PDA

View Full Version : Elections have "consequences"!

Neo
11-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Copy of an e-mail I sent this old Commie five minues ago in reply to :http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/page/ct-gop-should-not-gloat-victory-election-page-perspec-1109-20141107-column.html
Republicans shouldn't let victory go to their heads
Before the votes were cast, Tuesday's midterm elections were looking like a "Seinfeld" election. Like the quirky TV comedy show, the midterms didn't seem to be about anything in particular.
Then the votes were counted and the "Seinfeld" midterms turned into a "wave" election.
Suddenly this election was about something after all. Mostly it was about somebody who was not explicitly on the ballot, yet still loomed large on everybody's minds: President Barack Obama.

Dear Clarence (so appropriately named after my favorite clown),
Elections have consequences, remember that little ditty from 08?

Tell me something Clarence; why is it that when Republicans win decisively and the whacked out leftist agenda is totally and thoroughly rejected that it is the REPUBLICANS who, in your “esteemed” (and questionably/allegedly educated) opinion, that are TOO EXTREME, ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE OVER-REACHED, & MUST MOVE TO THE CENTER?

Stop it now Clarence, just say no to your leftist habit of projecting what it is that YOUR party MUST do.

Assuming, that is, that you’re interested in avoiding the fate of the Whigs.

Have a GOD blessed day! J

Las Vegas via Chicago (yes, I “know” the way)

NightTrain
11-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Tried to read the piece.. looks like you need a subscription to view it.

Neo
11-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Tried to read the piece.. looks like you need a subscription to view it.

Sorry you had an issue. It appears that I'm a bit more fortunate, it's still available for me to access. Please allow me to share.:salute:

Before the votes were cast, Tuesday's midterm elections were looking like a "Seinfeld" election. Like the quirky TV comedy show, the midterms didn't seem to be about anything in particular.
Then the votes were counted and the "Seinfeld" midterms turned into a "wave" election.

Suddenly this election was about something after all. Mostly it was about somebody who was not explicitly on the ballot, yet still loomed large on everybody's minds: President Barack Obama.Fifty-four percent of those casting ballots in the midterms were dissatisfied with Obama's job performance, according to exit polls conducted by AP and the networks.

Yet about the same number of voters didn't think much of congressional Republicans either: 59 percent said they were not happy with GOP congressional leaders — and a commanding 79 percent turned thumbs-down on Congress as a whole.

Obama got the message and sent a few of his own.
"To everyone who voted, I want you to know that I hear you," the president said the next day at a news conference. "To the two-thirds of voters who chose not to participate in the process yesterday, I hear you too."

That sounded like a subtle poke at the Obama voters who failed to show up this time to pull Democratic chestnuts out of the conservative fires as they did in 2012.
It also sounded like a my-mandate-is-bigger-than-yours reminder to the Grand Old Party. The GOP won both houses of Congress. Now it must show it can govern.

In that pursuit, I would suggest, first and foremost, that Republicans don't let their recent victory go to their heads. Majorities can quickly shrink for parties that lose touch with the public mood and forget the job that voters elected them to perform.Self-styled House Republican "revolutionaries" under Speaker Newt Gingrich found that out after their wave election of 1994 led to back-to-back government shutdowns and the Bill Clinton impeachment, among other fiascoes.Yet Gingrich and Clinton managed to work together well enough to produce such important achievements as the Welfare Reform Act of 1996 and a balanced federal budget.

President Ronald Reagan and House Speaker Thomas "Tip" O'Neill conducted a similarly productive relationship when Democrats dominated Congress in the 1980s.But I have little hope for a similar comity between Obama and Speaker John Boehner and Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell, despite their happy talk about working together.

There's too much bad blood between them by now and, more important, too many allies and supporters in their own parties that pull the parties apart.As Obama said in a remarkably defiant post-primary news conference, ballot measures favored by Democrats won more votes than Democratic candidates did.
That's not much consolation to the Democrats who lost their races, but it sends a message to Obama and other Democrats to stand their ideological ground.

Republicans may have a bigger headache in the likes of freshman Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who vowed in interviews just before the midterms to lead a tea party insurgency in the Senate similar to the one that has roiled the House.He would not pledge to support McConnell as the Republican leader when the new Congress convenes next month. He did call on the Senate to repeal all of the Affordable Care Act. McConnell points out that Republicans don't have enough votes to overcome a presidential veto that is sure to come.

But Cruz doesn't care. Republicans should push such audacious moves anyway, he said, to heighten the contrasts between the parties — and, one presumes, heighten his own profile as a presidential hopeful in 2016.

Remember the Gingrich Congress? It began to succeed when Republicans did what they now have done again in the 2014 midterms: Members moved away from right-wing grandstanding and back toward the sensible center. Cruz, among others on the far right, sounds determined to push the party back toward the fringes.That's bad news for Americans who yearn for a peacefully productive Congress. It's also good news, I predict, for the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee, whoever she may be.

Clarence Page, a member of the Tribune Editorial Board, blogs atchicagotribune.com/pagespage (http://www.chicagotribune.com/pagespage).
cpage@tribune.com
Twitter @cptime

:thumb:

NightTrain
11-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Sounds like Clarence Page is butthurt along with every other liberal in the country right now.

That's okay, his tears are delicious as well!

Now if the GOP buckles down and really gets to work fixing things, the liberals won't have a leg to stand on. 2 years to go, and the clock is ticking.

Neo
11-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Sounds like Clarence Page is butthurt along with every other liberal in the country right now.

That's okay, his tears are delicious as well!

Now if the GOP buckles down and really gets to work fixing things, the liberals won't have a leg to stand on. 2 years to go, and the clock is ticking.

They had better, or THIS clock is going to be mighty ticked off!:laugh::laugh:

NightTrain
11-09-2014, 12:14 PM
They had better, or THIS clock is going to be mighty ticked off!:laugh::laugh:

Yep, same here. This is the last chance for the GOP as far as I'm concerned. They'd better perform.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Yep, same here. This is the last chance for the GOP as far as I'm concerned. They'd better perform.

I suspect that as each day, week and then month passes they will falter, grow less stirred to take substantial action and eventually hit full appeasement mode with the media propagandists and the lousy Dems.
I f that happens this nation will be sunk for it will spell a wipe out for them in 2016!!
Those lying propagandists are already working overtime in doing just that.
We should criticize them, the dems, at every opportunity to keep them stirred in their hatred for then they act out on it and forget to play the wooing game on the Republican leadership.
We should keep every Republican elected official's feet to the damn fire!
Never, Never let up! --Tyr

Neo
11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I suspect that as each day, week and then month passes they will falter, grow less stirred to take substantial action and eventually hit full appeasement mode with the media propagandists and the lousy Dems.
I f that happens this nation will be sunk for it will spell a wipe out for them in 2016!!
Those lying propagandists are already working overtime in doing just that.
We should criticize them, the dems, at every opportunity to keep them stirred in their hatred for then they act out on it and forget to play the wooing game on the Republican leadership.
We should keep every Republican elected official's feet to the damn fire!
Never, Never let up! --Tyr

...indeed, and pour on the COAL, REALLY STOKE IT!

fj1200
11-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Clarence Page

Well, he's right as far as it goes. The real prize is two years away.

Their ability to fix anything is restricted by what they can get signed.

Neo
11-10-2014, 05:37 PM
....and the reasons for inactivity, ie., a failure to act for the benefit of the people, should be clearly communicated by our leadership in conjunction with a clearly demonstrated commitment to sound improvements demonstrated by our introduction of sound remedies.

aboutime
11-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Listen closely to his words. Most of us have been trying to tell the rest of the nation what he is saying.

You can disagree with him as much as you want but. CARLIN was actually telling the TRUTH our politicians do not want us to hear.

Gutter language may offend. But...it helps to expose the HONEST FACTS many will still deny.

http://youtu.be/oI5EY5kqiBU

Jeff
11-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Got to love George, he tells it like it is !!