PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper

SassyLady
10-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Comes out on Christmas Day. Directed by Clint Eastwood, starring Bradley Cooper. From the trailer it seems that Cooper nailed Chris's demeanor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRbAXWfthtA

Cooper told (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/10/01/american-sniper-bradley-cooper/16453043/) USA Today that he only had one opportunity to speak to Kyle, a brief phone conversation where the actor promised to do everything he could to tell this story faithfully, before the Navy SEAL was murdered by a troubled Marine veteran while practicing at a Texas shooting range. The shocking turn of events added pressurized the already delicate adaptation. "I had to do right by him and his family, there was really no choice," Cooper told the paper. "You're sitting across the dining-room table talking to this person's father and mother. And his children and wife are there. And he's passed away. Knowing that they are putting all of their stories in your hands and the responsibly of that, it's actually unique."
As evidenced in the trailer, Cooper's doing his part to realistically portray the fallen soldier. According to the same interview, the actor put on 40 pounds and trained with the same Navy SEALs who worked with Kyle, including Kevin "Dauber" Lacz, Kyle's sniper partner during his last two tours (he also served as a technical adviser and portrays himself in the movie).

Jeff
10-04-2014, 04:52 AM
That looks fantastic !!!

A good friend of mine was a sniper back in Vietnam, he drove for the same company I did, his handle on the CB was Squeezer. Squeezer and I got very close and he shared some with me, lets just say WOW, and yes this is coming form a NON military person, but some of the stories he had told me are just beyond what most would dream up.

Looks like a great movie, guess I will be heading to the theater.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-04-2014, 11:20 AM
That looks fantastic !!!

A good friend of mine was a sniper back in Vietnam, he drove for the same company I did, his handle on the CB was Squeezer. Squeezer and I got very close and he shared some with me, lets just say WOW, and yes this is coming form a NON military person, but some of the stories he had told me are just beyond what most would dream up.

Looks like a great movie, guess I will be heading to the theater.

I had a very close friend(now deceased) that served in Vietnam. I had to drag info out of him and only then because he liked me would he talk about it at all. He was not a sniper but he told me some stuff that he saw other guys do that even he was amazed to see..-Tyr

Jeff
01-17-2015, 11:55 AM
This movie opened last night here in the south and man what a movie, they had a showing at 9:45 sold out ( at 9:30 ) 10:00 also sold out, so we went to the 10:15 showing and man was it worth it, what a great American Hero Chris Kyle was, this movie showed action and how that action effected him and his family, just a great all around flick, heck I think I may even go back and see it a second time.

Kathianne
01-17-2015, 03:07 PM
I rarely go to the theater, hearing problem. I will see this movie though, I'm readin the book first though.

Jeff
01-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Chris's Dad talks about him

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=3994289654001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

Abbey Marie
01-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I saw the movie tonight. I loved it, and you could have heard a pin drop in the sold-out theater when it was over. HIGHLY recommended.

Kathianne
01-17-2015, 11:35 PM
I saw the movie tonight. I loved it, and you could have heard a pin drop in the sold-out theater when it was over. HIGHLY recommended.

I finished the book about 1/2 hour ago. It was the memorial edition and I can't wait to see the movie. The book was amazing.

LongTermGuy
01-17-2015, 11:47 PM
`Look forward to seeing the movie...will check it out soon.`

Jeff
01-18-2015, 05:22 AM
`Look forward to seeing the movie...will check it out soon.`

You won't be sorry.

jimnyc
01-18-2015, 06:40 AM
I saw this about 2 weeks ago (don't ask, a screener) :) ...

What a fantastic movie. His wife said there were several times during the movie where she had to remind herself that it wasn't Chris on the screen, and she cried a lot. A few friends stated similarly. Bradley Cooper met with Chris Kyle a few years back when the idea for the movie first started. No one knew how things would end up. Then as the move progressed, Cooper had to rely on old movies, old clips & interviews with friends and family.

I absolutely loved when the shrink thought maybe he was fucked up from so many shootings, and he stated he had no issue with any of his shootings and would answer for them in the after life. (not those words).

But the very, very ending was his motorcade for 200 miles to the cemetery. He was also memorialized in Cowboys Stadium (ATT). Here's a few clips that you must watch if you appreciate Chis Kyle and his wife...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U53ZVfW0CIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taya Kyle giving his eulogy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XKwCFqxiuh8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeff
01-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Fantastic Jim, after watching the movie those video's where very real. This is a true American hero and I can't think of anyway he or his family could ever be thanked enough for what he did.

Jeff
01-19-2015, 07:36 AM
OK it's not only us at DP that really liked the movie, seems it is a big hit all over.

Call it Hollywood's first superhero movie based on a real person.
Fueled by patriotism and six Oscar nominations, Clint Eastwood's American Sniper is headed for a $105.2 million debut (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-shocker-american-sniper-764330?utm_source=Yahoo&utm_campaign=Syndication&utm_medium=Box+Office%3A+How+%27American+Sniper%27 +Played+Like+a+Superhero+Movie) over the long Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend — the top opening ever for a non-tentpole and the biggest winter opening of all time. It's also the top four-day debut for an R-rated title.
So how did Sniper accomplish this unexpected feat and smash numerous records? It literally played like a superhero title, or other big franchise installment, doing huge business everywhere, from the smallest towns in America's heartland to more liberal cities on either coast.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/box-office-american-sniper-played-superhero-movie-050007915.html

Kathianne
01-19-2015, 09:48 PM
OK it's not only us at DP that really liked the movie, seems it is a big hit all over.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/box-office-american-sniper-played-superhero-movie-050007915.html

Ok, just came back from dinner after seeing the movie. It was great, though I did like the book better. Then again, I've never seen a movie I liked better than the book, including the Wizard of Oz.

The movie was just excellent and I'd recommend everyone see it. (From box office receipts, that seems to be happening.)