PDA

View Full Version : USS America: The Navy's Newest Flattop Can't Decide What The Hell It Is

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/uss-america-the-navys-newest-flattop-cant-decide-what-1645391823

USS America: The Navy's Newest Flattop Can't Decide What The Hell It Is

Yesterday, as part of San Francisco's Fleet Week festivities, the US Navy had a high-profile commissioning ceremony for the USS America LHA-6, the fourth US Navy ship to bear the name and the first in a new class of amphibious assault ships that are really more like aircraft carriers, yet somehow, compromised as both.

Although her maiden voyage — a delivery cruise from Louisiana to her home port in San Diego — went well, the America Class remains a controversial defense program that is tied directly to two of the most controversial defense programs of all time. Those being V-22 Osprey and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

The America Class, although based largely on the final Wasp Class vessel, USS Makin Island LHD-8, and slightly larger by displacement, greatly differs from it and recent big deck 'amphib' designs of last few decades in one major way. Recent big deck amphibious assault ships, such as the Tarawa and Wasp Classes, are as much floating docks as they are aircraft carriers, with huge hangar-like floodable garages located on their sterns. These "well decks" are where everything from small boats to massive Land Craft Air Cushion hovercraft operate from. The new America Class on the other hand was designed without this key feature, instead her focus will be on aviation, specifically the F-35B Joint Strike Fighter and the MV-22B Osprey.

Many have argued that this aviation focus basically makes the America Class strictly an aircraft carrier. This is true to some extent, although the Wasp and Tarawa Classes that came before her were also larger than the vast majority of 'aircraft carriers' operating around the world, but their well decks and large parking garage like cargo spaces were clearly a differentiating factor. One thing is certain, the USS America is all about vertical envelopment of the enemy, and will largely leave the surface logistics and sea-born assault aspects of Marine expeditionary warfare to her San Antonio Class, Whidbey Island Class, Harpers Ferry Class, and Austin Class cousins when operating as the centerpiece of an Expeditionary Strike Group.

There is no doubt that leaving the well deck off the America Class takes a lot of the multi-role flexibility out of the what has become the Pentagon's floating multi-tools of expeditionary combat. Yet times do change, and being able to storm and hold beaches may not be as relevant as it once was. Instead, the America Class is more about striking deeper into enemy territory via the Marine's Ospreys and F-35Bs, although the Wasp Class can also operate these aircraft. This strange conundrum has left many military analysts puzzled as to the reasoning behind giving up the America Class's true amphibious capabilities just to hold more munitions, jet fuel and provide more hangar space for aviation assets.

We need more and we need to use it all against THE DAMN MUSLIM TERRORISTS OVER THERE.
Use it effectively but will never happen with Obama because he only does so for show not for results. Tyr

red state
10-14-2014, 10:07 AM
http://www.ussmississippi.org/ussmiss/assets/Image/site-components/header.jpg

http://www.ussmississippi.org/ussmiss/

My uncle (now retired) was (is) a master electrician who worked over 30 years building great ships in the Biloxi area ship yards so this is yet another "PRIDE THING" for me (as well as for Mississippians) who live in a State that excels in both ship building as well as providing extremely high tech gadgetry for NASA (along with our twin State of Alabama).

As for what Tyr posted above; YES....we need more such ships in every size shape and fashion to combat threats we face from all over the world (as well as here at home). We need to keep them and not send them to blue states (as TX did in sending their Space Shuttle). If the North and liberal areas want quality ships, let them build their own. I'm not sure but I believe EVERY State should provide their own and designate where they prefer such ships to be stationed (if land locked). In fact, I believe EVERY State should have at least one of each class of ship stationed PERMANENTLY for our "home-land security". They can build 100 if they have the funds but keep a certain amount HERE. About Time can probably verify that we are doing just that but it certainly seems as though we have many ghost ship yards with substandard equipment in many of our ports and holding houses.

At any rate......talk about "shovel ready jobs"............BUILD up our military! I'm even in favor of each State having a military program that prepares each State's citizenry for service toward the service and SECURITY of that person's own State. Keep the "National Gaurd" here (HERE) and build up the regular Army, Navy and Airforce for deployment. I'd like to see HUGE complexes throughout the Mississippi River, the GREAT Lakes and other such areas where a breach in our defenses (by land, air and water) are obvious. It would not only serve as a PRIDE thing for all to see (commonly) but would obviously serve us well in times of NEED. Of course, our having the BEST in rockets, jets, ships, tanks and guns do little good when we have an enemy from within and an OPENLY bleeding border of criminals, dead-beats, terrorists and dangerous/deadly diseases.

Perhaps this was a bit long winded to simply respond to Tyr's post or the adage of pride we Mississippian's have for what AMERICA builds but those with attention span disorders will not read it and those with interest will appreciate it and, possibly, even agree.

red state
10-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Just one more thought................YES, such suggestions would heavily cost the tax payers BUT with all the taxes that have been heaped upon us that serve (NOT AMERICANS) but anti-american groups and border invaders, I'm fine with converting all of our waste so that we can avoid military closings and start having military OPENINGS. Heck, start with having HUGE military complexes every 20 miles or so on ALL of our borders and give our men in training some experience of "containing" enemy lines......cuz that is what our borders and sea ports have been for years.

In closing, I'm just glad that (even under B.O.) we still build SOMETHING and I can't think of anything better to spend our taxes on that improving (not diminishing) our military.

Tyr, glad that we still KNOW how to build.....shoot, speak our mind and see things for how they TRULY are.

Gunny
10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Looks like they're taking two LCAC's out of the MEU. That's the primary purpose for the floodable well deck. What it doesn't address is whether the stern is rigged for LVTVIIs to deploy. Nor how to intend to get the Hummers on the ground. They used to go in on the LCACs. The troops can go on on the amtraks or 46's.

So the Marine Corps is going to replace the Harriers with the F-35, huh? I guess I can see that. We'd have 12 Harriers and at any one time 4-6 of them worked. :laugh:

aboutime
10-14-2014, 03:42 PM
It is not a FLAT TOP per se, as the rest of our aircraft carriers are rightfully called.

The USS AMERICA is an Amphibious ship with a a well deck. Just a newer version of what was the LHA. Used to transport Marines, their equipment, and provide Assault craft capabilities like LCAC's and other amphibious boats. And, the FLIGHT DECK (flat top) is primarily for Helocopters, and Ospray aircraft also used to carry Marines to the beach.
During Operation Desert Storm. I served aboard the USS NASSAU LHA-4, Which looked nearly identical to the USS AMERICA in this story.

Today's uninformed Press, the same people who call most all navy ships BATTLESHIPS, have little knowledge about what they report. So they call the newest USS AMERICA a flattop.

Gunny
10-14-2014, 08:25 PM
It is not a FLAT TOP per se, as the rest of our aircraft carriers are rightfully called.

The USS AMERICA is an Amphibious ship with a a well deck. Just a newer version of what was the LHA. Used to transport Marines, their equipment, and provide Assault craft capabilities like LCAC's and other amphibious boats. And, the FLIGHT DECK (flat top) is primarily for Helocopters, and Ospray aircraft also used to carry Marines to the beach.
During Operation Desert Storm. I served aboard the USS NASSAU LHA-4, Which looked nearly identical to the USS AMERICA in this story.

Today's uninformed Press, the same people who call most all navy ships BATTLESHIPS, have little knowledge about what they report. So they call the newest USS AMERICA a flattop.

It is still a "flat-top". What was originally called a "jeep carrier" in WWII.

And no, it can launch and recover aircraft, not just helo's. The planes take off horizontally and land vertically. That's why planes with both capabilities are required. The F-35 has vertical landing capability, correct?

You are correct that they aren't full-size Naval aircraft carriers. We have full size Naval aircraft carriers to fulfill that role. They are nonetheless flat-tops, and aircraft carriers. Nothing less. 33 times around that non-skid flat top will get you your 3 miles, and you have to do it before flight ops begin.

I'm curious as to why they went back to the LHA designator. I was on the Peleilu, which was an LHA and it was CRAP. I was on the USS Tarawa LHA-1 during Desert Storm. Was a piece of crap.

The last one I was on was the USS Boxer which was an LHD (LHD-4). I just thought they always progressed through the alphabet.