PDA

View Full Version : Despite wounds, Medal of Honor recipient killed up to 175 enemies, saved comrades

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-23-2014, 07:47 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/15/us/adkins-medal-of-honor/

Despite wounds, Medal of Honor recipient killed up to 175 enemies, saved comrades

By Brad Lendon, CNN

updated 3:06 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014

(CNN) -- As many as 175 enemy troops killed, 18 wounds from enemy fire, 38 hours of battle, 48 hours evading the North Vietnamese troops in the bush -- and one tiger. Those are the numbers behind Sgt. Maj. Bennie Adkins' Medal of Honor, an award he received from President Barack Obama in a White House ceremony Monday.

Adkins of Opelika, Alabama, was honored for his actions in Vietnam's A Shau Valley more than 48 years ago. Then a 32-year-old sergeant first class, Adkins was among a handful of Americans working with troops of the South Vietnamese Civilian Irregular Defense Group at Camp A Shau when the camp was attacked by a large North Vietnamese and Viet Cong force on March 9, 1966, according to an Army report.

"Adkins rushed through intense enemy fire and manned a mortar position defending the camp," the Army report says. "He continued to mount a defense even while incurring wounds from several direct hits from enemy mortars. Upon learning that several soldiers were wounded near the center of camp, he temporarily turned the mortar over to another soldier, ran through exploding mortar rounds and dragged several comrades to safety. As the hostile fire subsided, Adkins exposed himself to sporadic sniper fire and carried his wounded comrades to a more secure position."

Later, under enemy fire, some of it coming from South Vietnamese allies who had defected to the North during the battle, Adkins took wounded troops to an airstrip outside the camp for evacuation and drew enemy fire away from the evacuation aircraft. He went outside the camp again to retrieve supplies from an airdrop that fell into a minefield. And that was just day one.

-------------------------

Helicopters rescued Adkins and the rest of his group on March 12.

The Army says Adkins killed 135 to 175 enemy soldiers during the Camp A Shau battle. He suffered 18 wounds during the 86-hour ordeal.

Forty-eight years later, Adkins doesn't cite those numbers but two others.

"I'm just a keeper of the medal for those other 16 (U.S. troops) who were in the battle, especially the five who didn't make it," he told Army News Service.

"I can tell you every man who was there and the five who lost their lives. I can tell you how that happened. It diminishes, but it does not go away," Adkins said.

And he remembers the South Vietnamese who stuck by his side.

"There were about 410 indigenous Civilian Irregular Defense Group soldiers there with us, and of those, only about 122 survived, and most of those were wounded. It was a horrible, horrible battle. There was valor on all sides, not only from the Americans, but from the CIDG soldiers also," he's quoted as saying in an Army report.

Our military has always had guys like this. Main reason the world fears our military so damn much..-Tyr

red state
10-23-2014, 08:45 AM
COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR BENNIE G. ADKINS
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 5px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: gray; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(105, 103, 97);">HOMETOWN</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Opelika, Alabama</dd></dl>
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 5px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: gray; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(105, 103, 97);">BORN</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">February 1934</dd></dl>
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 5px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: gray; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(105, 103, 97);">ENLISTMENT DATE</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">December 1956</dd></dl>
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 5px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: gray; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(105, 103, 97);">UNIT</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Detachment A-102, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces</dd></dl>
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 5px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: gray; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(105, 103, 97);">MILITARY OCCUPATION (MOS)</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">11F - Infantry Operations and Intelligence Sergeant</dd></dl>
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 5px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: gray; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(105, 103, 97);">TOUR OF DUTY</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Republic of Vietnam, 1963, 1965 – 1966, and 1971</dd></dl>

My grandfather "PA" was such a man joined up, became a Sgt. Maj. and kicked the Jap's @$$ during WWII. They lost their LT so he was THE MAN in the jungle for much longer than any of them cared to be. Their clothes literally rotted off of them and it looked as though the enemy had finally bogged them down well and even taking their own supplies at one time. They jumped from island to island after lines were again established and the pushed the Japs all the way back (till the BIG ONE was dropped) to end the whole mess. There wasn't many of them left to celebrate and he was among them. Near the end, he took a mortar to the back (but not before pushing 3 of his own to cover. He carried that hunk of metal till the year he was murdered (1996). As a Southerner, he never missed a lick of work, was a farmer, logger and extremely involved outdoorsman. Taught me to build a bow and enjoy the better things.

I can think of another great man more in line with Sgt. Maj. Bennie Adkins.......only he was not an Oklahoman. This was the legendary YORK of Tennessee. Both this legend. my grandfather and a friend of mine (Mississippian but relocated to TX) shared a similar youth.......a wild bunch. My friend in TX was within Airborne Special Forces during Vietnam before going to intelligence. They simply knew that he was best fit for the job because of how mean and wild he was. HA!!! When you're smart, mean as a junk yard dog and have had quite a life before 20, you usually make a great candidate for just about anything overly demanding. My grandfather was one of the FIRST to have an early model Ford (at 15). He left home after words with his father and had been on his own since 13!!! Both York, my friend in intelligence and my grandfather were Southern (as many of the GREATS of our military are) and both KNEW how to shoot since their youth. Growing up wild, one must KNOW how to shoot to protect ones family and bring meet to the table. They didn't have much "law" back then and it seems that everyone was more "respectful" to one another because everyone owned guns and knew how to use them (and usually would use them when the occasion arrived). The Japs knew this, which is why the Jap General warned their 'god' over and over about the disaster of invading the land of guns.

Thanks, Tyr, for that story. It is always good to start the day with REAL heroes.....instead of B.O. and the news of gangbangers doing this or that last night in Memphis and other liberal cesspools. I'm just glad that none of the men mentioned had to see what WE have allowed after THEY gave so much. Sorry for repeating myself in mentioning my grandfather but there are many new members now who may not have read this and I'm very proud of him and the Army he served.

GO ARMY!!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Common knowledge that guns, bibles and the South are know to be greatly interlocked.
Your grandfather was a true hero my friend.
Our military has always made good use of those that excel at shooting.
The soldier this thread is about was such a man, the kind that do or die trying!
United States military is being weakened by Obama as fast as he can do it..
However right now he will use it to further his agenda..--Tyr

red state
10-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Yes, B.O. hates the US, us and particularly the SOUTH (which WILL be the last stand for America if/when the $#!T hits the fan). I believe he has or intends to ship a bunch of OUR National Guard from Atlanta and other Southern States to the Ebola situation. Do you mean that 3,000 regulars weren't enough. My wife asked a good question: "Are WE going to have any protection if he sends everyone over there?" Well, it really wasn't a question as much as it was sarcasm but she is SPOT ON. We, if done properly, have enough to send 'overthere' and should NEVER send our National Guard or Coast Guard ANYWHERE but RIGHT here. Is that now what the name implies? Anyway, below is what I got when clicking the 'rep' button.

*You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tyr-Ziu Saxnot again.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes, B.O. hates the US, us and particularly the SOUTH (which WILL be the last stand for America if/when the $#!T hits the fan). I believe he has or intends to ship a bunch of OUR National Guard from Atlanta and other Southern States to the Ebola situation. Do you mean that 3,000 regulars weren't enough. My wife asked a good question: "Are WE going to have any protection if he sends everyone over there?" Well, it really wasn't a question as much as it was sarcasm but she is SPOT ON. We, if done properly, have enough to send 'overthere' and should NEVER send our National Guard or Coast Guard ANYWHERE but RIGHT here. Is that now what the name implies? Anyway, below is what I got when clicking the 'rep' button.

*You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tyr-Ziu Saxnot again.

It can not be stated often enough, Obama tirelessly works in this nation's worst interests..
One good look at his policies to date reveal that to any person not blind IMHO.
And that when it is seen is often played off to be mere incompetence..... TYR