PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Hill schools' ban on U.S. flag shirts upheld

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Judges-School-ban-on-U-S-flag-shirts-bends-to-5762199.php

Morgan Hill schools' ban on U.S. flag shirts upheld

Bob Egelko

Updated 5:05 pm, Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Three conservative judges accused a federal appeals court Wednesday of catering to "the will of the mob" by refusing to reconsider a ruling upholding Morgan Hill school officials' decision to ban shirts showing American flags on Cinco de Mayo for fear of ethnic violence.

The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco ruled in February that given previous clashes at Live Oak High School, officials had reason for concern and thus did not violate freedom of speech when they refused to let students wear U.S. flags on their shirts on May 5, 2010.

The year before, a group of Mexican American students at the high school had walked around campus with a Mexican flag. Some Anglo students responded by hoisting a makeshift American flag up a tree, chanting "USA" and exchanging threats and profanities with the Latino youths.

On the 2010 holiday, the court said, several Anglo students wore U.S. flag shirts, and three of them were confronted by other students. Warned by students from both ethnic groups of potential problems, the principal told the youths either to turn their shirts inside out or go home.

Two chose to go home and were given excused absences, without punishment, while the other students turned their shirts inside out.

Three students and their parents then sued the Morgan Hill Unified School District, citing a 1969 U.S. Supreme Court ruling upholding students' right to wear black armbands to class in a silent protest against the Vietnam War. But the appeals court said schools can limit student expression to prevent the kind of disruption that seemed likely in Morgan Hill.

The school's actions "were tailored to avert violence and focused on student safety," Judge Margaret McKeown said in the 3-0 ruling.

On Wednesday, the panel said the plaintiffs' request for a rehearing had failed to gain a majority of votes on the 29-judge court. In a dissenting opinion, three conservative judges said the court should have reconsidered and reversed the February ruling as a violation of free speech.

The ruling "permits the will of the mob to rule our schools," said Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain, joined by Judges Richard Tallman and Carlos Bea. He said the court was allowing students to silence others by threatening them with violence.

Robert Muise of the American Freedom Law Center in Michigan, an attorney representing the students, said the youths would appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. "This is a decision that imperils the First Amendment," he said.

Basically, the schools say we let them(illegals -Mexicans) have their way, their flag and not you lousy Americans and your ffing flag! Then the fag Sadfransicko court upheld that travesty as usual.
This is why Islam is so sure they can eventually conquer, murder and enslave us!! Because the dem party, leftist/libs , PC idiots actively help them and keep us divided and fighting to just keep our basic rights..

We will one day have to fight--get used to that eventuality..
Truth is , it would be better sooner than later. Because later the opposition will be so very much stronger . I say better because truth is
"they" will force it...... Of course they want to force it when they are ready and that will be when we--true Americans- are at our weakest.
A sad reality that PC asshats , appeasers and other dumbass assorted vermin spend so much time attacking when it is presented for others to think about. My entire time here is living proof of that IMHO..-Tyr

darin
09-18-2014, 11:18 AM
the potential Violence and danger trump 'coddling' and 'suppression of freedom' every. single. time. There is no hope, people.

Gaffer
09-18-2014, 11:25 AM
It's the ninth circus court. What do you expect?

DLT
09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Basically, the schools say we let them(illegals -Mexicans) have their way, their flag and not you lousy Americans and your ffing flag! Then the fag Sadfransicko court upheld that travesty as usual.
This is why Islam is so sure they can eventually conquer, murder and enslave us!! Because the dem party, leftist/libs , PC idiots actively help them and keep us divided and fighting to just keep our basic rights..

We will one day have to fight--get used to that eventuality..
Truth is , it would be better sooner than later. Because later the opposition will be so very much stronger . I say better because truth is
"they" will force it...... Of course they want to force it when they are ready and that will be when we--true Americans- are at our weakest.
A sad reality that PC asshats , appeasers and other dumbass assorted vermin spend so much time attacking when it is presented for others to think about. My entire time here is living proof of that IMHO..-Tyr

Do you know of any other country that would do this? Protect the rights of foreign students over the rights of native-born, patriotic students? Only a nation in the death grip of leftist (anti-American) fascism would do this. And only a nation being run and ruined by their enemy within.

tailfins
09-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Students that are told they can't wear an American flag shirt should wear a CONFEDERATE flag shirt instead.

aboutime
09-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Do you know of any other country that would do this? Protect the rights of foreign students over the rights of native-born, patriotic students? Only a nation in the death grip of leftist (anti-American) fascism would do this. And only a nation being run and ruined by their enemy within.

DLT. This kind of stuff has the OBAMA STAMP all over it. Much like Obama's refusal to use BOOTS on the ground, or use the word ISLAMIC, or TERRORISTS, or ILLEGALS. All of whom have been shown to be some of his APPEASEMENT buddies.

Everyone should also take notice that None of Obama's mouthpieces use ISIS, and always use ISIL. They do not want to mention the involvement of SYRIA in anything they say. Meanwhile. I suspect Obama is hoping to make a big deal with IRAN, asking them to put BOOTS ON THE GROUND...in trade for NUKES being permitted to be built...rather than for ENERGY purposes as IRAN has been saying.

DO NOT TRUST OBAMA, KERRY, BIDEN, or that Lame Pretend Defense Secretary of WUSSIES.

DLT
09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Students that are told they can't wear an American flag shirt should wear a CONFEDERATE flag shirt instead.

Or a flag pin of both the American flag and the Confederate flag. And might as well throw in that Israel flag, while you're at it. Cover all the bases.

But most of these kids are not rebels like I was. I always wanted to go my own way and do my own thing while the rest of the class were herded in another direction. Personally? I would have loved an excused absence "ding".... to get a day off from school back in the day....lol. Especially if all you had to do was wear a patriotic shirt. This will backfire when the kids figure out that's all they have to do to get out of school...hehe.

The really sad part is....how far our nation has fallen from being allowed to be patriotic every day, instead of just on the days "deemed appropriate". And allowing patriotism of other nations at the expense of American-born and American-loving citizens is just part of that "fundamental transformation" taking place.