PDA

View Full Version : Care to buy a tree?

jimnyc
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Had a little storm last night and our tree didn't survive. There's a big circle in the yard, with Azaleas encircling things, and we HAD a Dogwood tree coming up in the center. The bottom is circled by vines which probably choked the poor bastard to death, as it's been dying for years, and the storm delivered the last and fatal blow. Now how do I get this effing thing out of here? I don't own a chainsaw and I sure as shit ain't using my 12" mini hacksaw to do it! I'll have to get someone to chop it up for us, see if maybe we can get some firewood out of it at least. The sucker landed about one foot from our front stairs. Not a huge tree, but still kinda scary, and weird, when you wake up to this!

http://i.imgur.com/GND4yDY.jpg

Gaffer
10-16-2014, 09:49 AM
No friends or neighbors with a chain saw you can borrow? As for firewood, there's not much there. You would be lucky to get a cord out of that. At least it missed the porch.

Maybe you could post the picture on Craig's List and say bring a chain saw and take it away.

jimnyc
10-16-2014, 10:12 AM
No friends or neighbors with a chain saw you can borrow? As for firewood, there's not much there. You would be lucky to get a cord out of that. At least it missed the porch.

Maybe you could post the picture on Craig's List and say bring a chain saw and take it away.

It would be more of a pain in the ass to get rid off than you think, if I were to borrow a saw. This city would probably fine me for leaving it by the road instead of picking it up. I would likely have to put it all in the back of my truck and hauled to the local dump, or some legal alternative. My experience with my local township is to just avoid them, don't even look into it. A friend of mine is the maintenance manager for the apartment complex around the corner. He can swing by with a few of his guys and saw it up and put it into a small machine (chipper?) and be gone with it. Tip them well and it's history.

I wouldn't burn that crap anyway. I get wood from the nursery down the road. The past few years, any other wood seems to smell funny to me, and seems to linger in my house. But the wood from the nursery, has a nice smell when it burns.

tailfins
10-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Had a little storm last night and our tree didn't survive. There's a big circle in the yard, with Azaleas encircling things, and we HAD a Dogwood tree coming up in the center. The bottom is circled by vines which probably choked the poor bastard to death, as it's been dying for years, and the storm delivered the last and fatal blow. Now how do I get this effing thing out of here? I don't own a chainsaw and I sure as shit ain't using my 12" mini hacksaw to do it! I'll have to get someone to chop it up for us, see if maybe we can get some firewood out of it at least. The sucker landed about one foot from our front stairs. Not a huge tree, but still kinda scary, and weird, when you wake up to this!

Now we see why these are called "Widow Makers".

Jeff
10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Pull the chain saw out of the garage and cut it up, then split it let it dry and burn it later this winter.

gabosaurus
10-16-2014, 12:16 PM
I only hug trees. I don't buy them. :cool:

Jeff
10-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Tree Hugger :laugh:

gabosaurus
10-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Tree Hugger :laugh:

We liberals love hugging trees.

Jeff
10-16-2014, 12:25 PM
We liberals love hugging trees.

:lol::laugh::lol:

PixieStix
10-17-2014, 07:07 PM

:lmao:
That was pretty funny Gabby

tailfins
10-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Does she stop at only hugging?

aboutime
10-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Good kindling might last about an hour or so. My grandfather had a huge Oak fall across his front porch back in the 80's. They measured the stump, and it was almost 4 feet across. That made so much firewood back then. I think it lasted a couple of Winter's. Glad nobody was hurt with your tiny bush. No damage is always good.

LongTermGuy
10-17-2014, 08:46 PM

`Same scenario....I used a Tree service...fast enough and efficient...the extra wood was put in a chipper...and dumped in the back for my use...`