PDA

View Full Version : Condi Rice to lead NFL?

jimnyc
09-17-2014, 08:55 AM
That would be awesome! Of course she would need to drop her allegiance to the Brownies, but I'm willing to forgive and forget. :)

While there are still many questions to be answered as the NFL investigates its handling of Ray Rice's assault case, there are already a handful of prominent voices calling for commissioner Roger Goodell to step down and an intriguing candidate to take his place.

U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Karl Rove and several columnists have advocated for Condoleezza Rice, who once said that running the NFL would be her "dream job."

Goodell has come under intense scrutiny for giving Rice only two-game suspension. After release of a video showing Rice knocking out his then-fiancee, there are questions as to how much Goodell knew when he initially punished the Baltimore Ravens' star running back.

Goodell has asked former FBI director Robert S. Mueller III to investigate the league's handling of the issue. And while any judgement is still far away, some observers are already calling for Goodell to step down.

Gillibrand, a Democrat from New York (coincidentally the same state Goodell's father represented in the U.S. Senate), is one of those critics. She's said that if Goodell lied, he "has to step down." In his place Gillibrand advocated for Rice.

"She's a role model and she's smart. She loves the sport. She performed extremely well as secretary of state," Gillibrand said of Rice. "She's a very smart, qualified woman who probably could make a huge difference in the NFL."

Writing for The Telegraph, Oliver Brown noted that Rice's diverse background could help her as NFL commissioner:

"Irrespective of one’s political sympathies, Rice has brought prodigious energy to discharging every responsibility she has been handed, whether as national security advisor or provost of Stanford University. Tenacity and forensic problem-solving are the hallmarks of her leadership. Zalmay Khalizad, US ambassador to the United Nations under George W Bush, recalls how she would captivate world leaders with little to interest in the NFL with her encyclopaedic knowledge of the game."

While it's unclear if she would take the job, the 59-year-old Rice certainly has the sports credentials for the top spot. Not only is she a professed diehard football fan, she is a member of the College Football Playoff selection committee. She's also one of the first two women admitted to Augusta National.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201409/roger-goodell-nfl-condoleezza-rice-nfl

Abbey Marie
09-17-2014, 09:00 AM
I believe I posted a couple of weeks ago that this is my wish. Go Condi!!

jimnyc
09-17-2014, 09:02 AM
I believe I posted a couple of weeks ago that this is my wish. Go Condi!!

Yes, you did, and that was my first thought when I saw the article! I honestly thought you were joking when you said that. :)

Abbey Marie
09-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Yes, you did, and that was my first thought when I saw the article! I honestly thought you were joking when you said that. :)

I have the utmost respect for her, and she has said for years that NFL Commish is her dream job. She would single-handedly bring integrity back to the NFL.

Gunny
09-17-2014, 09:28 AM
I have the utmost respect for her, and she has said for years that NFL Commish is her dream job. She would single-handedly bring integrity back to the NFL.

While I have no problem with her should she somehow end up with the job, I doubt she will single-handedly bring integrity back to the NFL. What it will accomplish is:

Oust Goodell whose handling of these current issues is abysmal. Not for what he did or didn't know when, but his dancing to the media's drum.

Give all these squealing women's groups their pound of flesh in hopes they'll shut the Hell up until they can find something else to overreact to.

Abbey Marie
09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
While I have no problem with her should she somehow end up with the job, I doubt she will single-handedly bring integrity back to the NFL. What it will accomplish is:

Oust Goodell whose handling of these current issues is abysmal. Not for what he did or didn't know when, but his dancing to the media's drum.

Give all these squealing women's groups their pound of flesh in hopes they'll shut the Hell up until they can find something else to overreact to.

Womens' groups tend to go like this: "Liberal issues first, all other considerations second".

I doubt they would support a Republican woman for anything.

And I would never underestimate Condi. She appears to have high morals, and the ability to succeed in most anything.

Born2DecadesLate
09-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Womens' groups tend to go like this: "Liberal issues first, all other considerations second".

And I would never underestimate Condi. She appears to have high morals, and the ability to succeed in most anything.

Why can't you women be happy being housewives as God intended? Seriously, that is women are suited for.

jimnyc
09-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Why can't you women be happy being housewives as God intended? Seriously, that is women are suited for.

If this women thing is a schtick, lose it. If you truly are here to spout this 'women get in the kitchen thing' - you're not going to make it to post #10

Gunny
09-17-2014, 04:05 PM

I'm not underestimating her at all. But she can't fix a societal problem.. These athletes may be pampered and over-paid, but they STILL live what they learn.

Goodell has screwed the pooch because of his dancing around. There actually four players accused of domestic violence. The player on the 49ers is still playing and no one's paying him any mind at all.

Ray Rice gets through his court thing, and the NFL punishes him. The tape comes out and the media blitzes it, enrages as many women's advocacy groups as possible and to appease them, he punishes Ray Rice again. Not really keeping with the spirit of being American.

The guy on Carolina was held out one game. Now he can live minute by minute the same way

Adrian Peterson was. Goodell didn't even have to get involved there. The Vikings flip-flopped on their own and caved to high-minded, overly sanctimonious sponsors.

So, to start, there needs to be ONE policy and ONE punishment. And that punishment should reflect the ideals that founded this Nation. Innocent until proven guilty.

I have no doubt Condi could be damned good NFL Commissioner. She can't however control the media, or she'll be accused of hiding crap like Goodell currently is.

Born2DecadesLate
09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
If this women thing is a schtick, lose it. If you truly are here to spout this 'women get in the kitchen thing' - you're not going to make it to post #10

I don't do shtick.

Would you like to discuss how much better the world would be if every home had a loving mother who was doing her role under His plan and every Father was doing his as well?

Sir Evil
09-17-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't do shtick.

Would you like to discuss how much better the world would be if every home had a loving mother who was doing her role under His plan and every Father was doing his as well?

:lol:

Perhaps a few too many decades late....get with reality man...

aboutime
09-17-2014, 06:00 PM

Pretending, and being ARCHIE BUNKER here on DP will only get you the wrath you so rightly, and foolishly deserve.

http://icansayit.com/images/archieb.jpg

You must have had a terrible childhood that has yet to end.

jimnyc
09-17-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't do shtick.

No, this thread is about sports, Condi Rice, the NFL.

Gunny
09-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Pretending, and being ARCHIE BUNKER here on DP will only get you the wrath you so rightly, and foolishly deserve.

Big difference. Archie Bunker was funny. ;)

Born2DecadesLate
09-17-2014, 06:35 PM

If I get wrath for being who I am, then I will just move along. No big deal.

But, comparing me to Archie Bunker is hardly fair.

I'm not a racist, or a bigot, or a misogynist. In fact I love women. I'm not saying women aren't capable of doing these types of jobs, what I AM saying is that society would be better off if they chose not to. If they instead chose to stay home and pour their energies intro raising respectable , well mannered, productive children.

Sir Evil
09-17-2014, 06:37 PM

I'm not a racist, or a bigot, or a misogynist. In fact I love women. I'm not saying women aren't capable of doing these types of jobs, what I AM saying is that society would be better off if they chose not to. If they instead chose to stay home and pour their energies intro raising respectable , well mannered, productive children.

It sure came off sounding a little different initially but good clarification! :beer:

jimnyc
09-17-2014, 06:39 PM

You love women - but came into a thread about Condi Rice and the NFL - solely so that you could point out that women are only suited to be housewives? Which has nothing to do with the thread. I can feel the love!

Gunny
09-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Blame the women for that. They refused to give up their jobs after WWII. The economy slowly shifted to sucking off two incomes instead of one. The ones that want to be housewives suffer because of the ones that didn't. 1950s Utopia no longer exists. Utopia would be defined as everyone living in fear of a nuclear holocaust and massive inflation.

Born2DecadesLate
09-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Blame the women for that. They refused to give up their jobs after WWII. The economy slowly shifted to sucking off two incomes instead of one. The ones that want to be housewives suffer because of the ones that didn't. 1950s Utopia no longer exists. Utopia would be defined as everyone living in fear of a nuclear holocaust and massive inflation.

See, I agree with that. My wife is a housewife and has been since we married, she knew going in that that would be her role if we married and she accepted and even I dare say enjoys it, but she has had at various bases several women demean her for her choices.

She chose to stay home and provide the family structure while i was out defending the world, okay not defending the world, but anyway.

But anyway, I want to clarify, I don't think women are incapable of doing jobs outside of the home, I just believe there talents would be better put to use at home.

This assumes they have children of course. Which negates my entire argument I believe with it comes to C Rice. I was just making a general statement and my unfamiliarity with message boards led to my point not being made, my mistake.

Gunny
09-17-2014, 08:13 PM
See, I agree with that. My wife is a housewife and has been since we married, she knew going in that that would be her role if we married and she accepted and even I dare say enjoys it, but she has had at various bases several women demean her for her choices.

She chose to stay home and provide the family structure while i was out defending the world, okay not defending the world, but anyway.

But anyway, I want to clarify, I don't think women are incapable of doing jobs outside of the home, I just believe there talents would be better put to use at home.

This assumes they have children of course. Which negates my entire argument I believe with it comes to C Rice. I was just making a general statement and my unfamiliarity with message boards led to my point not being made, my mistake.

Okay. I was a single parent as an active duty Marine. I can cook better than any wife or GF I ever had, could iron my clothes better, do laundry, clean house like a Marine, AND I got to explain my daughter's first period to her. AND I can sew better than any of them.

And I STILL went out and "saved the world". I didn't limit myself to a stereotype. ;)

Your deal is yours. That doesn't make it work for everyone.

aboutime
09-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Never compared you to Archie Bunker. Would never insult his memory.

Abbey Marie
09-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Um, Ms. Rice doesn't have children.

Next point.