PDA

View Full Version : When You've Lost Piers Morgan...

hjmick
11-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I've never thought much of Piers Morgan, still don't. I don't think he really understood the American people who comprised his audience, and I think this lead to his downfall at CNN. That and what appears to be a natural arrogance and pomposity...

All that being said, I found myself amused when I stumbled upon this opinion piece:

Ten reasons why bluffing, boring, blame-pointing Obama can expect a well-deserved shellacking in the midterm elections (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2819111/Piers-Morgan-Ten-reasons-bluffing-boring-blame-pointing-Obama-expect-deserved-shellacking-midterm-elections.html)

Some highlights:

When Barack Obama was first elected President in 2008, I celebrated by having an exquisitely romantic dinner on a tiny, temporary sand dune in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Like most of the world, I was thoroughly entranced by this dynamic young senator. He seemed so fresh, vibrant, eloquent and smart.

I believed him when he repeatedly cried: ‘Yes, we can!’

And I punched the air as he assured us: ‘Change has come to America!’

We all did.

Well, everyone bar the Republicans who had seen their hopes go up in smoke with John McCain.

Today, six years on, harsh reality has set in.

It turned out that ‘Most of the time we can’t’ and ‘Not much has changed in America’.

Obama’s personal approval ratings have crashed to an all-time low and his Democrat party is facing a humiliating shellacking in tomorrow’s mid-term elections...

1. HE BREAKS HIS PROMISES. Obama said he’d shut down Guantanamo Bay, then didn’t. He said he’d be more transparent, then we found out his NSA was secretly bugging everyone. He vowed to put a limit on America’s warfare but has continued to wage Drone-led war on numerous fronts. He looked Newtown families in the eye and said he’d get action on gun control - and failed. He insisted he’d make Washington less cynically divisive but it’s never been worse. Above all, he pledged to restore trust in Government and has achieved the complete opposite.

2. HIS FOREIGN POLICY STINKS. He heralded a ‘new dawn’ for the Middle East, but kept American involvement at such minimal levels that ISIS has been allowed to ferment into a potent, dominant terror force in the region...

3. HE’S A BLUFFER. Obama made America a laughing stock when he warned Syria’s Assad regime, ‘A red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized’ and then blinked when Assad promptly crossed that red line. It’s that kind of spinelessness which emboldened Vladimir Putin to wage imperialistic Russian assaults on Crimea and Ukraine - and ISIS to behead his citizens with impunity. I hate seeing America look weak and I’m not even American.

4. HE CAN’T GET THE ECONOMY OUT OF THE TANK. Nobody can credibly blame Obama for the modern day Great Depression that he inherited, but America’s recovery has been painfully slow and still crawls along like a wounded snail, ravaged by a rapidly expanding $17 trillion national debt. The gap between rich and poor rages ever wider too, making a mockery of Obama’s demand for a ‘more inclusive, fairer’ society.

5. HE CAN’T EVEN DO THE RIGHT THINGS RIGHT. Obamacare should have been his great legacy. Bringing 30 million impoverished, uninsured Americans into the health care system is an achievement of genuine worth. But the launch was so haplessly cack-handed and disastrous that the perception remains of dismal failure even as statistics suggest Obamacare is enjoying an increasing positive performance...

6. HE’S BORING...

7. HE BLAMES REPUBLICANS FOR EVERYTHING. I’m sick and tired of Obama constantly berating his political opponents for his own inaction. I’m no fan of the way GOP leaders have tried to strangle his every policy at birth – often at the expense of America’s national interest - but that’s the nature of modern politics...

8. HE CAN’T NEGOTIATE. I wouldn’t trust Obama to renegotiate my monthly gardener’s fees. He just doesn’t know how to make a deal. Politics, at its best, is about strong, powerful men and women getting in each others’ faces, arguing the toss about issues they care about, and agreeing points of compromise. Clinton was a master at it...

9. HE’S DONE NOTHING TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF MINORITIES...

10. HE PERSISTS IN CALLING US ALL ‘FOLKS’. I don’t why he does this, but I find it incredibly patronising and irritating. I can’t be the only one.

While I think he makes valid points, and I'm no fan of Obama, I'm not sure I appreciate Morgan taking a swipe at my President. It's kind of like having a little brother, I can beat the shit out of him, but beware the outsider who does the same...