PDA

View Full Version : Seattle has totally gone BIG BROTHER

SassyLady
09-24-2014, 11:23 PM
The other day I had to chase down our garbage man for just driving by without dumping my can. He said that he wouldn't dump it until we removed the wood. Said we have to take to the dump ourselves .... was the remains of a wooden planter box made of redwood. So, instead of paying the garbage company to pick up my garbage, I now have to pay someone to haul stuff to dump and pay the dump fees. I remember when I was a kid we burned everything in a metal garbage can out back and gave our food scraps to the animals.

I would say 100% of my food scraps go down the garbage disposal and through the septic system.

The City of Seattle just passed a new trash ordinance that would fine residents and businesses for throwing away too much food.

The new rules would allow garbage collectors to inspect trash cans and ticket offending parties if food and compostable material makes up 10 percent or more of the trash.
The fines will begin at $1 for residents and $50 for businesses and apartment buildings, according to the Seattle Times. (http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024604656_citycompost1xml.html)
Seattle Public Utilities requested the new rules after falling short of its recycling goals of 60 percent of trash by 2015, according to the Times (http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024604656_citycompost1xml.html). The recycling rate in 2013 was 56 percent.
The Seattle city council vote on the new rules was 9-0.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/09/24/Seattle-Passes-Laws-to-Keep-Residents-From-Wasting-Food

Anyone want to move to Seattle?

Kathianne
09-24-2014, 11:46 PM
When I left the suburb in IL, we paid $3.85 for a 30 gal bin of garbage. There could be no landwaste, (meaning leaves, plants, ect.) in there or we'd be slapped with $300 fine. Land waste stickers are over $4. Considering fall leaves, brush, grass clippings; a lot of money to be made there.

Now what they did have, which is non-existent here in AZ is massive recycling bin, which one could add to with any type of holder like laundry baskets, etc. Anything recyclable could be put in there and taken away for no cost. Result was I had 'garbage' about every 4 weeks, but recyclables by the boat load weekly. No need to separate by glass, types of plastic, etc.

SassyLady
09-25-2014, 09:25 PM
I have three cans. One for garbage, one for recycling and one for yard waste. I pay $45/month for pick up of all three cans once a week. It's about $3.50/can per week. Trust me, with 2 acres there is always something to put in all three cans. :laugh:

Stiletto
09-25-2014, 09:36 PM
The other day I had to chase down our garbage man for just driving by without dumping my can. He said that he wouldn't dump it until we removed the wood. Said we have to take to the dump ourselves .... was the remains of a wooden planter box made of redwood. So, instead of paying the garbage company to pick up my garbage, I now have to pay someone to haul stuff to dump and pay the dump fees. I remember when I was a kid we burned everything in a metal garbage can out back and gave our food scraps to the animals.

I would say 100% of my food scraps go down the garbage disposal and through the septic system.

Anyone want to move to Seattle?

That is fucking ridiculous, but then again, this is Seattle we're talking about. It's a beautiful part of the country, but after living there back in the early 2000s, I was damn near dancing on air for a week when my spouse received the news that he was being transferred to another city and we'd be leaving the Land of the Leftist Lunatics for more Conservative pastures.