility. Period. If you commit a crime, then you have to do the time.

Doing time however does not address the underlying issue. All you learn how to do in jail is hate. THAT does not address the problem that got the person there to begin with. Which, means that person is doomed to repeat the behavior.

jimnyc
09-13-2014, 07:38 AM
I've drove drunk many times before. Just being honest, I'm not proud of it. I had an incident a few years back where I was busted dead to rights, drunk as a skunk, and the officer let me go anyway. I KNOW I was wrong. I think I may have had a couple of drinks since then, but rarely - and I haven't went near the wheel since. I was naive, thinking I was invincible, and smarter than the police and a good driver and all of that crap. I got lucky, both criminally and not getting hurt or hurting someone else, I know that.

Gunny
09-13-2014, 08:11 AM
I've drove drunk many times before. Just being honest, I'm not proud of it. I had an incident a few years back where I was busted dead to rights, drunk as a skunk, and the officer let me go anyway. I KNOW I was wrong. I think I may have had a couple of drinks since then, but rarely - and I haven't went near the wheel since. I was naive, thinking I was invincible, and smarter than the police and a good driver and all of that crap. I got lucky, both criminally and not getting hurt or hurting someone else, I know that.

I never said it was anything to be proud of. Just that we did it. It's stupid. It's also one of the biggest reasons I finally woke up and quit drinking. I was "gone" for over a week and only started coming to as the handcuffs were being placed on me. For disorderly conduct, not DUI. I don't want to be in prison for the rest of my life for something I don't remember doing. And trying to explain "I don't remember" @shadow is hard.

Even if I slip up, I'm walking. Point is, I had to reach that point before the mule kicked me in the head. Some people never learn. It's an individual thing.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-13-2014, 07:05 PM
When was the last time you lived in the US? Don't make a generalization when you have no clue. And try to not put words in my mouth, especially since I've explained my statement more than once in this thread. I used it as a statement of fact, not an excuse.

Let's try getting those little brain cells to click. If someone has a problem, jail isn't always the answer. Take their keys away and put them in a program. Put a GPS monitor on their ankle and make them stay home except to go to work.

I spent YEARS trying to quit drinking. I'm a big, badass Marine. Willpower alone will take care of this, right? Never worked. Three months of education and I've been sober since. And you know what the worst thing an alcoholic has to face? Idiots who say "well, why don't you just quit?" Well sherlock, good thing I never thought of that.

I drove drunk a few dozen times as a young man. I was even the designated drunk driver when our group went out to waste a night, blast one on , chase tha' free spirited gals. Proud only that I drove well enough drunk not to have ever wrecked, hurt anybody or got stopped for any reason by the law! Ages 18 to 26 I did that. After age 27 I never chanced it.. And admit my taking chances earlier was foolish. -Tyr

gabosaurus
09-13-2014, 11:06 PM
The alcohol and legal lobbies will insure that police never sufficiently crack down on drunk driving. Because both of them stand to lose too much money.
In many states, DUI is a very easy (but expensive) defense. The standards for conviction are so strict, lawyers know exactly which questions to ask and which procedures to invokes.
I talked with an attorney in Dallas once who said that DUI defense starts at $15,000 and goes up. He had worked more than 300 cases and had an acquittal rate of around 85 percent. Because all the jury needs is reasonable doubt. He and his partner defended the same guy four times and got him off the first three. The fourth time he was so blindly drunk that he plead guilty.
Alcohol abuse is ingrained in our culture. It's very cool to proclaim how shitfaced drunk you were, especially when you are younger. The alcohol industry promotes how much fun it is to drink. It's not a party without drinking a lot.
Police get very frustrated because stop drivers who are falling down drunk. But if their sobriety tests are not done to the letter of the law, on camera, they lose the cases on technicalities. It's pretty sad.