PDA

View Full Version : What's Up; Other Than Bad Internet

Kathianne
10-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Hello, again! Crappy internet continues, don't know if it will stay up long enough to post this, but I'll try.

Been busy working and now getting ready for baby Alison to drag her folks to Sedona the first week in December. We'll have a sort of Thanksgiving and Christmas time. I'm so excited! She's smiling and holding her head up, one forgets how fast they grow!

Second grandbaby, Jack James is due beginning of February, so I'll be heading to IL sometime in March/April, depending on what his mom's family is doing after his birth. I want some time alone with baby and his dad.

I'm happy in AZ for the winter, it's already dropped into high 20's at night in Chicagoland. Here? High 50's-60's at night, still hitting 80's at 2 pm. Yeah, beats the winter of 2013-14 and this one isn't looking better for Chicago.

I do miss the kids, but they are busy and the darling daughter is still heading for London, but not until Jan or June. Really, I don't know, but neither do they. ;)

I'm hoping for more internet info shortly, but seems things work different in AZ, at least Sedona.

I'll get on when I can, but FYI there are times I've been 'thanking' but have been knocked offline. Just consider yourselves 'thanked' 10X each. ;)

NightTrain
10-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Both Jim and I have been troubleshooting your internet woes, chickie!

But with no response from you.... tsk!

Kathianne
10-30-2014, 11:09 PM

What I've been 'told' is that the cable in my abode is missing a layer of copper on the wire. That's it. Needs to be replaced. Was told 'not a problem,' until last guy out. He said they'd have to drill and get approval from 5 other owners. Sigh.

Jeff
10-31-2014, 05:01 AM

That is the problem y'all didn't include me , if so problem would of been fixed :laugh:

Seriously, So happy for you Kat, tonight we hit low 40's here in GA but during the day we are up around 70 or so, heck even in the dead of winter most days reach 50- 55 ( yup you can ride at those temps ) so I am happy.

Looking forward to seeing ya back full time in the mean time get ready for the visit and enjoy each day with the precious Lil ones .

NightTrain
10-31-2014, 08:05 AM
What I've been 'told' is that the cable in my abode is missing a layer of copper on the wire. That's it. Needs to be replaced. Was told 'not a problem,' until last guy out. He said they'd have to drill and get approval from 5 other owners. Sigh.

Okay. You have old Cat3 wiring. You need a run of Cat 5e. I can explain why the old stuff doesn't perform for your internet, but it's not important.

I'm not sure about the '5 other owners' thing, is it a condo? House? Apartment building?

If you are in a house or a duplex, you can fix this problem yourself for $30.

Interested?

fj1200
10-31-2014, 08:10 AM

Strike a deal with a neighbor with a good wifi signal to share? Any wireless options up your way?

Kathianne
11-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Okay. You have old Cat3 wiring. You need a run of Cat 5e. I can explain why the old stuff doesn't perform for your internet, but it's not important.

I'm not sure about the '5 other owners' thing, is it a condo? House? Apartment building?

If you are in a house or a duplex, you can fix this problem yourself for $30.

Interested?

We're in a 'vacation' community. Most of the people are renting for a week or two. My guess is they aren't using wifi much, if at all. Cable works fine, the internet is the problem.

We're the 6th unit from the 'box.'

NightTrain
11-07-2014, 12:12 AM
We're in a 'vacation' community. Most of the people are renting for a week or two. My guess is they aren't using wifi much, if at all. Cable works fine, the internet is the problem.

We're the 6th unit from the 'box.'

Okay, if you're that far then do-it-yourself isn't an option. Too many people in that box to coach you through it.

If you have working cable, you should be able to get internet over it. Call another ISP, preferably the one giving you cable service and tell them you want internet.

If that's the ISP you're dealing with, then call them and say you're going to switch to someone else (keep it vague). Losing a customer should light a fire and kick it up a notch; and if they have a monopoly on that building then they will fast-track fixing you so there isn't service from a competitor at your building. Tell the non-helpful person giving you no help that you need to talk to the "I & R Foreman" (Installation & Repair). This is the guy that can get someone out tomorrow morning.

Another option is satellite internet - it's come a long way and worth looking into. I think both DirecTV and Dish Network both offer it.

Jeff
11-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Okay, if you're that far then do-it-yourself isn't an option. Too many people in that box to coach you through it.

If you have working cable, you should be able to get internet over it. Call another ISP, preferably the one giving you cable service and tell them you want internet.

If that's the ISP you're dealing with, then call them and say you're going to switch to someone else (keep it vague). Losing a customer should light a fire and kick it up a notch; and if they have a monopoly on that building then they will fast-track fixing you so there isn't service from a competitor at your building. Tell the non-helpful person giving you no help that you need to talk to the "I & R Foreman" (Installation & Repair). This is the guy that can get someone out tomorrow morning.

Another option is satellite internet - it's come a long way and worth looking into. I think both DirecTV and Dish Network both offer it.

I use satellite and love it, now Jim comes down and screams it is to slow but it works better than anything else in the area, and um well y'all know how computer savvy I am , so yes it does what I need it to do.

Kathianne
11-07-2014, 01:20 AM

I came home to find they need to send 'someone out' to figure out exactly what needs to be done. D'oh! 12th visit in less than 6 months. Sigh.

I don't know how freaked they'll be about losing my 'internet service' they credited our account $140. last month for out of service. However, I think they may be a bit freaking on my asking about AZ corporate commission-that regulates their services.