PDA

View Full Version : Including rap music in Rock's Hall of Fame!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Insanity it is!!! Rap crap in Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/20-best-moments-at-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2014-induction-20140411

Read the comments on the link..

Rap is in and that makes it even more of a joke than it has ben for years when it excludes artists like Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, etc.. but puts in ffing Rap music!--:puke3:
-Tyr

darin
10-10-2014, 08:24 AM
As a genre Rap is the voice of many generations. Some of it is amazing. Good call to include it.

NightTrain
10-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Yeah, HBO was broadcasting it when this all went down, and I didn't understand then or now why they're inducting groups that are not Rock.

I guess because there isn't a Rap & Hip Hop Hall Of Fame, they felt they should take up the slack.

Another institution that has become a joke. There's still plenty of Rock bands deserving of the honor that have yet to be inducted.

jimnyc
10-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I agree with all - I have no issue with Rap music being recognized, it has been extremely influential. Hell, I listen to a little, mostly Eminem though. BUT, I don't think the Hall of Fame is the place for it, as it should be strictly for rock and roll, IMO. Like anywhere else, a lot of it comes down to internal politics and money. FAR too many deserving bands that should be in there instantly, but to this day aren't. And let's face it, Rap is big money. But yeah, with that amount of money, influential folks should create a separate entity so that they aren't mixed - or just rename the joint to "Music Hall of Fame".

NightTrain
10-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I agree with all - I have no issue with Rap music being recognized, it has been extremely influential. Hell, I listen to a little, mostly Eminem though. BUT, I don't think the Hall of Fame is the place for it, as it should be strictly for rock and roll, IMO. Like anywhere else, a lot of it comes down to internal politics and money. FAR too many deserving bands that should be in there instantly, but to this day aren't. And let's face it, Rap is big money. But yeah, with that amount of money, influential folks should create a separate entity so that they aren't mixed - or just rename the joint to "Music Hall of Fame".

Yep, exactly.

Change the name if you want to include other genres, then there's no issue.

darin
10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Kid Rock. Rap AND rock.

Thunderknuckles
10-10-2014, 10:15 AM
They should change the name to the Music Hall of Fame. This year, one of my personal favorites, Bill Withers, was nominated. He certainly deserves recognition but not in the "Rock and Roll" HoF. R&B, you bet.

gabosaurus
10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
They should change the name to the Music Hall of Fame. This year, one of my personal favorites, Bill Withers, was nominated. He certainly deserves recognition but not in the "Rock and Roll" HoF. R&B, you bet.

I think they use "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" as a catch all for every genre of music. Which is what they should include.
Unfortunately, the head of the HOF is Jann Wenner, the publisher of Rolling Stone, who has definitely prejudices and is not afraid to put them forward.

My view of the 2015 nominees:

Lou Reed -- a lock. One of the most influential artists of all time.
NWA -- another should be lock. One of the originators of modern rap. I dislike rap, but it is important to a lot of people.
Kraftwerk -- influential in electronic music, but Tangerine Dream should be inducted in front of them
Joan Jett -- Why not just induct the Runaways?
Sting -- He's already in with The Police. His solo work has never moved me.
Bill Withers -- Not against him, but others are more deserving
Trent Reznor -- Another of Wenner's niche picks. No way his solo work deserves it.
The Smiths -- Blech. This is so out of left field.
Paul Butterfield -- too many from this genre are more deserving
The Spinners -- same as above
Green Day -- Seriously? Green Day? Seriously?
Marvelettes, Chic, War -- where do these nominees even come from?
Stevie Ray Vaughn -- Hendrix is already in. Why do we need SRV?

Thunderknuckles
10-10-2014, 01:45 PM
The Smiths -- Blech. This is so out of left field.
My wife disagrees with you.

Stevie Ray Vaughn -- Hendrix is already in. Why do we need SRV?
Blasphemy!! I hope you are subjected to an IRS audit :laugh:

gabosaurus
10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Instead of nominating The Smiths, just nominate Morrissey.
As for Stevie Ray Vaughn, he is a lot more famous and respected now than before he died. Randy Hansen and Uli Jon Roth both do a better Hendrix.

Gunny
10-10-2014, 04:39 PM
My wife disagrees with you.

Blasphemy!! I hope you are subjected to an IRS audit :laugh:

The name should be "The Pop Music HOF". I grew up on a lot of Motown. It's considered R&B, but it was actually pop. Rap and hip hop are the same. Pop country hit the R&R charts as well when I was a kid. Rock and Roll hasn't been a relevant descriptor since the 60s.

PixieStix
10-11-2014, 12:14 PM

The only "rap" I ever listened to and liked is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7_FuB58gLs&list=FLPoHwbLVXmAWJ_5yqp43t5w&index=21

tailfins
10-11-2014, 02:59 PM
My parents had the same opinion of Rock and Roll that many on this board have about Rap. My mom used to see the Rolling Stones on TV, shake her head and say "It looks like they're having a fit."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQX5HGWaLdc

Gaffer
10-12-2014, 06:33 AM
My parents had the same opinion of Rock and Roll that many on this board have about Rap. My mom used to see the Rolling Stones on TV, shake her head and say "It looks like they're having a fit."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQX5HGWaLdc

Mick Jaggar did look like he was having a fit. My father didn't like Rock n Roll either. But he tolerated me and my brother and would watch our shows with us when we wanted to see the bands perform. That's way more than I can tolerate about rap. I refuse to sit through even a minute of the crap. It's not music, it's noise with an ignorant fool spouting inane threats and insults acting like a tough guy.

Jeff
10-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Rap isn't music period !!!

jimnyc
10-12-2014, 08:41 AM

I'm going to get hated for this, but I do think some rap music is ok, and some has been very influential for the good. I just think it should be in the "rap hall of fame".

This is known to be played at every NFL pregame, and even during stoppages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYQQPAOz7Y

Jeff
10-12-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm going to get hated for this, but I do think some rap music is ok, and some has been very influential for the good. I just think it should be in the "rap hall of fame".

:lol::puke::puke3::puke::lol:

jimnyc
10-12-2014, 09:01 AM
:lol::puke::puke3::puke::lol:

Why you dirty fucker! Here's another you'll love, mixed in with a rock and roll band!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

Jeff
10-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Why you dirty fucker! Here's another you'll love, mixed in with a rock and roll band!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

I remember when that video came out, and although I hate to admit it I liked it, but Rap isn't music. Yes there are a few that are almost OK but the majority just plain sucks ( can't think of a better way to describe it )

NightTrain
10-12-2014, 09:19 AM

I tried to listen to it.

Nope. Can't do it.

Buncha no-talent hacks! WTF is wrong with singing lyrics instead of yelling words and acting tough? Most of those lyrics don't even rhyme anyway.

/end rant

I have my asbestos underarmor on today, let the flaming commence! Ain't skeered!

namvet
10-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Rap is crap. unless you like white noise

Elessar
12-30-2014, 05:06 PM

RAP is syncopated Chant - rarely, very rarely, does the beat change..

The only thing that changes is the lyrics.

It has no business in the Rock and Roll HOF.

red state
12-30-2014, 10:06 PM
I can't stand rap (in the true sense of the word) and consider it more of a distorted poetry set to some sort of beat that some call "music" but that isn't any different from the beatnicks who chanted chaotic nonsense in the 60's while their drug induced partner patted on some drum while the "poet" rambled on about injustices. Sound familiar.

Having said that, however, there have been country and rock bands who performed some form of rap LONG before there was actually "rap". This is by no means my indorcement that ANY 'performer' we know of is deserving to make it to any hall of fame (other than the RAP hall of fame). It is much like having a Ms Black America but I have personally never seen or heard of a Ms White America.....YET.

You could possibly call rappers the offspring of those from the 50's and 60's who were of 'artistic self-expression' but they are not ROCK and never should be honored in the already soiled R H F!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-30-2014, 10:32 PM
rap is crap!!!!!!!!!--tyr

tailfins
12-31-2014, 03:54 AM

So let's see here: I go multicultural in my music listening by enjoying Pitbull and Snoop Dogg you still get criticized for listening to sexist music. There's just no winning the "politically correct" game. Pitbull's music is much less original since going English language and buckling to politically correct pressure. What red blooded male wouldn't enjoy "scenery" like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk

Jeff
12-31-2014, 04:47 AM
So let's see here: I go multicultural in my music listening by enjoying Pitbull and Snoop Dogg you still get criticized for listening to sexist music. There's just no winning the "politically correct" game. Pitbull's music is much less original since going English language and buckling to politically correct pressure. What red blooded male wouldn't enjoy "scenery" like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk

I made it 50 seconds , didn't see anything I like and the sound made me ill :laugh: Rap just does nothing for me.

red state
12-31-2014, 09:22 AM
I made it 50 seconds , didn't see anything I like and the sound made me ill :laugh: Rap just does nothing for me.

NEITHER DOES "APPEASEMENT DO ANYTHING FOR ME. When I listen to music, it is for me and I don't care (ONE BIT) whether I'm being too racist, sexist or whatever leftist always try to throw in.......such as their usual; get-a-long / go-along with just about EVERYTHING. I'm glad we have lines....it is good to have lines (just wish we had some really tall, long lines topped with barbed wire to keep THEM on one side and US on the other.

Rap, as we know the true sense of the word, is CRAP and they can either get their own CRAP HALL or simply leave the ROCK HALL alone. I'm sure there are plenty of them to get it going and I'm all for THEM having their own MS MEX, Ms TEX/MEX, MS Left Coast, MS BLACK or MS RAP America Pageant. Ms MISSISSIPPI will always be the best so leave US to ours and THEIR's to THEM. Was that racist enough?! I hope so. I'm still bothered that the Cherokee do the same thing but at least we have our own President and Constitution. What do they have? Whiners, Complainers, Looters from my point of view.

jimnyc
12-31-2014, 09:29 AM

No need to win. If someone else doesn't like your musical taste, or thinks the music is crap, who the hell cares? I'm sure some of their music is crap too! Different strokes for different folks. What some call crap makes others millions and millions listen and support it. To each their own! :)