View Full Version : Do Dogs Fart or Do They Just Take the Blame?

Pernicious
10-16-2014, 08:54 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6648&stc=1

The dog did it.
And it's time to break out the gas masks (http://skimlinks.pgpartner.com/mrdr.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fskimlinks.pgpartner.com% 2Fsearch.php%2Fform_keyword%3Dgas%2Bmasks). Walter the Farting Dog may be the most famous dog with flatus (that's the fancy word for fart) but he's far from the only one. But why do some dogs seem to emit more poisonous gas than others?
To answer this you have to understand the science of farting (fartology?). Amazingly, researchers at Waltham designed a dog fart collection suit (they called it something else, maybe Flatulence Aroma Retention Togs, which I will abbreviate as F.A.R.T.), complete with a sulfur-detecting pump attached to the area near the dog’s anus. That's your first clue about the ingredients of gas. Sulfur gases, especially hydrogen sulfide, make us want to pinch our noses and start looking for a dog to blame. Even if there's no dog about. And sulfur-rich foods (like broccoli and cauliflower) just egg it along.
http://www.dogchannel.com/why-dogs/why-do-dogs-fart.aspx

PixieStix
10-16-2014, 09:32 PM
I would take my Link to get groomed and the groomer would ask me if I wanted her to put her finger in his anus and push and it would release gas.

She charged me 2 bucks for that.

Seemed like I got a great deal for 2 bucks :laugh:

I think they let off a lot of gas if someone doesn't do that. I forget what she called it

gabosaurus
10-16-2014, 10:17 PM
http://youtu.be/k5hpfadXdk8

SassyLady
10-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Yes ... dogs do fart .... and the stinkiness of the smell has to do with what they've been eating. I didn't have to do a scientific study to know this .... I have dogs.

My dog is 11 and for the first 10.5 years of his life he had dry dog food and never had gas. Then he got his teeth cleaned, a few pulled and got really sick. We had to give him soft dog food and things around here have not been the same. Wish they had dog "beano".

He's just now getting weaned back to the dry stuff and the gas is not as often, but is still pretty rank.

Jeff
10-17-2014, 05:45 AM
My Bully has a rotten ass :laugh: I would pay someone 20 bucks to shove a finger in her butt and relieve some of her gas, and she always wants to do it when company is over, My God it brings tears to your eyes and she just lays there and scans the room with her eyes like hell they wont even know I did it :laugh:

SassyLady
10-18-2014, 02:44 AM
I have a mini schnauzer that gets groomed about every six weeks, or so, and one of the things they do is express the anal glands. I think this is what everyone is referencing.

Pernicious
10-18-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a mini schnauzer that gets groomed about every six weeks, or so, and one of the things they do is express the anal glands. I think this is what everyone is referencing.

My neighbor found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the chemist and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the chemist and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week." :laugh:

Gaffer
10-18-2014, 09:33 AM
A prostate exam for dogs. :rolleyes:

Gunny
10-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Hmmm ... I figured about the time you got past 7 or 8 you kind of out-grew making constant commentary on the excretory functions of any and all living organisms.

NightTrain
10-18-2014, 11:24 AM
One of the worst smells in the world is being downwind from 12 Malamutes after they've feasted on a Moose carcass. We would shoot a moose and then after we took all our meat off it we'd drag the carcass into the middle of the dog yard so they'd be able to self-serve.

I remember stepping out of the cabin one morning as a kid and almost being bowled over by the smell... it was like walking into a wall. I looked up to the Malamutes and they were all looking down at the ground sheepishly... yeah, they knew they were rotten.

They'd driven themselves out of their doghouses and even they couldn't stand themselves.

Mushing them after a moose feast was an eye-watering experience, too. It was kinda like this :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lroZLN1gQnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunny
10-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Wow. A thread discussing dog farts and people are participating as if it's a legit discussion.

Just fucking wow.

SassyLady
10-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Wow. A thread discussing dog farts and people are participating as if it's a legit discussion.

Just fucking wow.

Wow, Gunny!!! It's very legit. I take my dog to work because it's a very dog friendly place. However, the other day my boss said I needed to change Rocky's diet or he couldn't come to our meetings anymore. His gas could cost me brownie points with the boss. Don't you know anything?

:doofus:

Plus, it's not as depressing as talking about all the drama in the world right now.

Jeff
10-19-2014, 05:59 AM

Just fucking wow.

Bro it is just one of those fun lighthearted threads that you use to enjoy.

jimnyc
10-19-2014, 07:18 AM
I dare any of you to own a 25lb Pug who eats anything, including the cat treats in the litter box, or hell, worse, his OWN treats!!! I don't know what's worse, his farts or his breath.

http://i.imgur.com/szjbKKd.jpg