PDA

View Full Version : Navy Seal who killed Osama ID'd

jimnyc
11-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Navy SEAL who shot Osama Bin Laden revealed as veteran commando Rob O'NeillO’Neill, 38, was the man who shot Bin Laden three times in the forehead during the SEAL raid on Abbottobad which also saw four others killed and no casualties among U.S. forces

The US Navy Seal who fired the fatal gunshots at Osama bin Laden has revealed his identity.

Commando Rob O’Neill was a key figure in Operation Neptune Spear, the daring night-time mission which saw the al-Qaeda chief shot and killed on May 2, 2011.

O’Neill, 38, was the man who shot Bin Laden three times in the forehead during the SEAL raid on Abbottobad which also saw four others killed and no casualties among U.S. forces.

His identity was revealed an a MailOnline interview with Rob’s father, Tom O’Neill - who insists he isn't scared of any retribution from his son's outing as the man who killed bin Laden.

Tom O’Neill told MailOnline: ‘People are asking if we are worried that ISIS will come and get us because Rob is going public.

'I say I'll paint a big target on my front door and say come and get us.'

Rob O'Neill is reportedly one of the most distinguished members of the Navy SEALs and was personally congratulated after killing bin Laden, according to his father.

The raid in 2011 saw a team of Navy SEALs in Blackhawk helicopters swooping on Bin Laden's hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

The operation was ordered by President Barack Obama after the CIA traced Bin Laden's courier to the high-walled compound.

However, O'Neill now faces being shunned from the tightest circles of the U.S. military for disclosing one of America's most closely held secrets.

The commander of US Navy SEALs issued a stinging rebuke to troops who have broken the elite force's hallowed tradition of secrecy and humility by publishing memoirs and speaking to the media.

Rear Admiral Brian Losey, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, wrote to his troops denouncing anyone who seeks fame or fortune by revealing details of secret missions.

'A critical tenet of our Ethos is 'I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions,' Losey and the top enlisted sailor, Force Master Chief Michael Magaraci, wrote in the letter.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/navy-seal-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-revealed-as-veteran-commando-rob-o-neill-105653819.html#A2ZuGqH

DLT
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Navy SEAL who shot Osama Bin Laden revealed as veteran commando Rob O'Neill

O’Neill, 38, was the man who shot Bin Laden three times in the forehead during the SEAL raid on Abbottobad which also saw four others killed and no casualties among U.S. forces

The US Navy Seal who fired the fatal gunshots at Osama bin Laden has revealed his identity.

Commando Rob O’Neill was a key figure in Operation Neptune Spear, the daring night-time mission which saw the al-Qaeda chief shot and killed on May 2, 2011.

O’Neill, 38, was the man who shot Bin Laden three times in the forehead during the SEAL raid on Abbottobad which also saw four others killed and no casualties among U.S. forces.

His identity was revealed an a MailOnline interview with Rob’s father, Tom O’Neill - who insists he isn't scared of any retribution from his son's outing as the man who killed bin Laden.

Tom O’Neill told MailOnline: ‘People are asking if we are worried that ISIS will come and get us because Rob is going public.

'I say I'll paint a big target on my front door and say come and get us.'

Rob O'Neill is reportedly one of the most distinguished members of the Navy SEALs and was personally congratulated after killing bin Laden, according to his father.

The raid in 2011 saw a team of Navy SEALs in Blackhawk helicopters swooping on Bin Laden's hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

The operation was ordered by President Barack Obama after the CIA traced Bin Laden's courier to the high-walled compound.

However, O'Neill now faces being shunned from the tightest circles of the U.S. military for disclosing one of America's most closely held secrets.

The commander of US Navy SEALs issued a stinging rebuke to troops who have broken the elite force's hallowed tradition of secrecy and humility by publishing memoirs and speaking to the media.

Rear Admiral Brian Losey, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, wrote to his troops denouncing anyone who seeks fame or fortune by revealing details of secret missions.

'A critical tenet of our Ethos is 'I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions,' Losey and the top enlisted sailor, Force Master Chief Michael Magaraci, wrote in the letter.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/navy-seal-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-revealed-as-veteran-commando-rob-o-neill-105653819.html#A2ZuGqH

That's not just unethical, it's dumb. Greed does strange things to people though. He's looking to cash in on having done his freaking job. What a world we now live in.

aboutime
11-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I think, and believe this entire story is a hoax. I'll leave it there. Anyone who wants to believe it. Go for it.

jimnyc
11-06-2014, 03:58 PM
I think, and believe this entire story is a hoax. I'll leave it there. Anyone who wants to believe it. Go for it.

I don't know, there's lots of stories out there now about these 2 Seals who both supposedly have released information.

----

The U.S. Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama bin Laden during the daring 2011 raid on the terror leader's compound in Abbottobad, Pakistan, has been identified as Rob O'Neill.

According to the Daily Mail, O'Neill, a 38-year-old Butte, Montana, native, is expected to reveal himself as the shooter in a Fox News special, "The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden," later this month. But O'Neill's father confirmed his son, who retired from the Navy in 2012, was the SEAL who fatally shot the al Qaeda leader — and supports his decision to go public.

"I support him in everything he is doing," Tom O'Neill told the U.K. newspaper. "People are asking if we are worried that ISIS will come and get us because Rob is going public. ... I say I'll paint a big target on my front door and say come and get us."

Twenty-three members of the SEAL Team 6 and an interpreter participated in the historic Operation Neptune Spear just after midnight on May 2, 2011, storming the compound and killing bin Laden and four others, including one of bin Laden's sons, bin Laden's two bodyguards and the wife of one of the bodyguards. According to the Daily Mail report, O’Neill shot Bin Laden three times in the forehead.

In 2013, Esquire published an extensive interview with O'Neill about his role in the raid but did not reveal his identity.

In that interview, the former SEAL — identified as "The Shooter" due to what the magazine described as "safety" reasons — said he had been largely abandoned by the U.S. government since leaving the military.

“In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead," he told Esquire. "Bap! Bap! The second time as he’s going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed. He was dead. I watched him take his last breaths. And I remember as I watched him breathe out the last part of air, I thought: Is this the best thing I've ever done, or the worst thing I've ever done?

http://news.yahoo.com/navy-seal-who-shot-bin-laden-identified-as-rob-oneill-162127333.html

And then also:

------

Who Shot Bin Laden? A Tale of Two SEALs

Two different alumni of SEAL Team Six, the secretive group of highly trained soldiers that killed Osama bin Laden three years ago, have been profiting off their role in the terror leader’s death since leaving the military.

Former Team Six member Matt Bissonnette, who wrote a bestseller under a pseudonym about shooting bin Laden, is about to publish his second book about being a Navy SEAL. Rob O’Neill, meanwhile, is the unnamed “shooter” who was credited in numerous magazine articles with firing the fatal shots, and according to two SEAL sources will be presented again as the “shooter” in a Fox News interview that airs later this month. He has been traveling the country giving paid motivational speeches on the unspoken understanding that he’s the man who killed bin Laden.

Neither man is the SEAL who was first up the stairs at bin Laden’s Pakistan compound and fired the first shot at Osama. But their dueling narratives are a sign of the backbiting and dysfunction that has roiled a once tight-knit band of warriors as former members violate their code of secrecy in search of the spotlight.

“Two different people telling two different stories for two different reasons,” said Matt Bissonnette in an interview with NBC News. His second book, “No Hero,” comes out next week. “Whatever he says, he says. I don’t want to touch that.”

Both men now face scorn from some brother SEALs. Unlike O’Neill, however, Bissonnette is under investigation by the federal government, which is trying to determine whether he disclosed classified information in his first book. He says he’s sorry he didn’t submit the book for legal review, but says there are “inconsistencies” about who is allowed to talk and who isn’t, since higher ups were apparently speaking freely.

“Everybody and their brother was talking about this,” said Bissonnette. “How can you be holding it against me?”

Just a week ago, the two officers who run the Naval Special Warfare Command fired off a stern warning letter to all SEAL “teammates” about seeking fame. The message, sent ahead of Bissonnette’s appearance on “60 Minutes” and O’Neill’s interview on Fox, seemed intended to shame Bissonnette and O’Neill.

“At Naval Special Warfare’s core is the SEAL Ethos,” said the letter, signed by Rear Adm. Brian Losey and Master Chief Michael Magaraci. “A critical (tenet) of our Ethos is ‘I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions.’

“We do not abide willful or selfish disregard for our core values in return for public notoriety and financial gain.”

The letter closes by reminding the “teammates” that classified information is protected by law, and warns that “We will actively seek judicial consequences for members who willfully violate the law.”

Bissonnette, who left the Navy in April 2012, was the first SEAL from the bin Laden mission to cut a business deal based on his participation. When he published the book “No Easy Day” on Sept. 4, 2012, he used the pen name Mark Owen and pledged much of the proceeds to charity, but he still became persona non grata with his command and many former comrades.

Rest here - http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/who-shot-bin-laden-tale-two-seals-n241241

aboutime
11-06-2014, 04:02 PM

I'm stickin' with this one Jim. Can't tell you any more than that. If the story does turn out to be true. We have even bigger problems.

jimnyc
11-06-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm stickin' with this one Jim. Can't tell you any more than that. If the story does turn out to be true. We have even bigger problems.

Well, the guy and his father have both spoken about it now. Unsure why the military and/or other officials would not step in and state unequivocally that this wasn't him, but instead they spoke of how this is against regulations and code, and perhaps illegal. Also, as the second story states, he told this same story long ago, prior to once again releasing this information about the mission.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and you know more than I do. But odd that the military and WH officials would not deny their version of events.

If true, all I see wrong is a couple of guys who went against the grain of code, and for whatever their reasons are, are trying to cash in on the events or get a little fame. I'm torn about it. Personally, I would like to buy the shooter a few beers. But at the same time, I understand the code that is behind what these guys do. I'm not in a place to guess why this is coming out now. From what I understand, the Fox special is still going to air next month which is the same thing as here, this guy ID'n himself and speaking about this particular mission.

aboutime
11-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Well, the guy and his father have both spoken about it now. Unsure why the military and/or other officials would not step in and state unequivocally that this wasn't him, but instead they spoke of how this is against regulations and code, and perhaps illegal. Also, as the second story states, he told this same story long ago, prior to once again releasing this information about the mission.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and you know more than I do. But odd that the military and WH officials would not deny their version of events.

If true, all I see wrong is a couple of guys who went against the grain of code, and for whatever their reasons are, are trying to cash in on the events or get a little fame. I'm torn about it. Personally, I would like to buy the shooter a few beers. But at the same time, I understand the code that is behind what these guys do. I'm not in a place to guess why this is coming out now. From what I understand, the Fox special is still going to air next month which is the same thing as here, this guy ID'n himself and speaking about this particular mission.

Jim. I know what you are saying, and I fully understand where you are coming from. However....The Pentagon, and the W/H live, and operate based on a simple, frequently used phrase that serves to CYA in every direction.
And that phrase is: "We can neither confirm, or deny any part, or portion of the information".

And I think everyone should bear in mind. Certain members of the military, and government agencies routinely require their people to SIGN "NON-DISCLOSURE" forms. Not just one, but possibly many, depending on the operation, or job.

I do not claim to know more than anyone else. But, my memory hasn't gotten worse since my last days in uniform either.