PDA

View Full Version : The 10 biggest mistakes used-car shoppers make

Shadow
10-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Bought one of my daughters a new car and after reading this article I think I did pretty good. Paid for it outright instead of financing. Got all of the past mechanical history. Took care of the tax,title and license myself etc...

interesting article.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************

Most used-car shoppers buy with their eyes.

The right color. The right options. The right brand. ​The overwhelming majority of buyers have been immersed in an ocean of new-car advertising that make a car's looks seem like the most important ingredient in the recipe.

So what do most do in the end? They try to find the best looking car at the lowest price, and it doesn't matter if the car comes from a dealership or a driveway.
As a car dealer for 15 years and an auto auctioneer for hundreds of public auctions, I can tell you that most people inexplicably fall in love with a pretty car and truck for all the wrong reasons. They make up their mind before knowing all the facts — even when their future transportation needs are dependent on a vehicle with hundreds of possible faults and tens of thousands of parts. The act of spending $100 and a few hours to become familiar with a car's true history seem to be too much trouble.

What are the worst errors when it comes to buying a used car? Let me give you the short version of a long list. Better yet, let me help you overcome them.

List at link

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/the-10-biggest-mistakes-used-car-shoppers-make-183454178.html

fj1200
10-16-2014, 07:46 AM
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/the-10-biggest-mistakes-used-car-shoppers-make-183454178.html

Number 1 was unexpected.

1. Not investing in the car they already own

A good detail. A new set of quality tires. Even little things that add a lot of value to the driving experience such as replacing the struts, or upgrading to the stereo system, can make many 15 year old cars drive and look like a near-new one.

For what usually amounts to $1,000 to $2,000, most car shoppers can invest in a perfectly good car that will last them another five years.

A lot of consumers also don't realize that new safety technology and conveniences, such as backup cameras and Bluetooth devices, can be had for far less than they cost when bolted into a used car.

So you want a good used car? Start with the one you already own. If you want to be a long-term owner instead of a perpetual debtor, that used car on your driveway will, more times than not, be the one worth keeping.

Shadow
10-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Number 1 was unexpected.
One of the reasons when I bought my new car I didn't trade in my old one but gave it to daughter number 1. I had just replaced brake pads,tires and the battery. Seemed silly to buy them both a used car when I had one sitting in the driveway that I had already invested in.

Shadow
10-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Found this and decided to post it here...

10 tips for new car shoppers

https://autos.yahoo.com/photos/100-tips-for-new-car-shoppers-slideshow/