PDA

View Full Version : Don't mix TheraFlu and coffee

jimnyc
09-13-2014, 10:07 AM
So I got up this morn and immediately grabbed my coffee. I've also been fighting a bit of a cold. After a few cups of coffee, I figured I would now drink the hot theraflu crap, as I'm all stuffed up and have an itchy throat. Well, about 20 minutes after guzzling that stuff, I feel my heart racing and realize I was starting to get all shaky. No doubt the caffeine is not a good mix with whatever is in the theraflu. That was a couple of hours ago and I'm starting to feel better now, but was all sped up like I snorted a huge line of cocaine! At least what I think it would feel like, not that I ever tried bad drugs like that before!

:badsnort:

Abbey Marie
09-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Jim, your little snorter-smiley is doing it without a nose. Pretty tricky. :laugh2:

Gunny
09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
So I got up this morn and immediately grabbed my coffee. I've also been fighting a bit of a cold. After a few cups of coffee, I figured I would now drink the hot theraflu crap, as I'm all stuffed up and have an itchy throat. Well, about 20 minutes after guzzling that stuff, I feel my heart racing and realize I was starting to get all shaky. No doubt the caffeine is not a good mix with whatever is in the theraflu. That was a couple of hours ago and I'm starting to feel better now, but was all sped up like I snorted a huge line of cocaine! At least what I think it would feel like, not that I ever tried bad drugs like that before!

I'm LMAO. You don't mix coffee and cold medicine. :laugh:

jimnyc
09-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Jim, your little snorter-smiley is doing it without a nose. Pretty tricky. :laugh2:

Looks like it may have went straight through his eyeballs!

Turns out, a decongestant or whatever is in here is a "stimulant". WTF? I have the nighttime help me fall asleep version, why the F would it have a damn stimulant in it? The woman of the house said it's because it's not enough to cause one to stay up, and the other meds are what help you sleep, but when mixed with caffeine the stimulant has another effect!

And then something happened and I crashed. I just woke up now and feel horrible. All the symptoms are back.

So here I sit, sipping on my Theraflu!! :laugh:

aboutime
09-13-2014, 04:20 PM

Jim. Just wondering. Did you happen to read the WARNING label before taking the Theraflu?

Some of my meds, and I take 12 of them for various reasons. Warn about STIMULANTS working against the drugs in many cases.

Aside from my Permanent Cancer Stint (Estrogen inhancer) in my arm. When I combine my Favorite coffee in the morning with my morning meds. I get an instant HOT FLASH, ALL SWEATY, and my PULSE increases. Not something I enjoy, or need. So...ya gotta be careful.
SEE HOW MUCH FUN GETTIN' OLDER CAN BE????

jimnyc
09-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Jim. Just wondering. Did you happen to read the WARNING label before taking the Theraflu?

Some of my meds, and I take 12 of them for various reasons. Warn about STIMULANTS working against the drugs in many cases.

Aside from my Permanent Cancer Stint (Estrogen inhancer) in my arm. When I combine my Favorite coffee in the morning with my morning meds. I get an instant HOT FLASH, ALL SWEATY, and my PULSE increases. Not something I enjoy, or need. So...ya gotta be careful.
SEE HOW MUCH FUN GETTIN' OLDER CAN BE????

Nah, I was just a dumbass and assumed it would be fine. I figured it would relieve the symptoms and have me laying down at worst. :(

jimnyc
09-15-2014, 08:27 AM
I just got progressively worse over the weekend. The medication seemed to be helping less and less. My chest was only a little congested, but I was coughing up some nasty phlegm stuff. The throat was itchy, but didn't "hurt" to swallow. My nose was runny, but worse, when it wasn't running it was burning. This woke me up 2 nights in a row, where I needed to get up, take medicine and sit upright a bit. I was taking Theraflu, and then was taking Alka Seltzer cold crap - both seem to have almost identical ingredients. I just figured it was a nasty cold that would take a few days.

So I feel even worse this morning. I go to Walgreens and bring both medications to the pharmacist and explain to him the symptoms, and ask his recommendation. He immediately started in with allergies. I told him I was coughing stuff up and explained all my symptoms and he still believed I was describing allergies.

I looked for Sudafed as I remember in the past this had helped with my allergies. That's behind the counter - but he recommended "Allegra D" to me, a 12 hour version which has a lot of pseudo ephedrine in it. Well shit if it didn't start clearing up my nose within like 30 minutes, and slowly starting to help the other symptoms. He even said it may take a few doses before it fully helps, but it's already helped more than the others.

You guys see severe symptoms from allergies? Change of seasons? This had all the earmarks of a typical nasty cold.

Gunny
09-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Looks like it may have went straight through his eyeballs!

Turns out, a decongestant or whatever is in here is a "stimulant". WTF? I have the nighttime help me fall asleep version, why the F would it have a damn stimulant in it? The woman of the house said it's because it's not enough to cause one to stay up, and the other meds are what help you sleep, but when mixed with caffeine the stimulant has another effect!

And then something happened and I crashed. I just woke up now and feel horrible. All the symptoms are back.

So here I sit, sipping on my Theraflu!! :laugh:

I just nave to be careful what I take. Some of that will turn me into an over-wound rubber band. :)

aboutime
09-15-2014, 03:30 PM
I just got progressively worse over the weekend. The medication seemed to be helping less and less. My chest was only a little congested, but I was coughing up some nasty phlegm stuff. The throat was itchy, but didn't "hurt" to swallow. My nose was runny, but worse, when it wasn't running it was burning. This woke me up 2 nights in a row, where I needed to get up, take medicine and sit upright a bit. I was taking Theraflu, and then was taking Alka Seltzer cold crap - both seem to have almost identical ingredients. I just figured it was a nasty cold that would take a few days.

So I feel even worse this morning. I go to Walgreens and bring both medications to the pharmacist and explain to him the symptoms, and ask his recommendation. He immediately started in with allergies. I told him I was coughing stuff up and explained all my symptoms and he still believed I was describing allergies.

I looked for Sudafed as I remember in the past this had helped with my allergies. That's behind the counter - but he recommended "Allegra D" to me, a 12 hour version which has a lot of pseudo ephedrine in it. Well shit if it didn't start clearing up my nose within like 30 minutes, and slowly starting to help the other symptoms. He even said it may take a few doses before it fully helps, but it's already helped more than the others.

You guys see severe symptoms from allergies? Change of seasons? This had all the earmarks of a typical nasty cold.

Jim. Without any doubt. I think we all see some form of allergies attacking us. The change of seasons is like clockwork.
For me. My "UNCLE ARTHUR" Feels an instant change every time the temperature, and humidity change.
If the Humidity gets over 65%, I feel it. The Barometric pressure climbs with a storm..I feel it, and every bone in my body, joints and all are hurting like they are all in competition with each other. Then, there's the sniffles, congestion, and coughing...all remnants of my 50 years of Smoking. Your Old Body Never Forgets how you Treated it.

SassyLady
09-17-2014, 02:21 AM

I have currently been coughing up the icky green yuckies for over two weeks and it's all allergies. I don't have the runny nose (just two massive nose bleeds and to urgent care for them) or all the other symptoms you have. Just the coughing up stuff.

I can't take any of that Theraflu or Alkaseltzer stuff because I'm on a MAOI thing and can't mix the stuff.... so, I just drink tons of water and take Excedrin.

Good luck ... I hope you feel better soon.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-17-2014, 08:31 AM
I have currently been coughing up the icky green yuckies for over two weeks and it's all allergies. I don't have the runny nose (just two massive nose bleeds and to urgent care for them) or all the other symptoms you have. Just the coughing up stuff.

I can't take any of that Theraflu or Alkaseltzer stuff because I'm on a MAOI thing and can't mix the stuff.... so, I just drink tons of water and take Excedrin.

Good luck ... I hope you feel better soon.

A suggestion if I may.
My friend , heavy doses of vitamin C all year round will most likely help you with that. I have been doing that for 14 years now(since 2000), only gotten one cold and within the first 6 months after I started that regimen my lifelong allergy problems went to almost nil..
Also this is a biggie, buy honey unpasteurized made in your local area . Consume at least a spoonful every day or two-- my daughter had extreme massive allergy problems when she first moved to Nashville, her doctor had her do this and within three weeks her allergy problems vanished --that was after 3 seasons of pure hell. It works.
And correct is, drink tons of water, all year long.
It is a fantastic preventative regimen...At least it has been for me..-Tyr

Abbey Marie
09-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Tyr, I want to suggest this to my husband. How much Vitamin C do you take?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Tyr, I want to suggest this to my husband. How much Vitamin C do you take?

I take a max dose. I buy mine at Walmart and this brand -

Spring Valley, Natural C, 1000 mg with Rose Hips, instructed dosage on bottle is once a day with a meal but I take two a day . Sometimes I also take on occasion once every few days this
NatureMade, Chewable C, 500mg-orange flavored...

Just remember for sinus allergies etc, the "unpasteurized" local produced honey is a must!! For that acclimates the body to the local pollens that attack the allergy victims so much.

I suggest doing both but if only starting the vitamin C therapy it takes time to kick in , about 4 to 6 weeks, after that stay on the schedule and the dosage you guys deem to be the best even if its only the recommended dosage listed on the bottle. My body works well with the max dose(double the recommended dosage). -Tyr

SassyLady
09-17-2014, 11:17 PM
A suggestion if I may.
My friend , heavy doses of vitamin C all year round will most likely help you with that. I have been doing that for 14 years now(since 2000), only gotten one cold and within the first 6 months after I started that regimen my lifelong allergy problems went to almost nil..
Also this is a biggie, buy honey unpasteurized made in your local area . Consume at least a spoonful every day or two-- my daughter had extreme massive allergy problems when she first moved to Nashville, her doctor had her do this and within three weeks her allergy problems vanished --that was after 3 seasons of pure hell. It works.
And correct is, drink tons of water, all year long.
It is a fantastic preventative regimen...At least it has been for me..-Tyr

Thanks for the advice Tyr .... I've been doing the honey thing for over 20 years. I can get it in Orange Popcicyle flavor and Cinnamon flavor. This person makes tons of different flavors and you can only buy at the local farmer's market fair things.

Tyr ... as for the vitamin C. My friend does the same as you ... everyday for years. However, I've never taken it. Never had to because I never get colds. However, I had pneumonia (aspirated some liquid) in July and was just getting over it when I decided to sell my house and move. Six weeks of sorting through 30 years of "crap" has exposed me to dirt, mildew, mold, dead rats/squirrels (in barn), new mulch (woodland variety with loads of allergens), paint, bleach, glue remover and various other stuff that has given me massive allergies .... plus the harvest has started and that always gives me a sinus infection. This isn't quite a sinus infection because my sinuses are fine ... it just started with a need to cough up stuff about 2-3 weeks ago and just hasn't gone away. Probably part of the pneumonia and the allergies. Finished packing today, entire house will be while glove clean by Sunday so I hope this allergy thing will go away after that.

Jim, have you tried Fluticasone? It's a prescription nasal spray and immediately opens up the nasal passages, making it easier to breathe, thus less dry throat and need to cough. Anyway, I use it religiously to keep my nose from getting all wonky on me.

Keep us posted

shattered
09-18-2014, 12:22 AM

It mixes fine. I think hes just on somethin else he aint tellin. :)

jimnyc
09-18-2014, 05:51 AM
It mixes fine. I think hes just on somethin else he aint tellin. :)

Oh man, I can think of several things that would help me more than Theraflu!! :) Now you guys should know by now that I would be loud and proud about anything bad I may have done. Or loud and proud about something stupid I took that is about to kill me! :laugh:

shattered
09-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Oh man, I can think of several things that would help me more than Theraflu!! :) Now you guys should know by now that I would be loud and proud about anything bad I may have done. Or loud and proud about something stupid I took that is about to kill me! :laugh:

For what it's worth, feel for ya. Whatever is going around is a whopper.. I've been down since Sunday, and it's not letting up any... Today is Thursday. :(

Abbey Marie
09-20-2016, 10:26 AM
With cold & Flu season looming ahead, a bump of this thread may be helpful.

:cool:

Perianne
09-20-2016, 10:41 AM

How would you know what snorting a line of cocaine feels like? I certainly don't.