PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible' to send troops to 'combat' Ebola

SassyLady
09-20-2014, 01:56 PM
I knew it was not a good idea to be sending our troops!

A real-life horror story is playing out in Africa as Ebola spreads, and President Obama’s decision to send 3,000 troops to Liberia to combat the virus could very well put Americans at risk of contracting the deadly illness at home, some health experts say.
According to the World Health Organization, at least 4,985 people have contracted Ebola and at least 2,461 have died. Several doctors have fallen ill with Ebola, and two of them have died. New reports indicate (http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-ebola-doctors-without-borders-20140917-story.html) a Doctors Without Borders staff member has contracted the virus in Liberia and will be evacuated to France for treatment.
“You can see that these doctors, who are highly trained people, got themselves infected,” said Dr. Lee Hieb, former president of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (http://www.aapsonline.org/). “So sending troops into an area, if they’re dealing one-on-one with a patient, they’re not going to be able to protect themselves very well. It’s not easy to [prevent transmission], because you get tired and you get careless and you make some simple mistakes. All it takes is one virus particle.”
Dr. Hieb said quarantine measures should be taken to control the outbreak and prevent Ebola from coming to America.
“You don’t get Ebola from Europe,” she told WND. “You get Ebola from Africa. And it’s a really simple formula: Don’t let people fly to America if they’ve been to areas where there’s an outbreak. When there’s an outbreak, stop air [traffic] flow.”
Hieb added, “If they’re going to use the troops to do population control, which is one of the ways you contain it, basically you just don’t let anybody out. You’d make a ring around where it is, and you’d quarantine the area.”
With quarantines in places where the outbreaks are occurring, even if a person infected with Ebola were to try to board a plane to the U.S., it would be far more difficult for them to make the journey, she explained.
“Could somebody sneak through by going to Pakistan or some place?” she asked. “Yes, potentially. Ebola comes on so rapidly, you would know it. They wouldn’t make it. We should not allow flights from nations that are having Ebola outbreaks.”
Dr. Jane Orient, executive director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (http://www.aapsonline.org/), has warned that the U.S. must “treat Ebola as a wake-up call.” (http://www.wnd.com/2014/08/ebola-false-alarm-or-poor-mans-atomic-bomb/)
“What African troops are doing is shooting people who cross borders or violate quarantine,” Orient told WND, reacting to news of the U.S. troop deployment. “Is that what we plan to support?”
She added, “Africans are already very suspicious of us. How will they react to an army setting up hospitals?”
Orient called the planned U.S. deployment a “dubious mission,” warning that the nightmarish scenario could bring Ebola to America

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/09/doctors-irresponsible-to-send-troops-to-combat-ebola/#qvOSuTutFU8Q57Jr.99

Gunny
09-20-2014, 02:45 PM
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helmet]I knew it was not a good idea to be sending our troops!

It IS irresponsible. This is just another of Obama's "great ideas" for personal glory that's going to backfire.

SassyLady
09-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I believe making a decision like this shows how the elite have so little regard for the masses. I'm sure he believes the virus will only affect the pheasants if it makes it's way back to the states. Perhaps he's looking for a population control measure. :slap:

Gunny
09-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I believe making a decision like this shows how the elite have so little regard for the masses. I'm sure he believes the virus will only affect the pheasants if it makes it's way back to the states. Perhaps he's looking for a population control measure. :slap:

Pheasants? :laugh:

BoogyMan
09-20-2014, 07:29 PM
It IS irresponsible. This is just another of Obama's "great ideas" for personal glory that's going to backfire.

Mr. Obama has no use for our military or their constitutionally defined purpose. He would much rather have them not seen and not heard. Sending our soldiers to try and deal with Ebola is just more evidence of his disdain for the military.

SassyLady
09-20-2014, 10:21 PM

:rofl1:

I knew I should have used the word "commoners" instead!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-21-2014, 08:30 AM
:rofl1:

I knew I should have used the word "commoners" instead!!!

I saw it but did not dare mention it .
I mention the words peons and peasants in my diatribes often but I once slipped up and did the exact same thing.
At that forum they(dem/lib/leftists) blasted me for months for that one typo mistake.
I just laughed at those guys grabbing for straws to defeat me..-Tyr

Jeff
09-21-2014, 08:36 AM

Good eating little jokers :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Good eating little jokers :laugh:

Best tasting game bird in the world my friend.. I'd eat pheasant every week if I could..
Suckers are so big I could probably hunt them using a 22 caliber rifle and still knock down a few each hunt.
I know that because as a 15 year old kid I shot doves on the fly with a 22 caliber rifle.
I thought nothing of it until years later when I found that so many didn't believe it.
Only then did I discover how great shootin' it was.. To me it was just normal....
Of course , dad always said this--
"Son, YOU AIN'T NORMAL."-- :laugh::laugh::laugh:--Tyr

jimnyc
09-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Tragedies around the world should be left up to those countries that are hit. It's not our responsibility to help others. We should be home defending our own borders and that's about it. Ebola couldn't even reach here if we would stop meddling in other countries affairs. Let these people die, whether via tragedy or war, it's none of our business or concern. Doesn't matter if it's a virus, a tsunami or an earthquake - to each their own, it's a dog eat dog world out there!

/sarcasm off

fj1200
09-23-2014, 09:33 AM
/sarcasm off

Are you saying we should send some troops? :confused:

jimnyc
09-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Are you saying we should send some troops? :confused:

I'm not educated on the subject enough to determine that. I don't think combat troops should help, definitely not. If these people are trained to fight things like this and that is one of their responsibilities should the need arise, I have no issue with it. I would expect every single person being sent would have appropriate training, and be in the medical field. I would also expect that they too would have the best care available, both abroad and at home, should someone get sick.

I believe the USA does have a bit of responsibility around the world. We help when we can. We have a long history of doing so when other countries are in need, especially due to tragedies. I think when we help others, it makes our great nation that much greater. And yep, this of course applies to quite a few wars/battles as well. Outside of discussion to protect the homeland, I also feel we have a bit of responsibility, as such a powerful nation, to help the weaker when we can. Of course this is a VERY broad description, but I think you get the point.

Sadly, these 3,000 folks will be the best option for these people. Certainly no other country will send a massive military contingent to help. And private parties and such? Perhaps, but none would amount to what we can offer via the military.

BUT, and I honestly don't know - are these servicemen and women trained for something like this? Is sending them on such a mission unheard of in the military? In other words, are they aware that they can also be used in such types of situations? Is this a "this is what I signed up for, to help people" situation - or a "holy shit, I'm fucked, this isn't what I joined for" situation?

But as a country, I think we do what we can to help others. I hope to God that this never reaches America. This virus is growing REAL fast. They say it could grow to over a million victims by the end of January. - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/09/22/world-health-organization-ebola/16076067/

fj1200
09-23-2014, 09:53 AM
^I don't disagree with any of that. And from what I've heard they are not all combat troops. Fact is our military is often used to deliver aid in many of the situations you allude to. Navy ships after the tsunami a few years ago is but one example. The Army is among many things a logistics machine and is the best at moving mass tonnage of goods.

jimnyc
09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
^I don't disagree with any of that. And from what I've heard they are not all combat troops. Fact is our military is often used to deliver aid in many of the situations you allude to. Navy ships after the tsunami a few years ago is but one example. The Army is among many things a logistics machine and is the best at moving mass tonnage of goods.

I remember somewhere where they even used one of the ships as an offshore hospital of sorts. I just hope they don't send in non-trained troops simply to have extra heads to help, as that would be asinine.

But can you imagine if even 1 soldier comes back with ebola? yikes!

fj1200
09-23-2014, 10:01 AM
^Yikes indeed. But I don't think the Army is comprised of morons so it doesn't worry me unnecessarily.

Thunderknuckles
09-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Counter argument:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119488/us-military-combats-ebola

revelarts
09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm told that it's ok for the CiC to send the military anyplace any time to kill anyone, even citizens, ... without the permission of congress... (Hail El Presidente)
so him sending troops to foreign countries to help others is a decent thing to do. (if it helps and doesn't bring it home)
Wouldn't hurt to get 3000 well equipped troops down to the boarder though.

fj1200
09-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Counter argument:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119488/us-military-combats-ebola

A leftie with an agenda. Sheesh!

:poke:

I'm told that it's ok for the CiC to send the military anyplace any time to kill anyone, even citizens, ... without the permission of congress... (Hail El Presidente)

Now you're catching on. No matter how much you may hate BO he should still be granted carte blanche authority to smoke some "muzzies" just because.

jimnyc
09-23-2014, 02:53 PM
so him sending troops to foreign countries to help others is a decent thing to do. (if it helps and doesn't bring it home)
Wouldn't hurt to get 3000 well equipped troops down to the boarder though.

I'd support any amount of troops and national guard protecting our borders and shooting anyone trying to sneak in.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-24-2014, 05:37 PM
I remember somewhere where they even used one of the ships as an offshore hospital of sorts. I just hope they don't send in non-trained troops simply to have extra heads to help, as that would be asinine.

But can you imagine if even 1 soldier comes back with ebola? yikes!

HOW ABOUT A FEW HUNDRED TROOPS COMING BACK INFECTED?

http://news.yahoo.com/u-hospitals-unprepared-handle-ebola-waste-051112265--sector.html

U.S. hospitals unprepared to handle Ebola waste

Reuters
By Julie Steenhuysen
9 hours ago
CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. hospitals may be unprepared to safely dispose of the infectious waste generated by any Ebola virus disease patient to arrive unannounced in the country, potentially putting the wider community at risk, biosafety experts said.

Waste management companies are refusing to haul away the soiled sheets and virus-spattered protective gear associated with treating the disease, citing federal guidelines that require Ebola-related waste to be handled in special packaging by people with hazardous materials training, infectious disease and biosafety experts told Reuters.

Many U.S. hospitals are unaware of the regulatory snafu, which experts say could threaten their ability to treat any person who develops Ebola in the U.S. after coming from an infected region. It can take as long as 21 days to develop Ebola symptoms after exposure.

The issue created problems for Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, the first institution to care for Ebola patients here. As Emory was treating two U.S. missionaries who were evacuated from West Africa in August, their waste hauler, Stericycle, initially refused to handle it. Stericycle declined comment.

Ebola symptoms can include copious amounts of vomiting and diarrhoea, and nurses and doctors at Emory donned full hazmat suits to protect themselves. Bags of waste quickly began to pile up.

"At its peak, we were up to 40 bags a day of medical waste, which took a huge tax on our waste management system," Emory's Dr. Aneesh Mehta told colleagues at a medical meeting earlier this month.

Emory sent staff to Home Depot to buy as many 32-gallon rubber waste containers with lids that they could get their hands on. Emory kept the waste in a special containment area for six days until its Atlanta neighbor, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, helped broker an agreement with Stericycle.

While U.S. hospitals may be prepared clinically to care for a patient with Ebola, Emory's experience shows that logistically they are far from ready, biosafety experts said.

"Our waste management obstacles and the logistics we had to put in place were amazing," Patricia Olinger, director of environmental health and safety at Emory, said in an interview.

Seems they already admitting that if it comes here in a major way we'd have big problems. So lets send a few thousand more troops , the more that get infected the better, right?-Tyr

grannyhawkins
09-24-2014, 08:03 PM
HOW ABOUT A FEW HUNDRED TROOPS COMING BACK INFECTED?

Seems they already admitting that if it comes here in a major way we'd have big problems. So lets send a few thousand more troops , the more that get infected the better, right?-Tyr

Nobel winner supported biological warfare as form of population control
Third World de-population has been U.S. strategic policy since '74
http://web.archive.org/web/20080409122819/www.theinterim.com/2002/april/02nobelwinner.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Nobel winner supported biological warfare as form of population control
Third World de-population has been U.S. strategic policy since '74
http://web.archive.org/web/20080409122819/www.theinterim.com/2002/april/02nobelwinner.html

Careful my friend. You may scare folks.....
Some people think any truth that doesn't fit in with their blinded view of the world and/or comfortable lifestyle is to not only be ignored but also to be attacked and ridiculed when its shone the light of day..--Tyr

grannyhawkins
09-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Careful my friend. You may scare folks.....
Some people think any truth that doesn't fit in with their blinded view of the world and/or comfortable lifestyle is to not only be ignored but also to be attacked and ridiculed when its shone the light of day..--Tyr

Maybe they oughta be skeerd of the folks that set policy!!! What's that ole sayin??? Don't shoot the messenger???

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Maybe they oughta be skeerd of the folks that set policy!!! What's that ole sayin??? Don't shoot the messenger???

NO, they bought the spill about the worm and now don't want to spit the worm out. Caught like a fish most are.
To stupid and dishonorable to ever admit that their folly has caused this nation and we citizens major, major harm ...
I pray for justice to catch their dumbasses someday..
The arrogant enlightened fools make me sick.. and so does the gullible turds that lick their asses.
I was smarter than that by ten years old but these asshats walk about with their useless college degrees thinking so smugly that they know better when truth is they are the true ffing dumbasses. -Tyr

Born2DecadesLate
09-25-2014, 07:56 PM

God I hope not, pheasant are good eats.