PDA

View Full Version : Glen Campbell releases powerful final song and video

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-15-2014, 10:29 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/showbiz/glen-campbell-final-song/index.html

Glen Campbell releases powerful final song and video

By Ed Payne, CNN

updated 9:54 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014

CNN) -- Even if you've never been a fan of Glen Campbell, this one's certain to tug at your heartstrings.

The Country Music Hall of Fame member, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2011, is out with the video for the final song he'll ever record -- "I'm Not Gonna Miss You." It was recorded in 2013 with producer Julian Raymond.

"I'm still here but yet I'm gone/ I don't play guitar or sing my songs," the tune begins as it details his struggles with the disease.

The poignant music video that accompanies it spans Campbell's career. It contrasts Campbell singing in the studio with home video and clips from throughout his career. There are even images of doctors discussing his brain scans with him.

Because of the progression of the disease, the 78-year-old Campbell

was admitted to a special care facility in Nashville in April.

In 2012: Glenn Campbell talks about Grammys, living with Alzheimers

"Sadly, Glen's condition has progressed enough that we were no longer able to keep him at home," Campbell's family said in a statement to Rolling Stone. "He is getting fantastic care and we get to see him every day. Our family wants to thank everyone for their continued prayers, love and support."

Campbell, who was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2005 and is best known for his hits like "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Wichita Lineman," took his Alzheimer's in stride.

Campbell's daughter shares his struggle

"I just take it as it comes, you know," Campbell said in a CNN interview in February 2012. "I know that I have a problem with that (forgetfulness), but it doesn't bother me. If you're going to have it handed to you, you have got to take it, anyway. So that is the way I look at it."

In a career that spans five decades, he released his final album "Ghost on Canvas" in 2011 and then went on a farewell tour.

Heartbreaking the way he is going out. Not able to even know his family his last few years..
His last song is very good but not as great as was Johnny Cash last song -HURT.
I REMEMBER EACH HAD THEIR OWN TELEVISION SHOW AND THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLE DAYS TO ME AS A TEENAGER.
Cash and Campbell , both from Arkansas and both made a helluva mark on the country music scene..
Of course Cash rates much, much higher with me but Glen was a fantastically talented musician , song writer and singer. Both men also had acting roles too. -Tyr

aboutime
10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
WOW! Just WOW! Thanks Tyr. He was one of our favorites back in the seventies too!

Sad is the reminder for all of us. How important making the most of every day we have, surrounded by those we tell How much we Love them.

People tend to laugh at we older folks. Until the day THEY realize. That might be them someday too!

This reminded me of Ronald Reagan's reply to a reporter who asked him: "Have you noticed any difference in your life since learning about your sickness?" (Altzheimers)

And his response was: "It's not bad. I make New Friends everyday!"

Make every new day your best new day. They really are....all numbered. And what makes me angry is. "I won't know it!"

DLT
10-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Heartbreaking the way he is going out. Not able to even know his family his last few years..
His last song is very good but not as great as was Johnny Cash last song -HURT.
I REMEMBER EACH HAD THEIR OWN TELEVISION SHOW AND THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLE DAYS TO ME AS A TEENAGER.
Cash and Campbell , both from Arkansas and both made a helluva mark on the country music scene..
Of course Cash rates much, much higher with me but Glen was a fantastically talented musician , song writer and singer. Both men also had acting roles too. -Tyr

I like his music. Especially Wichita Lineman and Galveston. Sad.

Jeff
10-17-2014, 06:09 AM
I loved them both !!

This Alzheimer's is a terrible disease , my wife is a administrator at a nursing home that specializes in Alzheimer's , it is a locked facility because if not these folks will wander off and be lost. I take her to work once in a while and it is so sad, they have one woman down there that all day she talks and then laughs hysterically, I told the ol lady how sad and she said no not at all, ya can't take this disease away so this woman is truly blessed to be stuck in a point of her life that makes her happy, man it breaks my heart to go by that place.

aboutime
10-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I loved them both !!

This Alzheimer's is a terrible disease , my wife is a administrator at a nursing home that specializes in Alzheimer's , it is a locked facility because if not these folks will wander off and be lost. I take her to work once in a while and it is so sad, they have one woman down there that all day she talks and then laughs hysterically, I told the ol lady how sad and she said no not at all, ya can't take this disease away so this woman is truly blessed to be stuck in a point of her life that makes her happy, man it breaks my heart to go by that place.

Jeff. I know it will be hard for many to accept. But this topic constantly reminds me of some words WE ALL SHOULD RESPECT.

As in: "There, but for the grace of God...Go I".

None of us know what life may end up being for any of us in the future. But I honestly fear this disease...even more than the thought of dying.

Thanks for sharing your own personal experience here. More of us need to be awakened to such a reality.