PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Comeback using Conservative Policies

tailfins
09-21-2014, 10:18 AM
First, even horrendous fiscal problems can be solved. "The main lesson is it can be done," said David Frum, the Canadian writer who lives in Washington and hosts the web site FrumForum.com. The Canadian formula is no secret: spending cuts, less borrowing, smaller government, decentralized political power, entitlement reform. America's problems cannot be minimized, as Paul Martin explained in an interview, but "the capacity of the U.S. is so great, you'll be able to handle this." Jim Dinning, treasurer of Alberta during the Canadian turnaround, thinks so too — but only if America's leaders are "ready to withstand attacks and abuse and not blink."

http://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/lessons-from-canada

Wonky conservative skeptics of comprehensive immigration reform, such as David Frum and Reihan Salam, like to point to Canada’s “points system,” which favors high-skilled immigrants and discourages family-based chain migration, as a model to imitate. All sorts of Republican politicians talk about Canada as a reliable partner for fossil-fuel-based energy, eager to extract oil from its tar sands and ship it to us through the Keystone pipeline if only we would let them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/upshot/the-new-conservative-love-affair-with-canada.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0
(http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/upshot/the-new-conservative-love-affair-with-canada.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0)

I will add a personal note here: Fellow consultants tell me if you take a project in Canada for 5 months and 29 days, there are incredible exemptions from Canada's income tax and getting a work visa is much easier.

gabosaurus
09-21-2014, 05:17 PM
I will add a personal note here: Fellow consultants tell me if you take a project in Canada for 5 months and 29 days, there are incredible exemptions from Canada's income tax and getting a work visa is much easier.

So you are moving to Canada?

Canada is too cold. End of story.

tailfins
09-21-2014, 07:59 PM
So you are moving to Canada?

Canada is too cold. End of story.

Why are people so temperature sensitive? I like Texas and I like Canada, except for Toronto and Vancouver, BC. I can enjoy a Texas Summer when its 105F or New Year's in Winnipeg when its -30F. What I despise is congestion. I'm amazed how you can typically move around the Dallas-Fort Worth area at 65-70 MPH all but out two hours out of the day. With a population of 7 million plus, how they manage to do that is amazing. In Canada, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal all move around rather nicely plus a nice place to stay is not obscenely expensive in any of those places. Driving the Trans-Canada Highway in its entirety is a joy, again, except for Toronto. Six years down the road, I would consider a project in Canada.

gabosaurus
09-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Tailfins, I am guessing you would be very welcome in Medicine Hat.

tailfins
09-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Tailfins, I am guessing you would be very welcome in Medicine Hat.

I drove through it like 30 years ago. My car broke down near the Saskatchewan border and it took 6 days for my Dad to wire money across the border. Some nice strangers let me stay with them so I wouldn't spend what little money I had left. Medicine Hat is too small to have my kind of work. The systems I work on generally involve 1,000 or more users.

If you're referring to the bikers in Medicine Hat, they're no different than the bikers in Daytona Beach. Actually Prince Edward Island is more of a biker hangout than Medicine Hat. My experience is that bikers avoid drawing attention to themselves outside of their motorcycle club property.