PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's Big Day

jimnyc
11-01-2014, 11:52 AM
So I've said it a few times already about his last game - 40 out of 49 for 522 yards and 6 TD's. Here's what Boomer Esiason had to say about the performance...

------

It’s clearly a special plateau. But how special?

Roethlisberger seemed unfazed by the numbers. After the game, he said he had no idea during it that he was a few throws away from taking down one of the league’s most vaunted records.

“No. I don’t even know what’s going on. Usually I have guys coming up to tell me what is going on, or I look on the Jumbotron,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t know my stats, I just know what the score says, really.”

Although he paid due deference to becoming the first 500-yard repeater, Roethlisberger didn’t sound like a man putting a ton of stock in the record — rather, more in his fellow Steelers who helped win the game.

“Well there have been a lot of great quarterbacks that have played this game, and it’s just such a great honor just to be mentioned in the same breath as a lot of those guys,” he said. “It’s not just [about] me; those guys [his teammates] gave me time, and everyone else made plays.”

CBS analyst Boomer Esiason, who matched Ben’s 522 yards in 1996 with the Arizona Cardinals, was more than happy to do the talking for Roethlisberger’s effort.

“Ben happened to get out of bed on the right side Sunday morning,” Esiason said by phone. “Because looking back and watching that tape again, I think it was the single greatest performance a quarterback has ever had in a game.”

We watched the tape, too. Considering those four or five dropped passes among Roethlisberger’s nine incompletions, Van Brocklin might have gone down.

“I thought they left about 75 or 80 yards on the field, but you never know what would have happened had those plays been completed. Maybe they run it more later, who knows?” Esiason said. “But the fact that he wasn’t sacked and wasn’t intercepted and that it happened so flawlessly and so easily, it was amazing.

“I think it’s the greatest single regular-season performance a quarterback has ever had.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/chasing-van-brocklin--500-yard-passers-in-rare-air--but-his-record-remains-153539209.html

jimnyc
11-03-2014, 07:54 AM
So that was last week. Big Ben did not throw for over 500 yards again this week.

But he did toss another 6 TD's in one game! Now the most TD's in any 2 game span in NFL history!

aboutime
11-03-2014, 04:09 PM
So that was last week. Big Ben did not throw for over 500 yards again this week.

But he did toss another 6 TD's in one game! Now the most TD's in any 2 game span in NFL history!

But it WAS a great game! Both Steelers, and Eagles won. Pennsylvania winners.

jimnyc
11-03-2014, 08:07 PM
But it WAS a great game! Both Steelers, and Eagles won. Pennsylvania winners.

Well, I'm not really an Eagles fan, but I'm too happy with football to mock them this week! :beer:

aboutime
11-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Well, I'm not really an Eagles fan, but I'm too happy with football to mock them this week! :beer:

Thanks Jim. But NOBODY can take anything away from BIG BEN. He's Da Man! Yes, I'm an Eagle fan. Much like you're a Steeler's fan. Best of both Worlds.:laugh: