PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Thing You Can Do in Your Career

tailfins
10-30-2014, 09:03 AM
It says the worst thing you can do is fail to grow.

Stew argues that simply trying to achieve "work/life balance" is not nearly enough. Instead, you have to choose the people who matter to you, and actively seek opportunities for change that you haven’t seen before. This happens, he says, when you shift your frame of reference to thinking about not just what’s good for you, or your career, or your family, or your community. Instead, you need to look at all four together.

He observes, "It’s a paradox: leading the life you want requires striving to help others."

"It’s crystal-clear to me, 30 years down the road, that you can't be successful without continually cultivating the skills that take you further," said Stew.

I also read into it this: Don't waste time trying to please people who don't matter, even if it's a boss. You'll eventually wind up with a boss worth​ caring about. I will add another personal note to this: I'm not an empathetic person. But I know someone who is "stuck" is in a sense broken. I'm the worst person to talk to if you just want to "vent". I challenge someone who is stuck to actually fix the problem and help where I can.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141029171354-36792-the-worst-thing-you-can-do-in-your-career

grannyhawkins
10-30-2014, 05:59 PM
I've gone through a ton of reorganizations in my professional career. The only one that made sense and the only book that was ever used as propaganda for a reorg was

"All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"

“These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows
how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”

― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten