PDA

View Full Version : The Bible

06-22-2007, 08:53 PM
just curious. how many of you have read it through completely? More than once? regularly?

Guernicaa
06-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I've read parts of it.

I was in religious education (Catholic) from 1st to 10th grade.

06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I've read parts of it.

I was in religious education (Catholic) from 1st to 10th grade.

Do you find it at all silly to continually criticize something you havent even read through?

Guernicaa
06-22-2007, 09:40 PM
No, Because I was instructed on the main beliefs and ideas that Christians have taken directly from the bible...so I deff. got all the important stuff (NO HOMO..NO ABORTION..NO SEX)...You know...All the bull shit.

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 10:53 PM
just curious. how many of you have read it through completely? More than once? regularly?

Ive read it completly and some of it is the greatest work of fiction I have ever read.

darin
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I read the parts I care about. :D

nevadamedic
06-23-2007, 12:14 AM
I think several parts are innacurate.

darin
06-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I think several parts are innacurate.

Are you a christian?

nevadamedic
06-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Are you a christian?

Yup, but it doesn't mean I believe everything the bible says.

Pale Rider
06-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Yup, but it doesn't mean I believe everything the bible says.

That's blastphemous.

Pale Rider
06-23-2007, 03:32 AM
I've read it cover to cover, and still read parts of it often.

5stringJeff
06-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Multiple times.

Lightning Waltz
06-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Do you find it at all silly to continually criticize something you havent even read through?

Do you find it at all silly to continually criticize (Evolution, Global Warming, Islam, the faith of the Great Spaghetti Monster and his noodley goodness, etc, etc, etc) without reading every scrap of paper that believers in those ideas have put out?

Or, after reading some of the assumptions made by those beliefs, have you found them discredited to the point where reading every idea put out by those beliefs wouldn't be necessary?

Lightning Waltz
06-24-2007, 01:52 PM
BTW, I read it. Some parts probably aren't fit for children (at least R-rated), some parts are interesting, some parts are inspiring, some parts are laughable, some parts are just plain boring.

JohnDoe
06-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I have read it through, the new testament, my favorite parts have been read in excess of perhaps 30 times or more.

I try to read the Bible every day, I actually enjoy it. Especially the 4 gospels, I believe what Jesus taught the crowds through his parables, was and is very insightful even in today's world and even if you are not a ''Believer in Him'', imo.

It's too bad most of us Christians don't pay a little more attention to what He has taught and what He has said. :(

glockmail
06-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Can't say I've read it straight through. Even with all the edumacation and self reading, I'm sure I've missed a few parts.

-Cp
06-24-2007, 05:09 PM
BTW, I read it. Some parts probably aren't fit for children (at least R-rated), some parts are interesting, some parts are inspiring, some parts are laughable, some parts are just plain boring.

So.. which parts are:

1. R-Rated
2. Interesting
3. inspiring
4. laughable
6. boring

??

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
That's blastphemous.

That's what the church wants you to believe.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Modern science has come up with schentific explinations for a lot of things that happened like the plagues. Also there were gospels found in the 40's in Egypt that cast doubt on a lot of gospels that were included in the bible.

Gunny
06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Modern science has come up with schentific explinations for a lot of things that happened like the plagues. Also there were gospels found in the 40's in Egypt that cast doubt on a lot of gospels that were included in the bible.

I don't see how you can claim to be Christian; yet, not believe the Bible, since the Bible is the source of Christianity.

Abbey Marie
06-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Ive read it completly and some of it is the greatest work of fiction I have ever read.

Do you believe in the crucifixion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and his atonement for our sins? If not, you simply cannot be a Christian.

If you do believe all of that. but think parts of the Bible are fictional, how do you know which ones to pick and choose as fake, and which ones are real?

Finally, if you think the O.T. stories are fiction, how do you explain the fact that Christ's coming was foretold in so many instances in the O.T.? How do you explain how Jesus himself referenced the Old Testament as fortelling things so many times?

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Do you believe in the crucifixion, death and resurrection of Jesus Chrost, and his atonement for our sins? If not, you simply cannot be a Christian.

If you so believe all of that. but think parts of the Bible are fictional, how do you know which ones to pick and choose as fake, and which ones are real?

Finally, if you think the O.T. stories are fiction, how do you explain the fact that Christ's coming was foretold in so many instances in the O.T.? How do you explain how Jesus himself referenced the Old Testament as fortelling things so many times?

My beliefs are my beliefs and they are personal, but I will go as far as saying to me all's you have to do is believe in God and Heaven, you dont have to believe competly the stories in the bible to be a certain religion. There were a lot of gospels that were left out of the bible.

5stringJeff
06-24-2007, 09:16 PM
There were a lot of gospels that were left out of the bible.

There's a reason they were left out. Specifically, they were not written by apostles (i.e. eyewitnesses to Christ's death and resurrection), and most of them are contradictory to the Gospels written by the apostles.

No1tovote4
06-24-2007, 10:16 PM
There's a reason they were left out. Specifically, they were not written by apostles (i.e. eyewitnesses to Christ's death and resurrection), and most of them are contradictory to the Gospels written by the apostles.

Of the four gospels, only one is attributed to the actual apostle. The others were written later by others who interviewed the actual eyewitness.

Abbey Marie
06-24-2007, 10:23 PM
My beliefs are my beliefs and they are personal, but I will go as far as saying to me all's you have to do is believe in God and Heaven, you dont have to believe competly the stories in the bible to be a certain religion. There were a lot of gospels that were left out of the bible.

Okay, but you put your beliefs into play by stating the Bible was a work of fiction. If you make comments like that, you must expect to have them questioned. I do hope if you consider yourself a Christian, that you will think about the questions I asked. In private, of course. :)