PDA

View Full Version : Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/07/school-assignment-islam_n_5943240.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam

A mother in Michigan took to Facebook last week to express her outrage over a 10th-grade school assignment that she felt promoted Islam.

In an initial post, Jennette Hall complained about a Jenison High School assignment that asked students to make a pamphlet about Islam. The post, which had been shared over 5,400 times as of Tuesday morning, said students were told the pamphlet would be used to "introduce Islam to 3rd graders."

Several days later, Hall clarified in another post that her daughter’s assignment asked her to create a pamphlet about Islam geared towards third-graders, but that students were not actually expected to hand the materials out to younger children.

“This assignment upset me because they are presenting Allah as the same God of the Christians and Jews. This paper, in my opinion, is promoting Islam by describing Allahs names as 'beautiful'. To me this is not simply factual like it should be,” Hall wrote about the assignment.

The school's principal, Brandon Graham, responded in his own Facebook post over the weekend, saying he wanted to correct "inaccurate information" about the assignment.

“While our high schoolers do study religions, the content is NOT presented to elementary students or used to proselytize in any way,” Graham wrote. “Furthermore, we *do indeed* teach Christianity along with other world religions.”

Graham further explained the assignment in an interview with a local Fox News affiliate.

“The assignment was to cover the five major world religions: The religions included Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam,” Graham said. “In our social studies classes, we certainly study all those religions to learn how a people, group and culture function. It helps us understand culture.”

But on Facebook, Hall noted that she still takes issue with the assignment, even though she has no problem with students studying the five major world religions.

“I was SHOCKED when my daughter showed me the pamphlet that she was required to make promoting Islam in a way 3rd graders could comprehend,” wrote Hall in her latest post. “As a mother who teaches her children that the One True Creator God is the GOD of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, it made me sick to my stomach to see my daughter promoting another god (Allah) as the One True Creator on a pamphlet!”

Hall wrote on Facebook that she plans to meet with the school's principal about the issue.

That's the ticket, teach them young that Allah is the ONE...........

Parents should be protesting the school and rioting like the protected blacks do-right???? ;)

They took Christianity out of the schools but bring in a child molesting pervert's cult teachings and now want to indoctrinate our young kids with that nonsense and terrorist murdering tripe!
Now we know why the bamboy (muslim-in-hiding) changed NASA's mission don't we?--Tyr

darin
10-08-2014, 05:58 AM
The mom is a little off, imo...off her rocker. It's no big deal to study religions of the world. I'd love my daughter to have to contrast Islam with God and Love - to present what she learned 'as if to a child'.

Gunny
10-08-2014, 06:31 AM
The mom is a little off, imo...off her rocker. It's no big deal to study religions of the world. I'd love my daughter to have to contrast Islam with God and Love - to present what she learned 'as if to a child'.

Well said.

Jeff
10-08-2014, 07:27 AM

I agree dmp but as long as they have taken Christianity out of the schools then there shouldn't be any religion in it.

What's good for one is good for all.

darin
10-08-2014, 07:49 AM
I agree dmp but as long as they have taken Christianity out of the schools then there shouldn't be any religion in it.

What's good for one is good for all.

Who are 'they'?

Do any christians go to school? There's Christianity in schools. Do history teachers / social science/studies teachers teach ABOUT any religions of the world? (Probably yes).

What's forbidden in school (and thank god for it) is promoting Christianity or any other religion (except atheism, and global warming religions; those are still promoted). Studying or learning the elements of faith or terrorism of a faith is still valid.

Jeff
10-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Who are 'they'?

Do any christians go to school? There's Christianity in schools. Do history teachers / social science/studies teachers teach ABOUT any religions of the world? (Probably yes).

What's forbidden in school (and thank god for it) is promoting Christianity or any other religion (except atheism, and global warming religions; those are still promoted). Studying or learning the elements of faith or terrorism of a faith is still valid.

I disagree , they don't teach Christianity in the schools as for Christians going to school is there not Muslims that do as well. As for the next part yes I am sure there are some teachers that teach about the religions of the world , so why have anything special they all get equal time that is not in the normal agenda.

It's real simple, do for all Religions the same way, it's all over the news down here how a HS football team wasn't going to be allowed to play because of a pre game prayer but yet other schools hand out prayer rugs, not equal at all.

gabosaurus
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I wonder if that mom would be just as upset if the assignment was preparing a report about Buddha. I have to doubt it, because complaining about Buddhism won't get you in the newspaper or on Fox News.

Jeff
10-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I wonder if that mom would be just as upset if the assignment was preparing a report about Buddha. I have to doubt it, because complaining about Buddhism won't get you in the newspaper or on Fox News.

Or how about the fact that not believing in Buddha wont get your head cut off :rolleyes:

Thunderknuckles
10-08-2014, 11:35 PM
“I was SHOCKED when my daughter showed me the pamphlet that she was required to make promoting Islam in a way 3rd graders could comprehend,” wrote Hall in her latest post. “As a mother who teaches her children that the One True Creator God is the GOD of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, it made me sick to my stomach to see my daughter promoting another god (Allah) as the One True Creator on a pamphlet!”
The woman is clearly ignorant of Islam's place in the pantheon of Abrahamic Religions, so I will just ignore her. She's clearly ignorant.
To the bigger issue: students of the appropriate age MUST be taught about religion and its impact on the course of human history. Islam plays a very prominent role but should be approached objectively. We all know that teachers are keen to shit all over Christianity and the Crusades but utterly fail to teach what happened between 632 D and 1096 AD. Teach about how Islam nearly destroyed Zoroastrianism, one of the world's great religions at the time, and conquered nearly 1/3 of Christendom by the sword. The Crusades were a response. A poorly executed and misguided response. But, a response nonetheless.
I look forward to the day my kids get this homework assignment.

Gunny
10-09-2014, 05:22 AM
The woman is clearly ignorant of Islam's place in the pantheon of Abrahamic Religions, so I will just ignore her. She's clearly ignorant.
To the bigger issue: students of the appropriate age MUST be taught about religion and its impact on the course of human history. Islam plays a very prominent role but should be approached objectively. We all know that teachers are keen to shit all over Christianity and the Crusades but utterly fail to teach what happened between 632 D and 1096 AD. Teach about how Islam nearly destroyed Zoroastrianism, one of the world's great religions at the time, and conquered nearly 1/3 of Christendom by the sword. The Crusades were a response. A poorly executed and misguided response. But, a response nonetheless.
I look forward to the day my kids get this homework assignment.

I don't have to worry about that assignment. My granddaughters go to private school. At a church. Whatever it takes.

darin
10-09-2014, 05:23 AM
Don't forget Dracula - Vlad was fighting against islamic invaders; Dracul - closest word they had for dragon - was his nickname.

jimnyc
10-09-2014, 05:42 AM

HUGE difference between learning about preparing a report about Buddha. How many Buddhists have lopped off heads over the years and shot 250 innocent people in the back of the head, just for the hell of it. Does Buddhism call for the discrimination of women? How about subjugation? Ho...

Nevermind, why waste my time. answers will never be forthcoming. What's the point.

Gunny
10-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Don't forget Dracula - Vlad was fighting against islamic invaders; Dracul - closest word they had for dragon - was his nickname.

vlad dracul. Son of the Dragon. The Ottomans were conquerors for power and wealth, not religion. Had they been about religion, the current ME would not be as it is. Dracula's problem was he was a strategic and tactical nincompoop.

Gunny
10-09-2014, 06:08 AM
HUGE difference between learning about preparing a report about Buddha. How many Buddhists have lopped off heads over the years and shot 250 innocent people in the back of the head, just for the hell of it. Does Buddhism call for the discrimination of women? How about subjugation? Ho...

Nevermind, why waste my time. answers will never be forthcoming. What's the point.

The Japanese were buddhists. Cutting someone's head off to them is a matter of honor. A true warrior had his head cut off. Slackers weren't given such. To die without honor goes against shinto. And women knew their role. They were slaves. They still are in Asia. I could go buy one right now.

Answer. :)

Noir
10-09-2014, 09:46 AM
[quote]Buddhist violence in Myanmar are the ethnic terror attacks, particularly against the Rohingya people and other Muslims in the region. The terror attacks were motivated by Buddhist monks (the prominent among whom is Wirathu) with the creation of the 969 Movement.[11] The violence reached prominence in June 2012 when more than 200 people were killed and around 100,000 were displaced.[12][13]According to the Human Rights Watchreport, the Burmese government and local authorities played a key role in the forcible displacement of more than 125,000 Rohingya and other Muslims in the region. The report further specifies the coordinated attacks of October 2012 that were carried out in different cities by Burmese officials, community leaders and Buddhist monks to terrorize and forcibly relocate the population.[14]The violence of Meiktila, Lashio (2013) and Mandalay (2014) are the latest Buddhist violence in Burma.[15][16][17][18]
[quote]

Relevebt given some of the above posts methinks.

red state
10-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Noir, it is called RETALIATION. The muSLUMs of that area had beheaded children in route home from school and other atrocities. The Budhists may have been wrong in the way they handled it but were 100% RIGHT for having the balls to "handle" a problem. Still, you are very much correct that there are attacks from other religions (such as the fairly recent murders of Christians at the hand of a radical hindu section of India that is clamping down on ALL religions other than hindu. Still, it is a far fetched thing to lump in Christians of today with this barbarism......on the contrary, it is Christians who go out of their way to HELP (even at the cost of losing their lives or livelihood).

Thanks for being a liberal that one can actually talk to and as usual, you are both right and wrong (as far as how I interpreted your point).

red state
10-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Jeff, you are spot on! If one cares to keep up with what is going on, there are three scenarios playing out:

1. There are still spots that adhere to our founding (predominantly CHRISTIAN).....many of which are under attack while WE have no interest of 'attacking' and rather be left alone. This adhering to our founding is also why our private and Home Schooling families are also under attack from big bro, big sis and the rest of the pukes. THEY simply can't and won't leave US alone.

2. There are segments of our society that attempt to teach 'equally' but in the end, iSLUM gets several chapters of study in a positive light whereas Christianity gets a paragraph (possibly a half page to a page if we are lucky) but that small section of a chapter is most always in a mediocre or downright NEG. light.

THEN there's 3. Your more liberal areas that cator ENTIRELY to iSLUM......even to the point of pulling out the prayer rugs for certain TIMES and even banning certain foods for ALL......simply to ensure that the muSLUMs are not "offended". These areas are usually EXTREMELY strict in banning anything and EVERYTHING Christian (or AMERICAN) by disciplining students who dare to LEGALLY express their faith or their patriotism (by daring to wear a t-shirt with the FLAG on some mexican holiday.....that really isn't even Mexican at all in its origins).

Right or wrong.....agree with me or not.....that's my take on it and much of this "take" is from observation.

darin
10-09-2014, 11:39 AM
vlad dracul. Son of the Dragon. The Ottomans were conquerors for power and wealth, not religion. Had they been about religion, the current ME would not be as it is. Dracula's problem was he was a strategic and tactical nincompoop.

Vlad attempted to defend christianity against muslim invaders. it's fact. Their faith drove their expansionism - much like today. To whom did Constantinople fall? Sultan Mohammed.

Gunny
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Vlad attempted to defend christianity against muslim invaders. it's fact. Their faith drove their expansionism - much like today. To whom did Constantinople fall? Sultan Mohammed.

Sure, you can throw that one in there. Vlad was defending his turf. The invaders could have been one-eyed, one-horned purple people eaters and he was STILL defending his turf. Vlad was defending Christianity? I suppose earning the nick "Impaler" was part of that "Christianity"? I'm thinking maybe not.

darin
10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Sure, you can throw that one in there. Vlad was defending his turf. The invaders could have been one-eyed, one-horned purple people eaters and he was STILL defending his turf. Vlad was defending Christianity? I suppose earning the nick "Impaler" was part of that "Christianity"? I'm thinking maybe not.

Absolutely it was - the impaling part. Vlad was ruthless with the Enemies of Christianity - the invading muslim hordes.

Gunny
10-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Absolutely it was - the impaling part. Vlad was ruthless with the Enemies of Christianity - the invading muslim hordes.

You think impaling is Christian? I must have missed THAT Sunday School lesson. Vlad was ruthless with the enemies of Wallachia. That they happened to be Muslims is rather convenient, but also inconsequential. But let's say you are correct.

How would you feel about being occupied by a foreign nation that did nothing but exploit us? Oh yeah, we had to kick the Brtis' asses twice over that, and The French and Mexicans one each. And why exactly does our Nation exist to begin with? Religious persecution.

I'm all for corralling their asses and keeping them in their playpen. Let them kill each other from now on. We had containment until we decided to meddle.

gabosaurus
10-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm all for corralling their asses and keeping them in their playpen. Let them kill each other from now on. We had containment until we decided to meddle.

Too much truth for most to deal with.