PDA

View Full Version : Paid Sick and Take-Care-of-Your-Neighbor Days to Be Mandatory in San Francisco

stephanie
01-26-2007, 02:49 AM
:uhoh:

Thursday, January 25, 2007

For many workers calling in sick means more than spending the day in bed, it also means not getting paid … unless you live in San Francisco.

Employers in the City by the Bay must now give paid sick leave to all their workers — even, in some cases, when they're not sick. One provision of the law allows workers without families to call in sick to care for a friend or neighbor — all on the boss' dime.
Voters overwhelmingly approved the measure, which is the first law of its kind in the country. It mandates sick pay for everyone from full-time cab drivers to part-time nannies. The law provides up to 9 paid sick days a year to an estimated 115,000 workers, including low-wage earners who, according to labor activists, can't otherwise afford to skip work.

A local chef says he's either going to have to raise prices or hire fewer workers:

“Sure it's kind of nice to suddenly have more sick days, but realize you end up giving something up for that, and no one ever looks at the consequences of their actions in this town, especially in politics, and especially with progressive politics," said area restaurant chef Dan Scherotter.

Local employers are having a hard time gauging the impact of the new law because the city is still drafting the rules and regulations explaining what businesses need to do to comply. But time is not on their side; the ordinance takes effect in less than two weeks.

FOX News’ Claudia Cowan contributed to this report.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,246799,00.html

Gaffer
01-26-2007, 09:09 PM
San Fransilly, the goofiest city in the nation. I would really enjoy seeing that city collapse on itself with its silly laws. None of those stupid liberals can see beyond their nose.

manu1959
01-26-2007, 09:24 PM
i can hear the calls now

ah hi .... uh ya..... i like won't be into work today .... i need to like go uh fuck my boyfriend like in the ass.... uh yea he is feeling a bit under the weather and i thought i would like go totally cheer him cheer him up....

Pale Rider
01-26-2007, 10:15 PM
i can hear the calls now

ah hi .... uh ya..... i like won't be into work today .... i need to like go uh fuck my boyfriend like in the ass.... uh yea he is feeling a bit under the weather and i thought i would like go totally cheer him cheer him up....

Like.... no shit. Well... like.... there might be.

I run into people from California all the time, since Cal is just over the hill basically, and a lot of them tell me that the whack job liberals all live in the city. That there are a LOT of CONSERVATIVES that live in California, but they're all spread out in all the little towns. San Diego, L.A., San Franqueerco, they can all fall off into the ocean tomorrow, and it won't be too soon. Crazy, liberal, sons a bitches.

darin
01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
I wonder how long before people sue to have their PETS covered under this law?

I swear, the majority of SF need to be cleansed from society like cancer. It's horrible. It's Sodom and Gomorrah,

Gaffer
01-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I wonder how long before people sue to have their PETS covered under this law?

I swear, the majority of SF need to be cleansed from society like cancer. It's horrible. It's Sodom and Gomorrah,

Where's the fire and brimstone when you need it?

darin
01-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Where's the fire and brimstone when you need it?

The earth hasn't EVOLVED far enough for that sorta FairyTale thing... ;)

KitchenKitten99
01-27-2007, 12:59 AM
does this law say anything about how often an employee can call in without reprimand? Most employers have a policy regarding absence. I'll bet that will take care of the frequent call-ins.

Mr. P
01-27-2007, 01:27 AM
:uhoh:

Thursday, January 25, 2007

For many workers calling in sick means more than spending the day in bed, it also means not getting paid … unless you live in San Francisco.

Employers in the City by the Bay must now give paid sick leave to all their workers — even, in some cases, when they're not sick. One provision of the law allows workers without families to call in sick to care for a friend or neighbor — all on the boss' dime.
Voters overwhelmingly approved the measure, which is the first law of its kind in the country. It mandates sick pay for everyone from full-time cab drivers to part-time nannies. The law provides up to 9 paid sick days a year to an estimated 115,000 workers, including low-wage earners who, according to labor activists, can't otherwise afford to skip work.

A local chef says he's either going to have to raise prices or hire fewer workers:

“Sure it's kind of nice to suddenly have more sick days, but realize you end up giving something up for that, and no one ever looks at the consequences of their actions in this town, especially in politics, and especially with progressive politics," said area restaurant chef Dan Scherotter.

Local employers are having a hard time gauging the impact of the new law because the city is still drafting the rules and regulations explaining what businesses need to do to comply. But time is not on their side; the ordinance takes effect in less than two weeks.

FOX News’ Claudia Cowan contributed to this report.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,246799,00.html

And folks wonder why companies are outsourcing and leaving the Country. :read: