PDA

View Full Version : "Death With Dignity" advocate dies in Oregon

gabosaurus
11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
A quite sad but touching story about someone who was able to end their life on their own terms.

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Brittany-Maynard-who-sparked-aid-in-dying-5865547.php

darin
11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
I just love her. God be with her and her loved ones during this time. :-/

jimnyc
11-03-2014, 07:22 PM
I saw a lot of debates around the internet on this subject today. A lot of people were calling her a sinner for committing suicide, the ultimate sin, and will now burn in hell. I disagree with this. I think that's meant for when people take away the life that was meant to continue. This was 100% certain that she was going to die anyway. All this girl did was make it a specific time, and in a less painful way. I don't think God would have wanted to see her suffer, and she used her free will to speed up the inevitable process. This was HER choice and I'm glad she was able to take the route SHE wanted and what was going to make HER most comfortable. I think many would want her to stick around out of their own selfish needs. This was not one of those suicides where "someone could have been saved" or "only if someone had known". Sadly, there was no saving here. The only saving she did for herself, saving herself from incredible pain and a life in a shell anyway.

LongTermGuy
11-03-2014, 07:25 PM
I saw a lot of debates around the internet on this subject today. A lot of people were calling her a sinner for committing suicide, the ultimate sin, and will now burn in hell. I disagree with this. I think that's meant for when people take away the life that was meant to continue. This was 100% certain that she was going to die anyway. All this girl did was make it a specific time, and in a less painful way. I don't think God would have wanted to see her suffer, and she used her free will to speed up the inevitable process. This was HER choice and I'm glad she was able to take the route SHE wanted and what was going to make HER most comfortable. I think many would want her to stick around out of their own selfish needs. This was not one of those suicides where "someone could have been saved" or "only if someone had known". Sadly, there was no saving here. The only saving she did for herself, saving herself from incredible pain and a life in a shell anyway.

`Very sad story...have been following it myself....agree with your comment:

~ "and she used her `free will` to speed up the inevitable process" ~

jimnyc
11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
`Very sad story...have been following it myself....agree with your comment:

~ "and she used her `free will` to speed up the inevitable process" ~

My Mom passed of cancer. I would have given every limb of mine to have her somehow stick around, as I miss her like you wouldn't believe. But I saw suffering first hand. I wouldn't have liked it if Mom had made a similar choice. I would have tried to talk her out of it for my own selfish needs and feelings. But in the end, if that's what she wanted, I would have respected that and supported her.

My Aunt Joan passed from bone cancer when I was like 12 or 13. Her bones were so brittle that she was in bed for the last few years of her life. She also had a cage of sorts around her head, and drilled into her skull, to give it support and stability. I was too young to fully grasp things at the time, but obviously she suffered a lot. Way more than anyone should have too.

If someone is 100% certain to die, I see no reason why it shouldn't be on their own terms, and allow them to avoid unnecessary suffering, for both them and the family.