PDA

View Full Version : Contrarian Mood....

DLT
09-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Does anybody else here ever get in one of those? I do on rare occasions, and I must confess...it has gotten me into a bit of trouble if and when, in the past. Well....maybe not "trouble", but it has at least caused folks to look askance at me and my opinions.

contrarian

noun
1. a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially in stock exchange dealing.
adjective

1. opposing or rejecting popular opinion; going against current practice:
"the comment came more from a contrarian disposition than moral conviction"

What IS it that prompts this type of mood or behavior? I've asked myself that question many times. Is it that little spark of rebellious nature that also demanded that I not follow along in class, but do my own thing, instead....back in school? Is it that extreme independent nature I have nurtured throughout my life?

Or...does it depend upon what person I am being "contrarian" with? Like....when you're in a relationship gone (or going) bad....does the onset of that contrarian nature depend upon the loss of certain respect for the person you're being contrarian with? I don't think so.

This is a question that probably only a psychologist could answer....but I thought I'd ask it here anyway. Who knows.....perhaps there is a shrink or two lurking about the internet forums. We already know there are plenty of their "customers" hanging around...lol!

So....has anyone else here ever argued the opposite stance just for the hell (pardun pun) of it? You know...

played Devil's Advocate?

Born2DecadesLate
09-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Does anybody else here ever get in one of those? I do on rare occasions, and I must confess...it has gotten me into a bit of trouble if and when, in the past. Well....maybe not "trouble", but it has at least caused folks to look askance at me and my opinions.

What IS it that prompts this type of mood or behavior? I've asked myself that question many times. Is it that little spark of rebellious nature that also demanded that I not follow along in class, but do my own thing, instead....back in school? Is it that extreme independent nature I have nurtured throughout my life?

Or...does it depend upon what person I am being "contrarian" with? Like....when you're in a relationship gone (or going) bad....does the onset of that contrarian nature depend upon the loss of certain respect for the person you're being contrarian with? I don't think so.

This is a question that probably only a psychologist could answer....but I thought I'd ask it here anyway. Who knows.....perhaps there is a shrink or two lurking about the internet forums. We already know there are plenty of their "customers" hanging around...lol!

So....has anyone else here ever argued the opposite stance just for the hell (pardun pun) of it? You know...

played Devil's Advocate?

Yes, kind of
Once spent 6 months pretending to be a terrorist who was planning an act of terror at an undisclosed military installation. Was quite strange to be planning such an operation against a "US city" while avoiding the blue team who was searching for us.

aboutime
09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Yes. And if anyone really tries it. You quickly learn it is the easiest way to catch Liars...in their lies.

You intentionally present a lie you know...won't be believed. And you wait to see who steps forward to OUTDO you with their new lies.

Works every time because..people love to talk about themselves. And when you ask them something about themselves, or compliment them. They instantly know...you will probably believe everything they say. (But never realize you are just exposing them)

DLT
09-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Yes, kind of
Once spent 6 months pretending to be a terrorist who was planning an act of terror at an undisclosed military installation. Was quite strange to be planning such an operation against a "US city" while avoiding the blue team who was searching for us.

Must be nice to be able to be a contrarian and get paid for it (war games and simulations training)..lol. But I'm speaking more about verbal contrarianism, vs. physical training or operations.

DLT
09-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes. And if anyone really tries it. You quickly learn it is the easiest way to catch Liars...in their lies.

You intentionally present a lie you know...won't be believed. And you wait to see who steps forward to OUTDO you with their new lies.

You mean....like lefties always do....heh.

Works every time because..people love to talk about themselves. And when you ask them something about themselves, or compliment them. They instantly know...you will probably believe everything they say. (But never realize you are just exposing them)

I find it very difficult for me to do the contrarian thing though. Even while arguing the opposite of what I actually believe, I cringe inside and feel disgust at the idea of arguing something I don't really feel. It's completely outside of my nature to do so. My question is...what prompts some of us to EVER do this, when it makes you feel soiled? I am more known (usually) for stating the hard truths, no matter who or how it hurts. (saggittarian trait) And I've gotten in a lot more trouble by stating that hard truth and calling it as I see it (like it is...lol) in the past.....and yet never felt bad about what I had said then.

So what is it that prompts that rare (thank God) moment? Trying to impress a certain someone? Nah. Peer pressure? As if. What then???

Born2DecadesLate
09-28-2014, 03:44 PM

I find it very difficult for me to do the contrarian thing though. Even while arguing the opposite of what I actually believe, I cringe inside and feel disgust at the idea of arguing something I don't really feel. It's completely outside of my nature to do so. My question is...what prompts some of us to EVER do this, when it makes you feel soiled? I am more known (usually) for stating the hard truths, no matter who or how it hurts. (saggittarian trait) And I've gotten in a lot more trouble by stating that hard truth and calling it as I see it (like it is...lol) in the past.....and yet never felt bad about what I had said then.

So what is it that prompts that rare (thank God) moment? Trying to impress a certain someone? Nah. Peer pressure? As if. What then???

Sometimes, your "hard truth" turns out to be the lie. One thing I've quickly discovered is that you can find proof of ANYTHING on the internet. Whether that anything is true or not is another matter entirely. I'm going to use the other unnamed board again, because I honestly haven't noticed this here (hence the reason I'm posting here and not there) where people just post any garbage they find on the internet and start posting it as truth and whether it's true or not everyone on "their side" suddenly starts spouting it as gospel. I've noticed people doing that (both left and right) when the fact of the matter is debunking the bullshit would serve their cause better than continuing the lie.

Long story short, yes I can see myself playing devil's advocate if I stick around here simply because I like to poke holes in lies and untruths, even if they are told by people I agree with.

Old ridge Runner
09-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Every time I try to explain something to a Progressive. they just can't seem to grasp what I am saying.

aboutime
09-28-2014, 07:14 PM

For me. It is always MAKING SURE, or MAKING CERTAIN that whatever I say, or offer as my opinion IS ALWAYS based on Honest, Truthful facts...rather than fabrications, hypotheticals, or Lies repeated by others that have been proven to be false through my own investigations in seeking NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.
I am also aware there will always be some who will insist I am Lying, or Making stuff up. But, the difference is.
I have no reason to try and remember what is KNOWN to be true. Whereas...those who depend on, and constantly repeat Lies, must always check, or find other lies to cover the previous lies.
As simple as that. And, no matter who disagree's with me. As long as I know I am telling the truth. They CAN NEVER CHANGE IT.

revelarts
09-28-2014, 07:49 PM
believe it or not I've been accused of being a contrarian ... on occasion.

I think i often tend to want to ask a 2nd and 3rd why about stuff many people would rather take for granted. And that sometimes leads you outside of popularville for answers.

But as far as just having an urge to be ornery and go against the grain just because.
I don't get that. that's something that is probably psycological.

But I think a lot of people who are CALLED contrarian, are frankly just sincerely looking for answers ,whether they are in the box or not.

gabosaurus
09-28-2014, 08:46 PM
On this board, a contrary person is declared a troll.

SassyLady
09-29-2014, 12:04 AM

played Devil's Advocate?

I am not the type that would join a cult, or be influenced by peers and I like being contrarian. My granddaughter and I like to get into debates where we have to take opposing stances, usually the one that we don't agree with. Sometimes we talk ourselves into changing our stance on a subject.

fj1200
09-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Does anybody else here ever get in one of those?

Always. Especially when mass agreement is afoot.

Abbey Marie
09-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Always. Especially when mass agreement is afoot.

For those who are new here, FJ is our official Board Contrarian.

Though he will surely disagree ;)

jimnyc
09-29-2014, 09:51 AM
On this board, a contrary person is declared a troll.

Ummmm, no. One this board YOU are declared a troll. I don't really see that happening to others, sorry. And even YOU stated you were a troll and even YOU stated you were going to change that, and then YOU did that for like 3 days, tops, and are reverting back to your usual self.

I know, I know, Bush did it.

Thunderknuckles
09-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I will try to be contrarian or play devil's advocate on this board from time to time, especially when I see it turning into an echo chamber. Although, I try not to be trollish about it.