PDA

View Full Version : Oregon man gets 30 years in Christmas bomb plot

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2014, 10:17 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-sentence-man-tree-lighting-terror-plot-110027101.html

Oregon man gets 30 years in Christmas bomb plot

Associated Press
By NIGEL DUARA
15 hours ago
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A young Somali American was sentenced Wednesday to 30 years in prison for plotting to detonate a bomb in Portland's downtown square while 10,000 revelers gathered to watch the mayor light a towering Christmas tree.

Prosecutors had sought a 40-year term for Mohamed Mohamud, 23, in the 2010 plot that actually was an FBI sting. But U.S. District Court Judge Garr King said Mohamud's youth and remorse for his actions helped lower his sentence.

King said he believes the actions of undercover FBI agents edged into "imperfect entrapment," the idea that though they didn't fully entrap Mohamud in a legal sense, their actions nonetheless encouraged him to commit wrongdoing.

"This is a sad case," King said.

Mohamud was arrested Nov. 26, 2010, after pressing a keypad button on a cellphone that he believed would trigger a massive truck bomb and kill people gathered for the annual holiday event. But the bomb was a fake provided by FBI agents posing as al-Qaida recruiters.

The undercover agents made friends with Mohamud after learning he had written for an online jihadi magazine and exchanged emails with accused terrorists.

King disagreed with defense attorneys who made a last-gasp effort to portray Mohamud's actions as those of a confused teenager who just had his braces removed when first contacted by an FBI agent posing as a member of a terrorist cell.

Mohamud chose the location and timing of the bomb, King said, and when offered the choice to commit peaceful acts of resistance, he instead told the undercover agents he wanted to "become operational."

Mohamud's defense team had sought a term of no more than 10 years, and said he will appeal the sentence.

The former Oregon State University and his parents spoke before he was sentenced.

"The things I said and did were terrible," Mohamud said. "The hardest thing is to go over the (undercover agents') tapes, to see myself, to hear what I was saying."

His mother, Mariam Barre, begged the judge for leniency.

"Give him another chance," she said through tears on the witness stand.

His father, Osman Barre, said he has watched his waifish teenage son become an adult in prison and mature in the process. But King said Mohamud's youth aside, the sentence had to both punish him for his actions and serve as a warning for anyone planning similar acts.

FBI director James Comey said Wednesday that King's remarks about "imperfect entrapment" will have no effect on the agency's sting operations.

Comey was in Portland as part of a national tour of field offices — the U.S. Attorney's Office for Oregon says his presence on the day of Mohamud's sentencing was a coincidence.

Insane judgment.. Piece of scum should have gotten no less than life in prison. His thirty years will end up being 9 or 10 years with good behavior. How is this crap any deterrent or proper punishment?
Myself, I say execute his sorry muslim terrorist ass. -Tyr

revelarts
10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
"...in the 2010 plot that actually was an FBI sting. But U.S. District Court Judge Garr King said Mohamud's youth and remorse for his actions helped lower his sentence.

King (the Judge) said he believes the actions of undercover FBI agents edged into "imperfect entrapment," the idea that though they didn't fully entrap Mohamud in a legal sense, their actions nonetheless encouraged him to commit wrongdoing.

"This is a sad case," King said...."

I posted a thread on this type of thing awhile back.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?33353-FBI-fake-terror-entrapment-Job-security-maybe&highlight=entrapment
the FBI have to drag young idiot "suspects" to the table and convince them to do something AND suplly with the tools to do it.

then they get a conviction, makes the Bureau look good on paper. stopping "terror".
While the serious cell threats go unmolested, boarder threats are ignored and pedophile rings continue.

But pragmatically I can't say i blame them for basically making crap up, the public is so brainwashed into fear over terrorism (less likely than being struck by lighting) that if they did what was merited on it in the U.S. and something did happen they'd be accused of negligence.

But there's been a couple of books and studies done on this issue in general
one study mentions that there are 400+ "terrorist" are in jail in the U.S., of that group only 4 were in the process of committing a violent act, WITHOUT a gov't sting operator leading the terrorist by the nose.

Inventing Terrorist link to the study
http://www.projectsalam.org/Inventin...ists-study.pdf (http://www.projectsalam.org/Inventing-Terrorists-study.pdf)

Interview 910 – Inventing Terrorists with Kathy Manley : The Corbett Report (http://www.corbettreport.com/interview-910-inventing-terrorists-with-kathy-manley/)

"Today we’re joined by Kathy Manley of Project SALAM and the National Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms to discuss her recent study, “Inventing Terrorists: The Lawfare of Preemptive Prosecution.” We talk about the ‘preemptive prosecution’ paradigm that is increasingly being used to prosecute government-designated terrorists in the “war on terror” and discuss examples of how the basic tenets of jurisprudence are currently being undermined in the American injustice system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0KnY5Y2es

revelarts
10-02-2014, 01:23 PM
FBI almost sent man to the chair for "terrorism" over bad and thin evidence.
And the press was at the man's house before the arrest to get it on film.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UAg8TRcL1LI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I posted a thread on this type of thing awhile back.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?33353-FBI-fake-terror-entrapment-Job-security-maybe&highlight=entrapment
the FBI have to drag young idiot "suspects" to the table and convince them to do something AND suplly with the tools to do it.

then they get a conviction, makes the Bureau look good on paper. stopping "terror".
While the serious cell threats go unmolested, boarder threats are ignored and pedophile rings continue.

But pragmatically I can't say i blame them for basically making crap up, the public is so brainwashed into fear over terrorism (less likely than being struck by lighting) that if they did what was merited on it in the U.S. and something did happen they'd be accused of negligence.

But there's been a couple of books and studies done on this issue in general
one study mentions that there are 400+ "terrorist" are in jail in the U.S., of that group only 4 were in the process of committing a violent act, WITHOUT a gov't sting operator leading the terrorist by the nose.

Inventing Terrorist link to the study
http://www.projectsalam.org/Inventin...ists-study.pdf (http://www.projectsalam.org/Inventing-Terrorists-study.pdf)

As if the real terrorist would not have been as good at getting the scum to go along and do it.
Why the hell does that matter Rev?
What matters is the piece of shit was willing to do it..
Fry his sorry terrorist ass and be done with it. Stop being so sissy about it.. -Tyr

LongTermGuy
10-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Ooops...sorry...Ty...posted the same thing...maybe Mods will combine..

revelarts
10-02-2014, 05:56 PM
As if the real terrorist would not have been as good at getting the scum to go along and do it.
Why the hell does that matter Rev?
What matters is the piece of shit was willing to do it..
Fry his sorry terrorist ass and be done with it. Stop being so sissy about it.. -Tyr

willing to do it.... after FBI encouraged him to.

no FBI, no Christmas day -attempted- bombing.
we have to give credit where credit is due.
who's more at fault, the kid just doing pot occasionally who never hurt anyone
or the pusher/cops that got him hooked on the hard stuff and gave him tools and a plan for him to rob homes?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Ooops...sorry...Ty...posted the same thing...maybe Mods will combine..

No problem, happens. I've done it often myself over the years. :beer:-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-02-2014, 06:00 PM

or the pusher/cops that got him hooked on the hard stuff and gave him tools and a plan for him to rob homes?

So what??
Wouldn't real terrorist encourage him too??

Make some damn sense Rev.. How does that lessen it?
Its a damn liberal way of looking at it too.
Every terrorist act here should be automatic execution and if they are muslim stuff em full of pork until their lousy muslim terrorists ass dies. Problem dealt with correctly! Tyr

Gaffer
10-02-2014, 06:00 PM

It's been a long time but as I recall, this guy initiated the contact by saying he wanted to do something like this to a guy who became an informant for the FBI. They didn't go looking for him.

revelarts
10-02-2014, 06:23 PM
So what??
Wouldn't real terrorist encourage him too??

Make some damn sense Rev.. How does that lessen it?
Its a damn liberal way of looking at it too.
Every terrorist act here should be automatic execution and if they are muslim stuff em full of pork until their lousy muslim terrorists ass dies. Problem dealt with correctly! Tyr

He wasn't around real terrorist.
NONE. He never met any. ZERO. No real terrorist in his circle at all.
that's the point.
so he wouldn't had done it if there was no FBI.

If your kid was doing a lil pot every blue moon and you knew the cops had turned him on to meth and heroin who'd you blame the most?

revelarts
10-02-2014, 07:03 PM
It's been a long time but as I recall, this guy initiated the contact by saying he wanted to do something like this to a guy who became an informant for the FBI. They didn't go looking for him.

You know it's been a while since i read up on this one as well.
I went and looked at a few articles.
seems he did want to make some kind of terror contacts and did want to hurt people.
And had some light contact with someone that the FBI says is a terrorist "recruiter".
But apparently the recruiter wasn't interested and or the kid really wasn't pursuing it seriously or something.
So the FBI stepped in and lead the kid along the darker path rather than send someone in outside of law enforcement that could possibly help the kid think strait.
So instead of possibly a dumb kid turned into a productive American, no we've got another full blown attempted murderer living of the state for 30 years.

Gaffer
10-02-2014, 08:42 PM
You know it's been a while since i read up on this one as well.
I went and looked at a few articles.
seems he did want to make some kind of terror contacts and did want to hurt people.
And had some light contact with someone that the FBI says is a terrorist "recruiter".
But apparently the recruiter wasn't interested and or the kid really wasn't pursuing it seriously or something.
So the FBI stepped in and lead the kid along the darker path rather than send someone in outside of law enforcement that could possibly help the kid think strait.
So instead of possibly a dumb kid turned into a productive American, no we've got another full blown attempted murderer living of the state for 30 years.

And you know this (bold) how?