PDA

View Full Version : Canadian killer was recent convert to Islam identified as terror risk

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-23-2014, 10:09 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/11181394/Soldier-killed-as-gunman-brings-terror-to-Canadian-Parliament.html

Canadian killer was recent convert to Islam identified as terror risk

By Philip Sherwell, New York

10:11AM BST 23 Oct 2014

Terror came to the heart of the Canadian capital Ottawa on Wednesday as a suspected jihadist gunman shot dead a soldier at the national war memorial and then rampaged through the halls of the federal parliament.

The attacker, who was killed in a gun battle inside parliament, was named as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian-born 32-year-old.

He was a recent convert to Islam from Quebec with a history of drug abuse and whose passport had been seized by authorities after he was designated a "high-risk traveller", Canadian media reported.

The centre of Ottawa was paralysed as heavily armed police fanned out in search of at least one other suspected gunman following what appeared to have been an jiahdist terrorist attack on the heart of the country's government.

Canada was already on edge after a radical Muslim convert killed a soldier and injured a second on Monday in a deliberate hit-and-run car attack in Quebec before being shot to death by police.

The similarity in the reported backgrounds of the two killers has raised fears that "lone-wolf" extremists - possibly a cell of radical converts in Quebec - are targeting Canadian military personnel in retaliation for the government's support of US-led air strikes in Iraq and Syria.

Zehaf-Bibeaus' victim was identified as Cpl Nathan Cirillo, 24, a reserve infantryman and young father who was part of a two-man honour guard carrying an unloaded rifle at the war memorial.

In a chilling detail, a witness described how the gunman earlier raised his arms in a display of triumph, a rifle in the air, after shooting Cpl Cirillo at point blank rage in front of the cenotaph. The location for the start of his rampage appeared horrifically symbolic as it honours the country's war dead

Just more peaceful acts by those so peaceful muslims..
Why do recent white/western or infidel converts choose to murder?
Because it proves the new faith, since jihad(murder of non-muslims) is the core command. --Tyr

tailfins
10-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Just more peaceful acts by those so peaceful muslims..
Why do recent white/western or infidel converts choose to murder?
Because it proves the new faith, since jihad(murder of non-muslims) is the core command. --Tyr

There's a fine line between extra scrutiny based on a profile and religious persecution and guilt by association. We would be wise not to cross that line.

Drummond
10-23-2014, 10:50 AM
There's a fine line between extra scrutiny based on a profile and religious persecution and guilt by association. We would be wise not to cross that line.

I'm also discovering that there's a remarkably fine line between recognising reality and adopting the pose of an ostrich.

... I mean ... just how many of these occurrences have to happen, before people finally start comprehending the obvious ?

Islam has had a history of causing savagery in its name over the centuries, from its creation to the present day. It continues unabated. Yet, STILL, people make excuses. People run away from what's staring them in the face. And all the while, more and more are recruited, to ... what ? What we are continually assured is a 'fringe aberration' .. ??

For how much longer can the INcredible be accepted as inviolable fact, in contravention of all common sense ??

tailfins
10-23-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm also discovering that there's a remarkably fine line between recognising reality and adopting the pose of an ostrich.

... I mean ... just how many of these occurrences have to happen, before people finally start comprehending the obvious ?

Islam has had a history of causing savagery in its name over the centuries, from its creation to the present day. It continues unabated. Yet, STILL, people make excuses. People run away from what's staring them in the face. And all the while, more and more are recruited, to ... what ? What we are continually assured is a 'fringe aberration' .. ??

For how much longer can the INcredible be accepted as inviolable fact, in contravention of all common sense ??

It's obvious that the RCMP should have taken more aggressive action against someone already found unfit to have a passport. Prejudice is the lazy man's way out. It requires less action.

NightTrain
10-23-2014, 12:04 PM
The Canadians already knew this guy was a radical muzzie. It would seem their profiling worked nicely, they just failed on the next logical step.

They failed to grab him prior to him doing this bit of barbarism, and that's a shame. They need to be more aggressive in keeping track of identified radicals within their country.

And wtf is with the now-deceased soldier carrying around his unloaded rifle? What good did that do? Soldiers should have ammo in a weapon they're carrying, honor detail or not.

jimnyc
10-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Canada's PM says shooting rampage was terrorism

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — A masked gunman killed a soldier standing guard at Canada's war memorial Wednesday, then stormed Parliament in an attack that was stopped cold when he was shot to death by the ceremonial sergeant-at-arms. Canada's prime minister called it the country's second terrorist attack in three days.

"We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated," Prime Minister Stephen Harper vowed in an address to the nation.

Unfolding just before 10 a.m., while lawmakers were meeting in caucus rooms, the assault rocked Parliament over and over with the boom of gunfire, led MPs to barricade doors with chairs and sent people streaming from the building in fear. Harper was addressing a caucus when the attack began outside the door, but he safely escaped.

Investigators offered little information about the gunman, identified as 32-year-old petty criminal Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. But Harper said: "In the days to come we will learn about the terrorist and any accomplices he may have had."

A government official told AP that Zehaf-Bibeau was a recent convert to Islam. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shot-war-memorial-ottawa-142335480.html

Drummond
10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
It's obvious that the RCMP should have taken more aggressive action against someone already found unfit to have a passport. Prejudice is the lazy man's way out. It requires less action.

What you call prejudice (and I reject the suggestion that it is), I call alertness and awareness. The less of a conscious awareness there is to a problem having considerable magnitude -- the less the perceived need to tackle it in a proper and proportionate way.

tailfins
10-23-2014, 04:04 PM
What you call prejudice (and I reject the suggestion that it is), I call alertness and awareness. The less of a conscious awareness there is to a problem having considerable magnitude -- the less the perceived need to tackle it in a proper and proportionate way.

Chest thumping != competence.

Said1
10-23-2014, 04:45 PM
That was less than a mile from my house, scary shite.

tailfins
10-23-2014, 05:55 PM
That was less than a mile from my house, scary shite.

I hope the government reaction to this doesn't adversely affect your quality of life.

red state
10-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Spot on, Drummond! Your analysis of the "ostrich effect" couldn't explain those on the wrong side of this story any better and NT topped it off by re-introducing the FACTS that they had effectively and appropriately profiled this muSLUM varmint of a cult of vermin led by evil, insane vipers.

Drummond
10-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Chest thumping != competence.

Is sleepwalking to the next disaster (and the next, and the next, and so on ..) preferable to you ?

What strategist worth a damn would advocate NOT fully comprehending the nature of your enemy ??

NightTrain
10-24-2014, 10:49 AM

I just wanted to say that this line really cracked me up! :laugh:

tailfins
10-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Is sleepwalking to the next disaster (and the next, and the next, and so on ..) preferable to you ?

What strategist worth a damn would advocate NOT fully comprehending the nature of your enemy ??

I'm no Military Scientist; I don't play one on TV; I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I find it amazing how some people think they are smarter than a nation's entire military and intelligence combined. If you want talk about the President being a traitor, that's one thing. If you want to claim to be a tactical genius on how to gain victory on this type of enemy, show me your credentials.