PDA

View Full Version : For the first time, I consider the idea women may be getting unequal pay

tailfins
10-11-2014, 10:05 AM
And here's why: Women are nesters. They are slower to walk away from unacceptable jobs and accept lots more crap. That includes not walking away from lower pay. The onus isn't on those "chauvinist pig men" paying too little. It's the risk-averse women. Feminists want men to take all the risk while they get all the return. In other words, "Equal pay for equal work" doesn't account for the risks taken to get where one is. Yesterday I heard it said at the Dallas TechFest: "Aversion to risk yields crap". That is an adaptation of Sturgeon's law, see below. Many women are poor managers because they impose disciplinary action for taking risks. "Working by consensus" is the exact opposite of risk taking. If someone wants my respect, they can tell me about a time or two when they were told "Do X or you're fired" and chose the latter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141010075806-291225-even-after-microsoft-ceo-s-gaffe-many-tech-execs-won-t-want-equal-pay?trk=pulse-det-nav_art

SassyLady
10-12-2014, 02:15 AM
And here's why: Women are nesters. They are slower to walk away from unacceptable jobs and accept lots more crap. That includes not walking away from lower pay. The onus isn't on those "chauvinist pig men" paying too little. It's the risk-averse women. Feminists want men to take all the risk while they get all the return. In other words, "Equal pay for equal work" doesn't account for the risks taken to get where one is. Yesterday I heard it said at the Dallas TechFest: "Aversion to risk yields crap". That is an adaptation of Sturgeon's law, see below. Many women are poor managers because they impose disciplinary action for taking risks. "Working by consensus" is the exact opposite of risk taking. If someone wants my respect, they can tell me about a time or two when they were told "Do X or you're fired" and chose the latter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141010075806-291225-even-after-microsoft-ceo-s-gaffe-many-tech-execs-won-t-want-equal-pay?trk=pulse-det-nav_art

I've done it twice. I refuse to do anything illegal, immoral or unethical. As an accountant that can get in the way of moving up the ladder.

My philosophy is that I was looking for a job when I found this one.

I quit one of my highest paying jobs as accountant for a law firm because I wouldn't cave to the idea "do it until you are caught and then pay the fine". Just not my way of doing something.

Good thing is that both times I started my own business and made a ton of money.

Shadow
10-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Can't really say that I was ever asked to do something unethical in the work place. Actually all of the corporations that I have worked with spend countless hours sending you to ethics training so that rules aren't broken.

One of the main reasons I have taken a cut in pay in the past though...was due to more flexible work hours and better benefits...with the potential for growth. Less overtime,PTO that rolls over and flex hours = more time to spend with family. To me that out ways the negatives in lower wages.

Trigg
10-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Women are more likely to take lower pay for either fewer hours or flexible schedules. Women are the ones most likely to stay home for a few years with young children.

It really shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone that women in general make less than men when children are included in the equation.

darin
10-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Thus, it's a non-issue except for people looking for free shit. :)

tailfins
10-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Women are more likely to take lower pay for either fewer hours or flexible schedules. Women are the ones most likely to stay home for a few years with young children.

It really shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone that women in general make less than men when children are included in the equation.

I would say at least in my field a woman on leave can maintain her market worth by taking online courses, doing occasional presentations at user group meetings and maintain her professional network. My most common reason for leaving an organization is a having a team lacking craftsmanship and lacking pride in their deliverables.