PDA

View Full Version : Decision to let cop killer Abu-Jamal give commencement speech 'despicable,' widow say

Pernicious
10-04-2014, 02:03 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6443&stc=1
A Vermont college's selection of convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal as speaker at its commencement Sunday is a “despicable” decision that should be reversed, his victim's widow told FoxNews.com.
Maureen Faulkner, whose husband Daniel was gunned down by Abu-Jamal in 1981, was shocked to learn of the selection by undergraduate students at tiny Goddard College in Plainfield. Abu-Jamal, who will not attend the event and whose speech will be pre-recorded, received a bachelor of arts degree from the 245-student liberal arts college in 1996 through a correspondence program.
“It’s not appropriate,” Faulkner said. “His freedom was taken away when he murdered a police officer in the line of duty. It seems like our justice system allows murderers to continue to have a voice over the public airwaves and at college commencement. It’s despicable.”
Abu-Jamal, born Wesley Cook, was sentenced to death following a high-profile trial in Philadelphia. His sentence was later reduced to life in prison without parole for killing Faulkner, a 25-year-old patrolman who scuffled with Abu-Jamal’s brother during an early morning traffic stop. Abu-Jamal, a member of the Black Panther Party, was wounded by a round from Faulkner’s gun and a .38-caliber revolver registered to Abu-Jamal was found at the scene with five spent shell casings, according to trial testimony.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/01/despicable-decision-to-allow-abu-jamal-to-give-college-commencement-speech/

DLT
10-04-2014, 02:10 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6443&stc=1
A Vermont college's selection of convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal as speaker at its commencement Sunday is a “despicable” decision that should be reversed, his victim's widow told FoxNews.com.
Maureen Faulkner, whose husband Daniel was gunned down by Abu-Jamal in 1981, was shocked to learn of the selection by undergraduate students at tiny Goddard College in Plainfield. Abu-Jamal, who will not attend the event and whose speech will be pre-recorded, received a bachelor of arts degree from the 245-student liberal arts college in 1996 through a correspondence program.
“It’s not appropriate,” Faulkner said. “His freedom was taken away when he murdered a police officer in the line of duty. It seems like our justice system allows murderers to continue to have a voice over the public airwaves and at college commencement. It’s despicable.”
Abu-Jamal, born Wesley Cook, was sentenced to death following a high-profile trial in Philadelphia. His sentence was later reduced to life in prison without parole for killing Faulkner, a 25-year-old patrolman who scuffled with Abu-Jamal’s brother during an early morning traffic stop. Abu-Jamal, a member of the Black Panther Party, was wounded by a round from Faulkner’s gun and a .38-caliber revolver registered to Abu-Jamal was found at the scene with five spent shell casings, according to trial testimony.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/01/despicable-decision-to-allow-abu-jamal-to-give-college-commencement-speech/

Haven't you noticed? Cop killers/haters are the new celebrity status stars in Amerika. Hell, he'll probably be paroled and given a professorship at one of our more liberal universities. It worked for Ayers/Dorn.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Haven't you noticed? Cop killers/haters are the new celebrity status stars in Amerika. Hell, he'll probably be paroled and given a professorship at one of our more liberal universities. It worked for Ayers/Dorn.

Welcome to obamaland.. Step right on in to the coming slavery parade boy an girls..

Do try to --keep your heads-- when so many will soon be losing theirs.

Dem, lib, muslim alliance folks..

The old America is dying and nobody is trying to save it because our own government is doing the killing.. -Tyr

Pernicious
10-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Welcome to obamaland.. Step right on in to the coming slavery parade boy an girls..

Do try to --keep your heads-- when so many will soon be losing theirs.

Dem, lib, muslim alliance folks..

The old America is dying and nobody is trying to save it because our own government is doing the killing.. -Tyr
Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! - Patrick Henry

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! - Patrick Henry

Not taught in our schools anymore. Thank the lousy dem/liberals and their allies for that.
Instead they are now being taught to protest truth, history and our Americanism. -Tyr

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/10/02/colo-students-protest-history-curriculum-which-would-promote-patriotism-citizenship

Colo. Students Protest History Curriculum Which Would Promote Patriotism, Citizenship

Students and teachers are protesting a possible change to U.S. history courses at a school board meeting tonight.

The newly elected, conservative-leaning Jefferson County School Board wants a new committee to review course material for history classes. The board initially wanted material to “promote citizenship, patriotism… benefits of the free enterprise system… Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder.”
Because of the controversy, the board removed all references to patriotism and civil disorder. Still, the board says it wants to limit a left-leaning curriculum that doesn’t teach American exceptionalism.

Turnout for the meeting was so high that it was streamed outside in the parking lot.

Comments to the article --

1. This is PC at the highest level. The problem is, it really isn't. There are some lost souls out there, either it's the students and teachers, or the media got it wrong.

2. I support this school board 100%. exactly what's wrong with patriotism, citizenship and the basis for our economy? The lack of respect for the ideas that made us the great country we once were, has made us the lousy mess we are today.

3. This is PC at the highest level. The problem is, it really isn't. There are some lost souls out there, either it's the students and teachers, or the media got it wrong.

4. jackasses... sigh...

5. Liberal teachers are the down fall of our schools today and this just proves they are trying to brain wash these kids ...Liberty Justice and The American Way ...Like it or Leave ....

6. Please watch to understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxwcPWcLAY

7. This just proves how they have down dumbed the kids. I agree with the school board. They should want to learn Patriotism and the constitution. I find their attitude very alarming. I think the teachers are dumber than the students.

8. Who put the little brats up to this protest?

9. Here is why, please watch and pass it along. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxwcPWcLAY

10. If you want the kids to study this you have to sell it to them better than those against it. Take the material to them and show them how patriotism and free enterprise affects them everyday. What would it be like today if we didn't have it. Ex. Without free enterprise they wouldn't have their precious Ipods, tablets, cell phones, vehicles, space shuttles, satellites, etc. Patriotism gave us our freedom and our independence from the British. It ended slavery. It has helped us through two world wars, four major wars and a depression. Now yes, the US does have its flaws and so does the other 196 countries in the world. But it is still America that most foreigners immigrate to. I wonder if these students have ever heard this quote, "Those who don't know about their past tend to repeat it." It's time for those who want to preserve our past and carry it to the future to start standing up to those leaders that are teaching that everything about the US is bad. Take the knowledge and facts to them

11. Sounds to me like the "legal marijuana" has already gotten to these ungrateful kids. Just like I've done for Mexico, I will boycott all future vacations in Colorado, & I have encouraged many more to do the same. There's not one of us who have not had at least one family member die fighting for our freedom, & for these spoiled little brats to spit in their faces makes my blood boil. Colorado is becoming California Jr

12. If those people dont want citizenship and patriotism, then they should up and leave our country, and I am sure we could arrange for their transportation out--maybe they would like to live under the control of a 3rd world country better..the school should have all the more reason to install that curriculum, not cave! that is the problem, too many people are caving to this BS these days.

13. Once upon a time (I don't know if it is true anymore) British schoolchildren were taught about their nation's accomplishments, and they graduated having a reasonable pride in their nation's past. The same is or at least was no doubt true for French schoolchildren, Russian schoolchildren, etc. And it used to be true here. We learned about our accomplishments alongside with our less than admirable moments. The blight of slavery was shown, but it was also shown that we took profound steps to eradicate it. The struggle for women's suffrage was shown, but it was then shown how we positively resolved that struggle. Somewhere along the road we got the idea that being patriotic was a bad thing, that it meant an ignorance of past wrongs, and history classes began to focus only on those past wrongs. It's one of those big societal lies that one can't be both patriotic and knowledgeable about all parts of our past.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-05-2014, 08:51 AM

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.