PDA

View Full Version : Regular cannabis use leads to long-term mental health problems and addiction

tailfins
10-07-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2782906/The-terrible-truth-cannabis-British-expert-s-devastating-20-year-study-finally-demolishes-claims-smoking-pot-harmless.html

revelarts
10-26-2014, 04:18 PM
20 Year Study

One in six teenagers who regularly smoke the drug become dependent
It doubles risk of developing psychotic disorders, including schizophrenia
Heavy use in adolescence appears to impair intellectual development
Driving after smoking cannabis doubles risk of having a car crash
Study's author said: 'If cannabis is not addictive then neither is heroin'

well Arightty then.
this puts a new twist on the issue.

"doubles risk of developing psychotic disorders, including schizophrenia"
this is the most troubling here IMO. I'm assuming they've ruled out other factors.
But frankly I seen some of this.

Still I've Had alcoholic and Pot head relatives and associates.
Frankly the alcoholics have done more damage long term.

I don't think people should do either or at least they should do it honest moderation.
Or for real medicinal purposes. whether Alcohol or Pot.

http://www.tvacres.com/images/granny_clampett.jpg

tailfins
10-26-2014, 04:37 PM
I thought this thread would draw a user named Daft2012 out of the woodwork. He used to call everyone "Potash Conservatives".

hjmick
10-26-2014, 04:50 PM
I suppose I should expect a psychotic break any day now...

jimnyc
10-26-2014, 04:50 PM
A few of the comments on that page...

This is not a "20-year study" but a review of studies by that go as far back as 20 years by someone who has a history of anti-cannabis sentiment. It brings nothing new to the table. In fact it reiterates that as far as recreational drugs are concerned, including alcohol, cannabis is relatively significantly less harmful. Most of the adverse effects found involve regular, heavy adolescent use, which is exactly what a legalized, regulated approach will reduce.

They don't cite their sources and the videos they post don't reflect the views of the article, This us just another article which is intended to spread the stigma attached to cannabis

jimnyc
10-26-2014, 04:53 PM
I suppose I should expect a psychotic break any day now...

You have no idea! I would be in a padded room by now. I do think it can be addictive, but it's in ones mind. The writer is an idiot for even mentioning heroin as far as addiction is concerned. Marijuana can just be dropped. If one is abusing heroin the same, they will get violently ill if they try to stop.

NightTrain
10-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I don't know... I know some guys that I went to high school with that are still potheads. Their mental aptitude is little more than a carrot, but they still figure out how to get more weed. That's pretty much their top priority in life.

I think it's like anything... gotta do it in moderation or it'll kick your ass.

jimnyc
10-26-2014, 05:57 PM
I don't know... I know some guys that I went to high school with that are still potheads. Their mental aptitude is little more than a carrot, but they still figure out how to get more weed. That's pretty much their top priority in life.

I think it's like anything... gotta do it in moderation or it'll kick your ass.

That's hilarious! LOL No doubt, there are those who partake, and there are those who are true stoners.

I smoked for many, many years. At times it was here and there, and at other times I was a stoner. No doubt when used 37 times daily it will keep you down and effect much of what you do, similar to if you drank throughout the day. If you only smoked every few days, or even if it was just a little at night, it's effects are almost harmless. Abuse it and it might bite back! I think that goes for most things though. Turkey isn't really harmful, but I found that when I ate 9 sandwiches a day it had a bad effect on my weight. :dunno:

I certainly don't see marijuana as "innocent" or like water, but it's far from being in the same category as heroin, that's for damn sure. For long term use, my belief is that it's even less harmful than alcohol (when abused).

But like you said, in moderation. If someone wants to enjoy a glass of wine here and there, or a few beers to end the day, or smoke a joint to relax, I don't see a big deal. But abuse any of the above? That's a different ballgame.

fj1200
10-26-2014, 08:26 PM
I thought this thread would draw a user named Daft2012 out of the woodwork. He used to call everyone "Potash Conservatives".

It was a nice try though. But he took off long ago when Jim let the board go leftie. :laugh:

gabosaurus
10-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Regular use of tobacco products leads to premature DEATH.
Same as regular overuse of alcoholic beverages.