PDA

View Full Version : Damn landscaper

jimnyc
09-23-2014, 04:32 PM
I just watched the one guy "mow" my back lawn entirely with the weed whacker! WTF? I like the lines from the mower, makes it look cool. The guy actually did a damn good job, but I feel cheated.

hjmick
09-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Lol

jimnyc
09-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Lol

Really, how hard is it to go back to the truck and get the mower. They have to use the push mower in the backyard, as the big Scags won't fit through the gate. Bastards probably do the edging with the whacker too.

hjmick
09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
HEY! I edge with the whacker!

But I'd rather hire a guy...

gabosaurus
09-23-2014, 05:03 PM
I just watched the one guy "mow" my back lawn entirely with the weed whacker! WTF? I like the lines from the mower, makes it look cool. The guy actually did a damn good job, but I feel cheated.
I bet you hired a lazy Anglo guy.
You would get a better job done cheaper if you hired a Latino. Preferably an immigrant. :cool:

jimnyc
09-23-2014, 05:07 PM
I bet you hired a lazy Anglo guy.
You would get a better job done cheaper if you hired a Latino. Preferably an immigrant. :cool:

Definitely a hispanic looking gent, they all are. The company is owned by the neighbor down the road, but of course none of his workers speak a lick of English. They do good work. But I'll be looking for mower lines from now on. Its the principle, these bastards charge a fortune, and always find crap to add on the bill.

And before you say it - NO - she will not let me get a good mower and do it myself. She's afraid I'll get angry and frustrated and eventually have the grass replaced with stone. :)

gabosaurus
09-23-2014, 10:21 PM
We have a fairly large yard. The people we use mow our front and back yard, edge, trim our shrubs and sweep/rake everything up for $40. I consider it a huge bargain.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Really, how hard is it to go back to the truck and get the mower. They have to use the push mower in the backyard, as the big Scags won't fit through the gate. Bastards probably do the edging with the whacker too.

You're lucky. Our guys use the big mowers in back, and just decimate the scraggly lawn we manage to grow there.

Abbey Marie
09-23-2014, 10:34 PM
We have a fairly large yard. The people we use mow our front and back yard, edge, trim our shrubs and sweep/rake everything up for $40. I consider it a huge bargain.

Other than the trimming of shrubs, we get all the same for $22.

gabosaurus
09-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Other than the trimming of shrubs, we get all the same for $22.

Everything is more expensive in Southern California. :dunno:

Abbey Marie
09-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Everything is more expensive in Southern California. :dunno:

I wonder why, since you must have a ton more Mexican laborers doing lawn work?

gabosaurus
09-23-2014, 11:00 PM
I wonder why, since you must have a ton more Mexican laborers doing lawn work?

Perhaps in other parts of town. Not in Huntington Beach. They probably charge us more because they think we're rich Republicans. :cool:

Abbey Marie
09-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Perhaps in other parts of town. Not in Huntington Beach. They probably charge us more because they think we're rich Republicans. :cool:

Lol, you are probably right.

SassyLady
09-24-2014, 01:33 AM

WTH ... you don't mow your own yard? What a slacker. I mowed three yards today late in the day and the last in the dark with my riding lawnmower (has a headlight). Jim, you are really missing all the fun. You get to make the lines yourself ... up and back ... two different lines ... circles around the tree.

What is really cool at my place is hearing all the black walnuts being eaten up by the mower. Sounds like gun shots!

Get yourself a mower and man up!

jimnyc
09-24-2014, 05:50 AM
WTH ... you don't mow your own yard? What a slacker. I mowed three yards today late in the day and the last in the dark with my riding lawnmower (has a headlight). Jim, you are really missing all the fun. You get to make the lines yourself ... up and back ... two different lines ... circles around the tree.

What is really cool at my place is hearing all the black walnuts being eaten up by the mower. Sounds like gun shots!

I tried! My first choice was a smaller Scag, but she wouldn't budge. Then I lowered my choices, to a Honda that was self propelled and mulched and all that good crap. She nixed that one too. Methinks she knows me too well. If the thing breaks, I would take it apart and it would never run again. Or if any other problems, I have grass uprooted and have the place like my Grandfather's house growing up, which was nothing but small stones. MUCH easier to maintain those! :)

Jeff
09-24-2014, 06:23 AM
I tried! My first choice was a smaller Scag, but she wouldn't budge. Then I lowered my choices, to a Honda that was self propelled and mulched and all that good crap. She nixed that one too. Methinks she knows me too well. If the thing breaks, I would take it apart and it would never run again. Or if any other problems, I have grass uprooted and have the place like my Grandfather's house growing up, which was nothing but small stones. MUCH easier to maintain those! :)

James actually those stones where a lot more work, between us throwing them in the river ( try to skip them LOL ) and the grass growing through them it was a never ending job. Get a mower, looking back at how good it looks when you are done is very satisfying.

jimnyc
09-24-2014, 06:58 AM
James actually those stones where a lot more work, between us throwing them in the river ( try to skip them LOL ) and the grass growing through them it was a never ending job. Get a mower, looking back at how good it looks when you are done is very satisfying.

She won't let me ya bastard, and I have no spine!! :laugh:

Jeff
09-24-2014, 08:22 AM
She won't let me ya bastard, and I have no spine!! :laugh:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well come on down I have a couple of acres that are in desperate need of a mowing :laugh:

NightTrain
09-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, you need to get a mower.

For $400 you can get a pretty nice Honda, I just bought one a couple months ago. Has the bag, mulching, self propelled, twin blades, all that jazz. It didn't have a beer holder, however.

Buy one and beg forgiveness later. Besides, you'll save money in the long run.

Cowboy up, slacker!

Nukeman
09-24-2014, 09:21 AM
I can't believe you guys "PAY" someone to do your lawn. We cut 3 acres with a 40 inch Gravely (great little zero turn by the way). If you like the lines Jimmy you would need a striping kit for any mower you buy, they don't automatically make those:slap:.

I enjoy cutting the grass (except our back acre which is a little bumpy and make my back hurt). Its quite time and you get to take pride in how it looks.. Now I do pay someone to spray the lawn because I can't fertilize for what they charge us.. Makes for more cutting though :laugh:

gabosaurus
09-24-2014, 09:46 AM
I enjoy cutting the grass (except our back acre which is a little bumpy and make my back hurt). Its quite time and you get to take pride in how it looks.. Now I do pay someone to spray the lawn because I can't fertilize for what they charge us.. Makes for more cutting though :laugh:

You cut your own grass? Isn't that why you have children? :cool:
My paternal grandfather used that line all the time. He had two male children so he would never have to mow the lawn.

Abbey Marie
09-24-2014, 11:17 AM
My husband cut our lawn until the our Very Blue State decided that "yard waste" (grass clippings, leaves, etc. ) is practically tantamount to nuclear waste in how it is discarded. It is much easier to let the professionals deal with it all now.

DLT
09-24-2014, 11:21 AM

That's whacked! Is he trying to say that your whole yard is nothing but weeds? Sounds racist to me. [rolling eyes]

DLT
09-24-2014, 11:25 AM

I mow my own lawn too. With an electric mower. And instead of black walnuts (yum...black walnut jam)....it's those stupid small pecans that the squirrels break and drop. Only thing is....you gotta watch the cord. When the day comes that I run it over, I'll know it's time to hire somebody...lol.

SassyLady
09-24-2014, 11:00 PM
My husband cut our lawn until the our Very Blue State decided that "yard waste" (grass clippings, leaves, etc. ) is practically tantamount to nuclear waste in how it is discarded. It is much easier to let the professionals deal with it all now.

Do you live in CA??? :laugh:

SassyLady
09-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Jim, I can't believe you are using your wife as a reason to sit and watch the grass grow and for watching your money walk itself into someone else's pocket all the time.

I have some guys here helping me get the place ready for the open house and one of them said they had never been on a riding lawn mower. Said, "yeah, it's a lot of fun" and roared off to mow.

NT ... both of mine have cup holders and a slot for my cell phone.

Nuke ... I hate mowing the back acre because it's bumpy and sloped .... back kills me when I'm finished and riding that slope is like walking a tight rope ... might turn over any time.

The only thing I hate about mowing is putting gas in the mower ... yuck!!! Smelly!!

DebateDrone
09-25-2014, 02:09 AM
Definitely a hispanic looking gent, they all are. The company is owned by the neighbor down the road, but of course none of his workers speak a lick of English. They do good work. But I'll be looking for mower lines from now on. Its the principle, these bastards charge a fortune, and always find crap to add on the bill.

And before you say it - NO - she will not let me get a good mower and do it myself. She's afraid I'll get angry and frustrated and eventually have the grass replaced with stone. :)

Remember it is your neighbor down the road setting the price. Hire a guy on his own and make sure he uses a mower and explain how you like your lawn cut.

Never assume anything on a home improvement project.

jimnyc
09-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Yeah, you need to get a mower.

For $400 you can get a pretty nice Honda, I just bought one a couple months ago. Has the bag, mulching, self propelled, twin blades, all that jazz. It didn't have a beer holder, however.

Buy one and beg forgiveness later. Besides, you'll save money in the long run.

Cowboy up, slacker!

Here is the one I am thinking of getting - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Self-Propelled-Gas-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643

I can't believe you guys "PAY" someone to do your lawn. We cut 3 acres with a 40 inch Gravely (great little zero turn by the way). If you like the lines Jimmy you would need a striping kit for any mower you buy, they don't automatically make those:slap:.

I meant just the wheels making the lines! LOL I didn't even know they made these kits until you said that and looked it up!

You cut your own grass? Isn't that why you have children? :cool:
My paternal grandfather used that line all the time. He had two male children so he would never have to mow the lawn.

I can't get my kid to take the garbage out without a debate!

I have 2 old air conditioners here that I can't get rid of, literally impossible unless you have someone come out and remove the freon crap. Same with the clippings you say, certain bags and only a certain day of week. So landscapers put clippings on side of house and I have to move to street in 2 days!!

That's whacked! Is he trying to say that your whole yard is nothing but weeds? Sounds racist to me. [rolling eyes]

Might be! This is the backyard, I should have let my little dogs out to terrorize them!! They leave little presents for the landscapers. If I were him, I would RATHER use a mower that collects everything, than a whacker that might shoot you in the face. Remember, wear eye protection! :)

Jim, I can't believe you are using your wife as a reason to sit and watch the grass grow and for watching your money walk itself into someone else's pocket all the time.

I have some guys here helping me get the place ready for the open house and one of them said they had never been on a riding lawn mower. Said, "yeah, it's a lot of fun" and roared off to mow.

NT ... both of mine have cup holders and a slot for my cell phone.

Nuke ... I hate mowing the back acre because it's bumpy and sloped .... back kills me when I'm finished and riding that slope is like walking a tight rope ... might turn over any time.

The only thing I hate about mowing is putting gas in the mower ... yuck!!! Smelly!!

I'm seriously debating it... Problem is - I start mowing - then I need to also buy a weed whacker, and an edger, and an air machine, and then what else?

Remember it is your neighbor down the road setting the price. Hire a guy on his own and make sure he uses a mower and explain how you like your lawn cut.

Never assume anything on a home improvement project.

I know, I'm an idiot. I know the owner and even saw him since, and I didn't want to be a complainer so I didn't say anything.

We pay like $40 per week for a regular cut, weed whack and air. Then they sometimes collect branches, leaves and other crap. Chemicals and other crap and seeds. Bastards sometimes do this crap and don't even ask us, just send a bill.

NightTrain
09-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Here is the one I am thinking of getting - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Self-Propelled-Gas-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643

Yep, that's the one I have. So far I'm really happy with it.

When we first moved in here, the back yard hadn't been maintained and there was 3' grass all the way up to the raspberry bushes. I set the elevation to maximum and started in on it, and worked the hell out of that Honda. It performed like a champ, and afterwards I put the bag back on and did a regular mowing and now you can't tell that it was neglected.

I even cut pathways through the raspberry bushes for Sharon so she could go into it without getting torn up by the thorns.

Now the kids do the mowing... but that season is done for the year. I need to winterize it, since we're dipping down into freezing temps at night and the grass is no longer growing.

You really can't go wrong with a Honda. I have yet to run across one that wasn't extremely well made and engineered.

jimnyc
09-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Yep, that's the one I have. So far I'm really happy with it.

When we first moved in here, the back yard hadn't been maintained and there was 3' grass all the way up to the raspberry bushes. I set the elevation to maximum and started in on it, and worked the hell out of that Honda. It performed like a champ, and afterwards I put the bag back on and did a regular mowing and now you can't tell that it was neglected.

I even cut pathways through the raspberry bushes for Sharon so she could go into it without getting torn up by the thorns.

Now the kids do the mowing... but that season is done for the year. I need to winterize it, since we're dipping down into freezing temps at night and the grass is no longer growing.

You really can't go wrong with a Honda. I have yet to run across one that wasn't extremely well made and engineered.

My brother said I can put it in mulch mode and never have to even bag it up if I don't want to. True?

Gaffer
09-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Do you live in CA??? :laugh:

She lives on the other left coast.:laugh2:

Jeff
09-25-2014, 08:47 AM
My brother said I can put it in mulch mode and never have to even bag it up if I don't want to. True?

Yes that is true, it chops the grass in such small pieces it is actually fertilizer. When we where kids that nit wit next door Frankie, had a beautiful lawn and that is exactly what he did, that was the first time I heard of a mulching blade.

jimnyc
09-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Yes that is true, it chops the grass in such small pieces it is actually fertilizer. When we where kids that nit wit next door Frankie, had a beautiful lawn and that is exactly what he did, that was the first time I heard of a mulching blade.

Of course I ask because I'm a lazy bastard. I hate having to stop every few rows to empty the damn bag. Then like others said, gotta avoid the township ordinances about putting the grass out by the road.

NightTrain
09-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Right. It just chews the clippings and leaves them on the lawn, which fertilizes the lawn, of course, but it doesn't look as clean as when you use Bag Mode. The suction into the bag is pretty impressive, it almost works like a big vacuum.

Jeff
09-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Right. It just chews the clippings and leaves them on the lawn, which fertilizes the lawn, of course, but it doesn't look as clean as when you use Bag Mode. The suction into the bag is pretty impressive, it almost works like a big vacuum.

NT I went out and bought a sweeper it worked as good as the vacuum on a good push mower ( made the lawn look beautiful ) but like the 3rd time I used it I got to close to the Rottweiler and he ripped it to shreds, $250 buck gone in one bite :laugh:

SassyLady
09-25-2014, 11:07 PM
I thought you guys were talking about serious lawnmowers.

Jim and NT .... this is what my mower looks like:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6367&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6369&stc=1

Note the cup holder and cell phone cubby!

P.S. remember .. I have two of these. You men and your Hondas!

NightTrain
09-25-2014, 11:19 PM
I thought you guys were talking about serious lawnmowers.

Jim and NT .... this is what my mower looks like:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6367&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6369&stc=1

Note the cup holder and cell phone cubby!

P.S. remember .. I have two of these. You men and your Hondas!

Pshaw! How am I to keep myself in shape riding that????

Actually, I want one of those... but only after the teenagers leave home and I have to do it! :laugh:

NightTrain
09-25-2014, 11:20 PM
NT I went out and bought a sweeper it worked as good as the vacuum on a good push mower ( made the lawn look beautiful ) but like the 3rd time I used it I got to close to the Rottweiler and he ripped it to shreds, $250 buck gone in one bite :laugh:

I would have been pissed... is the mongrel still above ground?

Jeff
09-29-2014, 05:54 AM
I would have been pissed... is the mongrel still above ground?

No, Actually that was years ago, he was a great Dog though, 165 lbs of muscle, heck he just thought I had bought him a new chew tpy that I pulled behind the mower :laugh: