PDA

View Full Version : Frank Serpico- The Police Are Still Out of Control

revelarts
10-27-2014, 10:04 AM
The Police Are Still Out of Control - Frank Serpico - POLITICO Magazine (http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160.html?ml=m_po)
long article, worth reading

Paints a picture of the police that few, especially on the right, like to admit.

Are there Great cops and some generally outstanding police forces in some cities , of course.
But what Serpico describes here sadly seems to be the norm in many places. And in some form, at least part of, U.S. police forces across the board.

...Police make up a peculiar subculture in society. More often than not they have their own moral code of behavior, an “us against them” attitude, enforced by a Blue Wall of Silence. It’s their version of the Mafia’s omerta. Speak out, and you’re no longer “one of us.” You’re one of “them.” And as James Fyfe, a nationally recognized expert on the use of force, wrote in his 1993 book about this issue, Above The Law, officers who break the code sometimes won’t be helped in emergency situations, as I wasn’t....

...I still get hate mail from active and retired police officers. A couple of years ago after the death of David Durk — the police officer who was one of my few allies inside the department in my efforts to expose graft — the Internet message board “NYPD Rant” featured some choice messages directed at me. “Join your mentor, Rat scum!” said one. An ex-con recently related to me that a precinct captain had once said to him, “If it wasn’t for that fuckin’ Serpico, I coulda been a millionaire today.” My informer went on to say, “Frank, you don’t seem to understand, they had a well-oiled money making machine going and you came along and threw a handful of sand in the gears.”

...And today the Blue Wall of Silence endures in towns and cities across America. Whistleblowers in police departments — or as I like to call them, “lamp lighters,” after Paul Revere — are still turned into permanent pariahs. The complaint I continue to hear is that when they try to bring injustice to light they are told by government officials: “We can’t afford a scandal; it would undermine public confidence in our police.” That confidence, I dare say, is already seriously undermined....

“We can’t afford a scandal; it would undermine public confidence in our police.”

"public confidence" this is BS wind that whistle blowers cops and outside investigators hit when attempting to point out wrongdoing by police. The FALSE Confidence that the police are somehow NOT corrupt or corruptible on a large or small scale.
People are often Incredulous at accusations of Police wrong doing.
And upset that you bring it to the table.

But I agree with Reagan "trust but verify" .

red state
10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Still, I'm just glad that many of our "peace officers" are just that and come from a military background. On the other hand, I have found that MOST cops are liberal (as is most other groups such as teachers are.....due to their wanting to further their "prosperity").

My nephew is an Iraq vet and moved from Memphis to the Melbourne Police Dept. and he told of how, at least, 50% of the cops he knows would rather do away with the 2nd Amendment. It gets worse in more liberal areas but I'd dare say that Nationally, at least 75% of cops would rather be the only ones carrying a gun *(or being allowed to own one). Again, this depends on the area but one thing is for certain; any UNION or gov. job will have the majority of folks looking only to look after themselves (instead of what is best for America or the citizenry). I'm sure the corruption is based on many factors just as I'm convinced that too many on our policing forces are 'adrenaline junkies' looking for action. I've known too many cops that I'd consider 'good' cops that have that need for speed or confrontation so this is as much a problem, sometimes, as corruption is.

jimnyc
10-27-2014, 11:49 AM
As of 2006 there were about 800,000 law enforcement folks in the US. I assume that number has since risen. That's an awful lot to paint with such a large brush. Of course there are a lot of bad cops, but there are a lot more good than bad. To claim these bad things are the "norm" is plain out incorrect. Does it happen? Absolutely. But the norm? Laughable. And Rev, please don't reply with Youtube videos or long opinion articles, I won't be watching them If you have hard data backing this up, more than happy to read. That would be approximately 500,000 police and how many departments?

red state
10-27-2014, 12:02 PM
I never dwelt on the GOOD vs BAD but tried to stress the types who make up 'law enforcement" and I stand by that out of experience and from talking to cops......including the experience from my nephew. Just saying......don't necessary think you had a problem with my post but wanted to explain myself better.

red state
10-27-2014, 12:12 PM
But YES, it 50% would like to disarm the public (ILLEGALLY as stated in the Constitution), I'd say that is BAD and that (IF) 50% are of that mindset.....they are bad (as I consider such anti-2nd Amendment folks BAD) and are my enemy.......America's enemy. I would like to see MUCH less cops and more support for the 2nd Amendment. I've never needed help from a cop (or would have gotten help) but I've certainly had more tickets than I would have liked (65 in a 55 kind of ticket). And that is with old tires, dead animals and other UNSAFE stuff in the roads and using our roads.

jimnyc
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
But I agree with Reagan "trust but verify" .

Just noticed this at the bottom. With respect, Rev, from your posts over the years, you seem more of the type to distrust government/police/authority unless there's a golden reason to trust them. And I don't have an issue with that, it's your choice, but if some are too be condemned or large numbers lumped in with bad eggs, there should be data to back it up.

red state
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
The SERPICO type corruption is prevalent in New Orleans and if one would like to see or hear about this first hand.....tune in to WGSO 990am New Orleans to hear first hand of the corruption.

revelarts
10-27-2014, 12:43 PM
As of 2006 there were about 800,000 law enforcement folks in the US. I assume that number has since risen. That's an awful lot to paint with such a large brush. Of course there are a lot of bad cops, but there are a lot more good than bad. To claim these bad things are the "norm" is plain out incorrect. Does it happen? Absolutely. But the norm? Laughable. And Rev, please don't reply with Youtube videos or long opinion articles, I won't be watching them If you have hard data backing this up, more than happy to read. That would be approximately 500,000 police and how many departments?

point 1 Serpico said
"...More often than not they have their own moral code of behavior, an “us against them” attitude, enforced by a Blue Wall of Silence...."
"...And today the Blue Wall of Silence endures in towns and cities across America...."

Yes I agree with this. I've had more than 1 cop tell me it's true. and in nearly EVERY case of police accused of wrong doing you can see it happen, small towns and big cities. There are some municipal exceptions but yep I'd say it's the norm.

point 2
you seem to want to paint my positions as "Cops all BAD" in everything they do.
you should know me better than that by now. i even said as much in my 1st post

point 3
Do i think that there's ongoing simmering of less than honest activity in many police depts. across the country?
Where in some form we'd find:
cops on the payroll of drug dealers, depts that have quotas for arrest, depts that have unfair speed traps, depts that condone racist polices and officers, depts that as the norm harass certain groups and areas more than others, Depts that are good ol boys clubs, depts that work for the town's major employer more than the people, , Depts where there's theft of property, a fair amount of police that regularly lie on reports and in courts against defendants in small and large issues.
Depts and cops that ASSUME more authority and rights than they actual have and get pissed with "civilian's" that don't agree,

that in police depts in general a good cop who wanted to report any of the above would face an uphill battle (of various difficulty) against fellow police and city officials to get bad cops jailed, off the force or even seriously disciplined.
because “We can’t afford a scandal; it would undermine public confidence in our police.”

Do I think that, yes i do.

Are most cops doing a decent job in the midst of those types of environments sure.
Will they catch the thief and put him in jail? yep. will they catch some drug dealers? yes. will they give an honest ticket? sure. That's the norm as well, but the other is going on too.

the same cop that saves the young girl from the pit bull and stops the really drunk driver may lie in court about a evidence in another case, because he thinks it's in the service of justice , or it protects another cop.