PDA

View Full Version : Female soldiers told not to report sexual assauts

gabosaurus
09-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Once again, the U.S. military falters in its responsibility to protect female soldiers from assaults by oversexed men. It's not like this problem has existed forever. And it's not like the military hierarchy hasn't repeatedly chosen to protect its image rather than its personnel.
I have to wonder why women even bother to join the military. The active male rape culture will never be properly dealt with.
Let's try this link again:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article2359584.html

CSM
09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Once again, the U.S. military falters in its responsibility to protect female soldiers from assaults by oversexed men. It's not like this problem has existed forever. And it's not like the military hierarchy hasn't repeatedly chosen to protect its image rather than its personnel.
I have to wonder why women even bother to join the military. The active male rape culture will never be properly dealt with.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article2359584.html

Linky no worky

Gunny
09-30-2014, 07:03 PM

What about the men who are sexually harassed by over-sexed female officers? The female rape culture has never been dealt with.

Most women join the military because they're trying to prove "Daddy's little girl" is as good as the son he didn't have.

darin
09-30-2014, 07:05 PM
maybe they are told to not report fake sexual assaults? I think the Senator isn't interested in facts; just a political base like Gabby. If there's an Allegation against the military, she gets hot and horny.

tailfins
09-30-2014, 07:14 PM
maybe they are told to not report fake sexual assaults? I think the Senator isn't interested in facts; just a political base like Gabby. If there's an Allegation against the military, she gets hot and horny.

Thanks for helping me lose weight. Imagining Claire McCaskill that way makes me not want to eat supper, assuming I could now keep it down.

Gunny
09-30-2014, 07:21 PM

They're interested in the "usual suspects".

I've seen more women USE their gender to get special treatment and favors than I ever saw assaulted.

SassyLady
10-01-2014, 01:22 AM

Gabby, it's like any other job. If you don't speak up, or if you do and don't get it resolved, then go up a step. Keep going until there's no one higher and if still not resolved then get a lawyer.

What really pisses me off is women who are assaulted and never speak up making it harder for those that do speak up to be considered legitimate. It's hard for me to understand why a woman who joins the military is afraid to speak up even if it's her immediate superior telling her to not say anything. Get real people. You are responsible for yourself and you need to know the difference between doing things right and doing the right thing.

revelarts
10-01-2014, 03:09 AM
Gabby, it's like any other job. If you don't speak up, or if you do and don't get it resolved, then go up a step. Keep going until there's no one higher and if still not resolved then get a lawyer.

What really pisses me off is women who are assaulted and never speak up making it harder for those that do speak up to be considered legitimate. It's hard for me to understand why a woman who joins the military is afraid to speak up even if it's her immediate superior telling her to not say anything. Get real people. You are responsible for yourself and you need to know the difference between doing things right and doing the right thing.

This is not new stuff.
Sassy you might want to listen to at least the 1st 6-7 minute of this audio interview.
http://mynetbox.info/audio/Rape_Murder_and_Coverup_in_the_military.mp3
Everyone else .. well it seems you've already made up your own minds about the subject or know everything already.

But one of the things that's mentioned is that it's not safe to report the rapes in a war area.
there's one mother of a dead female soldiers who says that she would have advised her daughter to keep her mouth shut until she got home before pressing charges because she would have lived to tell about it.
One women did wait till she got home to report but was not taken from under the command of the sgt that was raping her. She went awol and was charged for that but the rapist never had anything done against him

Only 8% of rape cases are prosecuted against those charged. Compared to apx 40% in civilian courts.

Rape and Murder in the Military
How some troops are being “supported”.

Tonight, we speak with Retired Army Colonel Ann Wright about this simply disgusting story.
From her April story (http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/04/28/8564/):
“The Department of Defense statistics are alarming — one in three women who join the US military will be sexually assaulted or raped by men in the military… But, now, even more alarming, are deaths of women soldiers in Iraq, and in the United States, following rape. The military has characterized each of the deaths of women who were first sexually assaulted as deaths from “non-combat related injuries,” and then added “suicide.” Yet, the families of the women whom the military has declared to have committed suicide, strongly dispute the findings and are calling for further investigations into the deaths of their daughters. Specific US Army units and certain US military bases in Iraq have an inordinate number of women soldiers who have died of “non-combat related injuries, with several identified as “suicides.”
If there were EVER a story that cried out for your outrage, this is it. See below for what YOU can do.

About the Guest:
Ann Wright grew up in Bentonville, Arkansas, and attended the University of Arkansas, where she received a master’s and a law degree. She also has a master’s degree in national security affairs from the U.S. Naval War College. After college, she spent thirteen years in the U.S. Army and sixteen additional years in the Army Reserves, retiring as a Colonel. She is airborne-qualified.
In 1987, Col.Wright joined the Foreign Service and served as U.S. Deputy Ambassador in Sierra Leone, Micronesia, Afghanistan, and Mongolia. She received the State Department’s Award for Heroism for her actions during the evacuation of 2,500 people from the civil war in Sierra Leone, the largest evacuation since Saigon. She was on the first State Department team to go to Afghanistan and helped reopen the Embassy there in December 2001. Her other overseas assignments include Somalia, Kyrgyzstan, Grenada, Micronesia, and Nicaragua.

On March 19, 2003, the eve of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Ann Wright cabled a letter of resignation to Secretary of State Colin Powell, stating that without the authorization of the UN Security Council, the invasion and occupation of a Muslim, Arab, oil-rich country would be a disaster. Since then, she has been writing and speaking out for peace.
(http://www.voicesofconscience.com/)
Links
Ann Wright’s latest report – Sexual Assault in the Military: A DoD Cover-Up? (http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080801_sexual_assault_in_the_military_a_dod_cove r_up/)

http://www.expertwitnessradio.org/site/rape-and-murder-in-the-military/

Female Soldiers More Likely to Be Raped than Killed in Action, Says Rep.
September 10, 2008
By MEGAN CHUCHMACH (http://abcnews.go.com/author/megan_chuchmach) Megan Chuchmach More from Megan » (http://abcnews.go.com/author/megan_chuchmach)
A House subcommittee is set to shed new light on the problem of sexual assault in the military today, when it will hear testimony on sexual assault numbers, prevention and response as part of its ongoing investigation into the issue.
"A woman who signs up to protect her country is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire," said Rep. Jane Harman (D-CA), who introduced a bill this summer to increase and encourage the investigation of prosecution of sexual assault and rape cases in the military and is attending today's hearing.
It will be the second such hearing this summer but is highly anticipated because Dr. Kaye Whitley, the director of the defense department's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office, will testify. Whitley was a no-show at the session July 31, even though the committee had subpoenaed her to attend.
Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Michael Dominguez prohibited Whitley from attending that hearing, saying that his decision was based upon consultation with the assistant secretary of defense for legislative affairs and the general counsel of the DOD. ...

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5760295

Gunny
10-01-2014, 05:51 AM

They're not afraid to speak up, sassy. They wait until it's to their advantage to do so. The whole topic is a double-edged sword. A very interesting on if you're on the sidelines watching. My X was a WM, and watched her and her cohorts operate.

The topic isn't a one-sided coin.

revelarts
10-01-2014, 07:30 AM
So Gunny
one in three women who join the US military will be sexually assaulted or raped will then be waiting for the right time?
Some of the women in the study where that number came from didn't report it until they were old women and were long out of the service.

And as i mentioned above only 8% of women who do report rape or assault get convictions against their attackers.
compared to the still low but better 40% in civilian courts.
With those odds what's the "advantage"?

and also as i mentioned above.
some of the women have been killed or died in country if reported there.
Often AFTER they've put rape test or other evidence on file that's prove the accusation.
so some women realize that waiting is a better option than dying in the field.

When the # on record was 98 women who died in Afghanistan, 40 of those deaths were not combat related but accidents and other causes,
about 20 were "suicides" or known murders.

BTW there are about 1/2 million men over the last 70 years or so that have "claimed" rape... at the right time.

revelarts
10-01-2014, 07:30 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IAKiCdD0hkE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Noir
10-01-2014, 07:31 AM
What about the men who are sexually harassed by over-sexed female officers? The female rape culture has never been dealt with.

Most women join the military because they're trying to prove "Daddy's little girl" is as good as the son he didn't have.

Would you say there is a bigger male-rape or female-rape culture within the military?

Your second comment/generalisation, is rather (and needlessly) insulting to women who do join the armed services, a+

revelarts
10-01-2014, 07:37 AM
More women "lying" about assault... and waiting to report it.... "for their advantage".

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AYqnrD7HePg?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Gunny
10-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Would you say there is a bigger male-rape or female-rape culture within the military?

Your second comment/generalisation, is rather (and needlessly) insulting to women who do join the armed services, a+

I think I said what I said. There's no "rape" so long as the female is getting what she wants. "Rape" occurs after the fact when she doesn't get what she wants. That isn't saying rape doesn't occur. Its saying there's a one-sided view of the topic.

It's a complex argument people of ignorance wish to simplify.

revelarts
10-01-2014, 08:02 AM
I think I said what I said. There's no "rape" so long as the female is getting what she wants. "Rape" occurs after the fact when she doesn't get what she wants. That isn't saying rape doesn't occur. Its saying there's a one-sided view of the topic.

please expand for us ignorant folks.
because what you wrote above makes no sense to me.

what i hear you saying is
it's only rape if women don't get what they want after they've been forced into sex?
So if they get something "they want", after the fact, then it's NOT rape?

Noir
10-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Good grief, its important i keep coming on these kinds of forums to confirm this type of thinking spawns from rape discussions.

gabosaurus
10-01-2014, 10:08 AM

I hope you don't have any daughters.
Also, your answer is a perfect example of why male rape culture exists in the military. Because superior officers either look the other way or indirectly encourage it.

Gunny
10-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I hope you don't have any daughters.
Also, your answer is a perfect example of why male rape culture exists in the military. Because superior officers either look the other way or indirectly encourage it.

I have two. One is a vet. My ex is a retired Marine. Any more first-hand experience you think I need to have?

There is no such thing as a "superior" officer and they do NOT look the other way, and definitely don't encourage anything.

The "male rape culture in the military" is a myth, foisted by those who take single incidences and proclaim them the norm. Most guys I know in the military don't want anything to do with women because they don't want to be accused of some bullshit because some chick manipulating the system isn't getting her way. THAT is FAR more prevalent than your scenario. I NEVER went behind closed doors with a female Marine without a witness. I could with a male Marine.

You tell me WHO is getting away with WHAT here?

gabosaurus
10-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I have two. One is a vet. My ex is a retired Marine. Any more first-hand experience you think I need to have?

There is no such thing as a "superior" officer and they do NOT look the other way, and definitely don't encourage anything.

The "male rape culture in the military" is a myth, foisted by those who take single incidences and proclaim them the norm. Most guys I know in the military don't want anything to do with women because they don't want to be accused of some bullshit because some chick manipulating the system isn't getting her way. THAT is FAR more prevalent than your scenario. I NEVER went behind closed doors with a female Marine without a witness. I could with a male Marine.

You tell me WHO is getting away with WHAT here?

If this is the case, why would you allow your daughter to join the military? Aren't you afraid she will manipulate the system? Or perhaps get manipulated?
I believe that it happens more often than you think. And I think commanding officers DO look the other way. Or else they ignore it altogether. Because no one wants to buck the chain of command.
I get the idea that you are not in favor of women joining the military. Which is exactly how I feel.

Gunny
10-01-2014, 12:07 PM
If this is the case, why would you allow your daughter to join the military? Aren't you afraid she will manipulate the system? Or perhaps get manipulated?
I believe that it happens more often than you think. And I think commanding officers DO look the other way. Or else they ignore it altogether. Because no one wants to buck the chain of command.
I get the idea that you are not in favor of women joining the military. Which is exactly how I feel.

It was her choice, not mine.

What she did was get her feet all fucked up in Iraq. Any more questions you'd like to ask?

What I stated happens every day. What you think happens doesn't happen any more in the military by percentage than it does in civilian life.

I'm fine with women joining the military. On an even playing field. It isn't. I'm not in favor of them getting away with what they do, and then someone coming along supporting their alleged victimization. A woman accuses you of wrong and YOU have to prove you didn't do it.

Not very Constitutional, that.

DLT
10-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Assaults by "oversexed" men? Like.....it's not their fault, it's biological? Bullcrap. And I notice that those are YOUR words, not in the article.

It's more like....assaults by sub-human savages. Most men (real men) wouldn't even think of raping a woman. Hell, their ego alone wouldn't allow such behavior, even if their "id" secretly wanted it. Most men are civilized and don't think in those terms, much less act on it. The aholes that are assaulting and raping others (not just women) should be locked up like the rabid "worse than animals" they are. And they especially should not be allowed in the US military, since sooner or later they may be put in a position to victimize non-US women, as well.

Gunny
10-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Assaults by "oversexed" men? Like.....it's not their fault, it's biological? Bullcrap. And I notice that those are YOUR words, not in the article.

It's more like....assaults by sub-human savages. Most men (real men) wouldn't even think of raping a woman. Hell, their ego alone wouldn't allow such behavior, even if their "id" secretly wanted it. Most men are civilized and don't think in those terms, much less act on it. The aholes that are assaulting and raping others (not just women) should be locked up like the rabid "worse than animals" they are. And they especially should not be allowed in the US military, since sooner or later they may be put in a position to victimize non-US women, as well.

Calm down, Butch. She's equating consensual sex for favors with the cry of rape.

The REAL victims here are actual rape victims. The people who use the word to get ahead or get revenge screw it up for those that are actual victims by desensitizing the system. Gabby would have you believe some predatory animal is at fault when in fact, the women who abuse the system are the ones that create the problem.

SassyLady
10-02-2014, 01:13 AM
As I said previously, I'm pissed off at the women who are raped and do not speak up ... they are, in fact, letting the attacker get away with a crime and there will be more victims.

Gunny
10-02-2014, 12:51 PM
As I said previously, I'm pissed off at the women who are raped and do not speak up ... they are, in fact, letting the attacker get away with a crime and there will be more victims.

True. As I previously stated, the system itself and the people in it are desensitized. Their viewpoints are jaundiced, and it's not just the men. Because "the cry of rape", gender-bias, or sexual harassment are so overused to the point that it's a "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario.

The people who suffer for it are the ACTUAL rape victims.

One thing I always thought was rather hypocritical, as well as stupid, is it was always some old enlisted man who would bore you to tears about why women shouldn't be in the Corps, but always had "the Corporal with the big boobs" as his admin clerk.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2014, 07:10 PM
The usual suspects just want the women to shut the hell up and take it..

I say that thinking is stupid and evident of ignorant thinking and/or hoping to cover their asses when/if they do such crap.
When it is actual proven rape regardless the man's rank , his ass should do serious prison time.. with the stipulation for such harsh punishment being when its proven beyond a doubt. Otherwise if found guilty less harsh punishments be meted out.

I have a daughter, four sisters and 11 nieces...

None of my relatives have ever been raped. If they had trust me , if the law didn't punish the guy first , I would have--sooner or later.
A fact....-Tyr