PDA

View Full Version : Any Wonder? College Enrollments Down For Second Year

Kathianne
09-25-2014, 04:52 PM
I've thoughts, wondering to hear others first:

College Enrollment Declines for Second Year in a Row (https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2014/cb14-177.html#)

College Enrollment Declines for Second Year in a Row, Census Bureau Reports
Release Number: CB14-177
TwitterFacebook
cb14-177_graphic_school_enrollment
Download Higher Education [PDF - <1.0 MB]
College enrollment declined by close to half a million (463,000) between 2012 and 2013, marking the second year in a row that a drop of this magnitude has occurred. The cumulative two-year drop of 930,000 was larger than any college enrollment drop before the recent recession, according to U.S. Census Bureau statistics from the Current Population Survey released today. The Census Bureau began collecting data on college enrollment in this survey in 1966.

As the nation’s students and teachers return to the classroom, the Census Bureau has published School Enrollment in the United States: 2013, detailing national-level statistics on the characteristics of students, from nursery school to graduate school. The data were collected in the October School Enrollment Supplement to the 2013 Current Population Survey.

“The drop-off in total college enrollment the last two years follows a period of expansion: between 2006 and 2011, college enrollment grew by 3.2 million,” said Kurt Bauman, chief of the Census Bureau’s Education and Social Stratification Branch. “This level of growth exceeded the total enrollment increase of the previous 10 years combined (2.0 million from 1996 to 2006).”

According to the new statistics, the drop in enrollment was equally divided between older and younger students. Enrollment of students 21 and younger fell by 261,000; the enrollment of students older than 25 fell by 247,000, not statistically different from the change in enrollment of students 21 and younger. Overall, 40 percent of those 18 to 24 were enrolled in college in fall 2013, after having reached 42 percent in 2011...

aboutime
09-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Kathianne. Can't disagree with your post at all.

Thought this video might help explain a bit more as well.

http://youtu.be/e7D3_eGaO5k

fj1200
09-25-2014, 10:18 PM

IIRC usually during a recession or slow down college enrollment rises while they ride out the downturn. There's no light at the end of the tunnel that more education can fix it would seem.

SassyLady
09-26-2014, 12:15 AM
Maybe .....

Young adults that have college educations are living at home because cannot get jobs. So, what's the point of spending thousands of dollars to just get in line for a minimum wage job?

red state
09-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Maybe .....

Young adults that have college educations are living at home because cannot get jobs. So, what's the point of spending thousands of dollars to just get in line for a minimum wage job?

SPOT ON, Sassy!!!

I both agree and disagree with Dr. Kaku. On one hand, we have Americans who are so lazy and reliant upon the intellect of those before them that they only need to 'use' that intellect or technology BUT there are still those who consistently amaze the entire world with what American ingenuity can accomplish. The Chinese, for example, copy and mimic what WE create....much of the time, POORLY, I might add.

As Sassy hit on, many of our kids don't see any future with the poor leaders we have and the racially slanted system and biased judgement from teachers/professors. I know of so many in the medical field who would never have made it through our system and became doctors had it not been for their having a 'back door' that our kids find locked. I'm not saying this is for all the foreign doctors but it is a problem and the discrimination process that goes to even our own had badly tainted the very foundation of our education by lowering standards for some and keeping or raising standards for others.

I could go on and on but I fear that only a few here with sense would actually read my posts.....and I may get rude if I don't get some sleep. HA! So, I'll bid everyone a great night and a fantastic Friday.

revelarts
09-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Cost to much, Many don't see the benefits and online courses and trade schools offer a cheaper alternatives.

BoogyMan
09-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Cost to much, Many don't see the benefits and online courses and trade schools offer a cheaper alternatives.

Online courses and trade schools are not specifically or necessarily equivalent. In many cases online courses are equivalent to attendance at a brick and mortar facility. More to the point however is that online courses are not always cheaper. The University of Phoenix is one of the largest of the online educators out there and the cost is significantly higher for the convenience of a wholly distant education.

revelarts
09-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Online courses and trade schools are not specifically or necessarily equivalent. In many cases online courses are equivalent to attendance at a brick and mortar facility. More to the point however is that online courses are not always cheaper. The University of Phoenix is one of the largest of the online educators out there and the cost is significantly higher for the convenience of a wholly distant education.
I agree with a lot of that.
But I know of several online training courses for specfic industries that are FAR cheaper than brick and mortar, pennies on the dollar.

as far as equivalence goes, well there are some fields where you cannot substitute an in class hands on experience. But others where your just sitting listening to lectures anyway, no real need for your body. And there are some fields where there is no "college" it's just trade school or OJT.

In some fields probably the the biggest thing you miss by not going to college is the networking with other students, teachers and alum which can get you entree into real jobs.... if there are any.

SassyLady
09-28-2014, 11:22 PM

College Enrollment Declines for Second Year in a Row (https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2014/cb14-177.html#)

Kath ... what are your thoughts as a teacher?

Bilgerat
09-29-2014, 12:47 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6402&stc=1

PROFOUNDLY DISCONNECTED®?

[*=center]* A trillion dollars in student loans.
[*=center]* Record high unemployment.
[*=center]* Three million good jobs that no one seems to want.

The goal of Profoundly Disconnected® is to challenge the absurd belief that a four-year degree is the only path to success. The Skills Gap is here, and if we don’t close it, it’ll swallow us all. Which is a long way of saying, we could use your help…

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

gabosaurus
09-29-2014, 01:13 PM
College enrollments are down because a lot of kids can't afford it.
Trade school enrollment is steadily increasing.

aboutime
09-29-2014, 02:49 PM

But the Obama Secretary of Education, and the Democrats in the U.S. Senate, with Obama's blessings WANT TO MAKE COLLEGE free for everyone.

Just like they are presently making COLLEGE tuition FREE for ILLEGALS.

Nukeman
09-29-2014, 02:53 PM
AS it should. Not everyone NEEDS to go to college. The employers are putting WAY too much emphasis on a piece of paper... You do NOT need a college degree for most jobs out there and I hope this is a trend that continues, we need GOOD people going to college not every moron with a government handout!!

tailfins
09-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Even worse is the decline in MALE college enrollment numbers recently.

Women’s college enrollment gains leave men behind

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/03/06/womens-college-enrollment-gains-leave-men-behind/