PDA

View Full Version : Boehner rakes in cash for openly gay Republican candidate

Pernicious
10-05-2014, 04:57 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6463&stc=1
Speaker John Boehner vowed last year that he’d back gay GOP candidates. Now, he’s making good on his word.
The Ohio Republican is heading to California this week, where he’ll raise cash for openly gay Republican candidate Carl DeMaio in defiance of several conservative groups.
Boehner’s trip to the Golden State marks the second leg of his fall tour to expand House Republicans’ 17-seat majority. The GOP’s efforts to broaden the playing field include races in blue regions like New York, New England and California, and support for gay candidates like DeMaio and Massachusetts’s Richard Tisei.“I’m disappointed but not terribly surprised that some extreme far right groups would rather lose elections than win elections, and have been very destructive for so many years within the Republican Party,” DeMaio said in a phone interview. “I’m glad so many people are finally realizing that and standing up to that, saying we may not agree on all issues but we agree on the vast majority of issues.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/219754-boehner-rakes-in-cash-for-openly-gay-republican

fj1200
10-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Not sure how you meant this thread but...

“I’m disappointed but not terribly surprised that some extreme far right groups would rather lose elections than win elections, and have been very destructive for so many years within the Republican Party,” DeMaio said in a phone interview. “I’m glad so many people are finally realizing that and standing up to that, saying we may not agree on all issues but we agree on the vast majority of issues.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/219754-boehner-rakes-in-cash-for-openly-gay-republican

... there are larger things at stake than purposely alienating a particular voting bloc especially one that presents a lot of fund raising opportunities. Anyone that respects conservative principles like small government and respect for the Constitution should be welcomed.

gabosaurus
10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
What a deceitful action! I think everyone should contribute to defeat this candidate.

tailfins
10-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Not sure how you meant this thread but...

... there are larger things at stake than purposely alienating a particular voting bloc especially one that presents a lot of fund raising opportunities. Anyone that respects conservative principles like small government and respect for the Constitution should be welcomed.

Even if lifestyles are not compatible with religious beliefs, there's no sin in doing business with that person. If that candidate is the best deal or the only deal for the GOP, then the GOP should be open for business. I would say this to any fellow conservative that opposes such a candidate: If you think you can defeat him, why don't you run for the office yourself? GETTING THE JOB DONE COMES FIRST. You're hiring someone to represent you in Washington. If you were charged with a felony and the only winning attorney that accepted a payment plan you could afford happened to be homosexual, would you hire him?

darin
10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
These types of stories bother me because they are stories. :-/

Why would it surprise anyone if ANY sitting R supports any R candidate.

Gunny
10-06-2014, 02:28 PM
What a deceitful action! I think everyone should contribute to defeat this candidate.

How is it deceitful? Looks pretty out in the open to me.

Noir
10-07-2014, 08:43 AM
These types of stories bother me because they are stories. :-/ Why would it surprise anyone if ANY sitting R supports any R candidate.

Because to some people, 'gays' get lumped in with other groups like pedophiles, drug addicts, and horse fondlers.

Gunny
10-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Because to some people, 'gays' get lumped in with other groups like pedophiles, drug addicts, and horse fondlers.

The GOP has bigger problems than gay voters. The could try appealing to conservatives that made up their voting base rather than trying to pick off special interest groups that aren't.

I will say however that gays can be pedophiles and drug addicts. You're on your own on that last one.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Not me. I just put them into the pervert group and be done with it.. :laugh:

Why waste time and misclassify too? -Tyr

fj1200
10-07-2014, 09:48 AM
The GOP has bigger problems than gay voters. The could try appealing to conservatives that made up their voting base rather than trying to pick off special interest groups that aren't.

And they can actually attempt to appeal to those voters by educating them as to why conservatism is the better choice. Conservatives don't win by promising something to some group, they win by making the better argument.

Gunny
10-07-2014, 10:58 AM
And they can actually attempt to appeal to those voters by educating them as to why conservatism is the better choice. Conservatives don't win by promising something to some group, they win by making the better argument.

But see, THAT's where the problem lies. The GOP doesn't understand conservatism. It understands pandering for votes, and DOESN'T understand what's doing wrong when it doesn't get them. Then they try to run on "We're not them." The same thing the Dems run on. The GOP keeps big government at the highest level and spends like Democrats. NOT a tenet of conservatism.