PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Now Using Apache Helicopters to Attack ISIS in Iraq

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-05-2014, 03:56 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/10/u-s-now-using-apache-helicopters-to-attack-isis-in-iraq/

U.S. Now Using Apache Helicopters to Attack ISIS in Iraq

WASHINGTON — The U.S. has begun using Apache AH-64 attack helicopters to strike at ISIS targets inside Iraq, the first time the aircraft have been used for offensive strikes since arriving in Baghdad in early July.

Their use opens up a new capability in the airstrike campaign against ISIS in Iraq, but one that also comes with risks, as they could be vulnerable to ground fire.

A defense official confirms that Apache helicopters were used this weekend as part of four airstrikes on a large ISIS force northeast of Fallujah. The attack was conducted in coordination with Air Force fighter aircraft that supported the operation.

A press release by U.S. Central Command said the air strikes near Fallujah “struck two mortar teams, a large ISIL [ISIS] unit and two small ISIL units.”

The official confirmed that the strikes were the first use of the Apache helicopters that were deployed to Iraq in early July.

Several Apache helicopters were included in an additional deployment of several hundred U.S. military personnel sent to Baghdad o reinforce security at U.S. embassy facilities and access to the Baghdad Airport.

The deployment of the attack helicopters was intended to be defensive nature, but their offensive capabilities are now being used against ISIS. Any restrictions on their use for offensive purposes were presumably lifted in early September when President Obama announced that offensive air strikes could be used against ISIS targets.

Apache helicopters can be used to provide close air support for ground troops, but can also fire Hellfire missiles at enemy targets from several miles away. The use of long-distance sensors and missiles lessens the potential exposure to small arms fire the helicopters could face in a ground combat situation. The aircraft are still vulnerable to small arms and missile fire, however, and during the war in Iraq several were shot down by enemy fire.

The defense official said the strikes northeast of Fallujah were coordinated with Iraqi security forces to support their operations.

“It’s a capability we have, that they asked for, and that could contribute to their operations” the official said.

In recent weeks Iraqi security forces have struggled against ISIS forces that have attacked several cities in Anbar Province west of Baghdad. ISIS victories there could pose an even greater security threat to Iraq’s capital.

As of Friday the Pentagon said it had conducted 334 airstrikes against ISIS — 248 in Iraq and 86 airstrikes in Syria.

Iraq has used a limited number of Russian-made attack helicopters against ISIS and has long sought to acquire Apache helicopters. In January the Pentagon announced the potential sale to Iraq of 24 of the aircraft for $4.8 billion, but so far Iraq has not indicated it will purchase the aircraft.

They had better start use lots and lots of them soon as ISIS will conquer all of Iraq if not stopped soon.

Obama started with a failed plan because he sought to limit the number of strikes. That's insanity--one hits an enemy with full force to stop it, isolate it in place and then destroy it--not just let it take more and more territory to hide and maneuver in IMHO...Tyr

LongTermGuy
10-05-2014, 05:07 PM
`Sounds to me like those boots are getting a lot closer to “on the ground"`

DLT
10-05-2014, 05:28 PM
They had better start use lots and lots of them soon as ISIS will conquer all of Iraq if not stopped soon.

Obama started with a failed plan because he sought to limit the number of strikes. That's insanity--one hits an enemy with full force to stop it, isolate it in place and then destroy it--not just let it take more and more territory to hide and maneuver in IMHO...Tyr

Obama is operating from the same leftist "mindset" that has made damned sure that America has lost every war it has fought since WWII. The....'limited strikes.. cause it's just not fair that we've got superior power.. so we have to scale it back' vs. shock & awe.

God HELP US if, or rather when, the radicals (outside of the US and inside the US) decide to nuke our major cities to teach us a "lesson"..... as if having Barack Hussein Obama as CIC for the past six years hasn't punished us enough and taught us a very valuable lesson...that unfortunately, all Americans have still not figured out. I can see Obama equivocating about using equal force against ANY US enemy that has just dealt us a death blow (or several death blows). He would first have to clear his thoughts and relax on the golf course, no doubt.

aboutime
10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Hate to say it here but. I predict. All of the attacks from the air IN ALL FORMS, will be stopped the day after ELECTIONS here in the USA.

Obama, and the Cut & Run Democrats in Congress have all been playing a Smoke & Mirrors game of PRETENDING THEY CARE about what ISIS/ISIL is doing, has been doing, or will be doing.

Everything Obama does is with THE ELECTIONS in mind. Nothing more, nothing less.

And, for anyone who demands a Link to back up my predictions.

Those LINKS will not be available...since they do not exist, until after Election Day in November.

The Obama pretender-in-chief of ACORN, otherwise known as the North American Branch of the Muslim Brotherhood.

This, I also suspect. Will instantly occur IF the Democrats retain the majority in the Senate. And the LAME DUCK status will give Obama the final green light that works to finally DESTROY, and BURY the former U.S.A.

Gunny
10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
`Sounds to me like those boots are getting a lot closer to “on the ground"`

They better. Or I'm envisioning "Blackhawk Down Part Deux"

WHO is around to pull off a ground rescue if one goes down? And I don't mean "we have this or that ..." I mean who is close enough on the ground to pull off a ground evac of a flight crew that is hardly armed for sustained ground combat while they wait for a rescue mission?

Wonder what Obama's excuse is going to be THEN ....