PDA

View Full Version : OK... here's the computers newest AGRIVATING trick...

Pale Rider
06-23-2007, 11:17 PM
It's just started this in the last few weeks, and it's bugging the HELL out of me. When I close the internet window, it takes almost FIVE SECONDS TO CLOSE! It has NEVER done that before, on any computer I've ever SEEN! I don't know what's making it do that, but no matter how much I defrag it, or scan it, or clean it, it still does it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???!!!

nevadamedic
06-23-2007, 11:24 PM
It's just started this in the last few weeks, and it's bugging the HELL out of me. When I close the internet window, it takes almost FIVE SECONDS TO CLOSE! It has NEVER done that before, on any computer I've ever SEEN! I don't know what's making it do that, but no matter how much I defrag it, or scan it, or clean it, it still does it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???!!!

How many programs do you have running on your startup?

diuretic
06-23-2007, 11:48 PM
What's the "internet window"? Is that the browser?

One thing you might like to try if you're using Windows is CC (aka "Crap Cleaner"). It's free and you can get it just about anywhere - but http://www.filehippo.com - has an up to date copy always. It's only a small programme, it runs automatically and it's very useful for keeping the computer clean (you need to check the options you want it to run - sounds like you want to run all of them to clean out the browser cache). It will also do some rudimentary registry cleaning and it helps with uninstalls.

Pale Rider
06-24-2007, 10:53 AM
What's the "internet window"? Is that the browser?

One thing you might like to try if you're using Windows is CC (aka "Crap Cleaner"). It's free and you can get it just about anywhere - but http://www.filehippo.com - has an up to date copy always. It's only a small programme, it runs automatically and it's very useful for keeping the computer clean (you need to check the options you want it to run - sounds like you want to run all of them to clean out the browser cache). It will also do some rudimentary registry cleaning and it helps with uninstalls.

I loaded this up. Decent little program. It did do some cleaning that my microsoft disk cleanup didn't. I'll keep it, but it didn't really help the problem. I'm still wondering what the fuck.

diuretic
06-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Good stuff, at least it did a bit of good. Now I'm wondering what else it can be. Not being a computer whizz I'm at a bit of a loss. Any other symptoms??

Yurt
06-24-2007, 12:01 PM

ANY SUGGESTIONS???!!!

what browser are you using? you also could have inadvertantly downloaded some spyware. how much memory do you have?

glockmail
06-24-2007, 12:16 PM

ANY SUGGESTIONS???!!!

My guess is spyware as well. It's using that time to send some data out, probably. Dump all your cookies, and then use and anti-spy utility. I use AVG free addition.

A good source for computer advice and links to free stuff is Komando.com

5stringJeff
06-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Pale, go to the lin kdiuretic sent and download and run Spybot and Ad-Aware. Then see if you have the same problem.

Pale Rider
07-03-2007, 09:21 AM
what browser are you using? you also could have inadvertantly downloaded some spyware. how much memory do you have?

I'm using Microsoft Internet Explorer, and I have Webroot Spyware/Adware Sweeper that I keep updated almost to the day, and I run it at least once a week. So I kinda doubt it's spyware. I also have Norton Anti-Virus that I also keep up to date. I run that at least once every two weeks. Both full scans. I usually always run disk cleanup before I shut it down for the night too, and it's still doing it. The longer I have an internet window open, the longer it likes to linger. However, it's not getting any worse. I think it just may be the way disk defragmenter has arranged the program.

I have a gig of ram, and a 250 gig hard drive.

Mr. P
07-03-2007, 09:40 AM
I'll bet if you use Firefox and dump Norton you'll hit warp speed!

Pale Rider
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Why?

Mr. P
07-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Why?

Norton slows every puter down I've ever seen it on. Firefox is just faster than IE.

Trinity
07-03-2007, 10:21 AM

:clap::clap: Have to agree here!

glockmail
07-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Why?

Norton slows every puter down I've ever seen it on. Firefox is just faster than IE.

I suspect he's right, Pale. The better-known programs get slower and slower with every update. I'm convinced that programmers just spend their lives making code that is more complex and longer, instead of what we used to do, tweaking it and refining it to keep it simple and short, in the old days when RAM, disk space and processor speed were expensive.

Pale Rider
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I suspect he's right, Pale. The better-known programs get slower and slower with every update. I'm convinced that programmers just spend their lives making code that is more complex and longer, instead of what we used to do, tweaking it and refining it to keep it simple and short, in the old days when RAM, disk space and processor speed were expensive.

OK.... use Firefox, and dump Norton. I've tried Firefox and wasn't impressed. I like the new IE 6.0 just as much. And if I dump Norton, then what? MacAfee? Surely you're not telling me to run without an antivirus installed.

Mr. P
07-03-2007, 10:58 AM
OK.... use Firefox, and dump Norton. I've tried Firefox and wasn't impressed. I like the new IE 6.0 just as much. And if I dump Norton, then what? MacAfee? Surely you're not telling me to run without an antivirus installed.

Avast and it's free. Updates itself too..pretty good program, I've used it for years.

glockmail
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM

I don't have experience with either. I use AVG free edition.

diuretic
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Avast is very good and it has a plug-in for Outlook if you are running MS Office.

Pale Rider
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
In any case... I don't think there's a better anti-virus than Norton, and my copy is registered and paid for. Might as well keep it.

And I think it's just a software thing why the internet window is lolly gagging around closing. I think next time I'm in Best Buy I'll ask one of the Geek Squad dudes. They're all pretty slick with this stuff.

glockmail
07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
In any case... I don't think there's a better anti-virus than Norton, and my copy is registered and paid for. Might as well keep it.

And I think it's just a software thing why the internet window is lolly gagging around closing. I think next time I'm in Best Buy I'll ask one of the Geek Squad dudes. They're all pretty slick with this stuff.

If you're paid up with Norton why not call them?

diuretic
07-03-2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_slows_windows_down/3

uh-oh.......it's about boot time but I wonder if it might also affect shutdown?

The results of the security software were quite shocking. I've always known that being most involved with the system, antivirus and firewall programs are going to make things slower, but I was just completely astounded by the Norton result when compared against the other software on show.

Pale Rider
07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
If you're paid up with Norton why not call them?

And say what?

Pale Rider
07-04-2007, 05:30 AM
http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_slows_windows_down/3

uh-oh.......it's about boot time but I wonder if it might also affect shutdown?

Interesting diuretic... I'll have to look into that some more. Thanks. I may do away with Norton after all... when my update subscription runs out.

diuretic
07-04-2007, 05:52 AM
You're welcome PR - I was a bit surprised to read it so with a bit of luck that might be the issue sorted out.

Pale Rider
07-04-2007, 05:56 AM
You're welcome PR - I was a bit surprised to read it so with a bit of luck that might be the issue sorted out.

I don't recall anything I did to make it start doing this. No new programs, downloads, files, nothing. I think it just started. So the frequent updating of the Norton could have done it. At least there's some proof of it slowing things down.

COME TO THINK OF IT... THIS JUST HIT ME...

... I believe this little quirk started right after my last round of Microsoft Windows Updates!!

Abbey Marie
07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't recall anything I did to make it start doing this. No new programs, downloads, files, nothing. I think it just started. So the frequent updating of the Norton could have done it. At least there's some proof of it slowing things down.

COME TO THINK OF IT... THIS JUST HIT ME...

... I believe this little quirk started right after my last round of Microsoft Windows Updates!!

Pale, I just upgraded to IE 7, and everything is going soooo slow now. Especially opening new windows. I'm thinking of trying to go back to IE 6. Does anyone know if that is a bad idea?

Like you, I liked IE 6 better than Firefox, which had some problems.

glockmail
07-04-2007, 10:54 AM
And say what? Why is my computer doing this? Maybe you should uninstall Norton, see if it still happens. You could isolate the problem that way.

glockmail
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Pale, I just upgraded to IE 7, and everything is going soooo slow now. Especially opening new windows. I'm thinking of trying to go back to IE 6. Does anyone know if that is a bad idea?

Like you, I liked IE 6 better than Firefox, which had some problems. I upgraded to IE7 several weeks ago and have not experienced problems on my 3 year old/ 2GHz machine. I like the tabs but miss the menu.

Pale, are you running IE7? If so go to tools/delete browsing history/delete all/ also deleted crap stored by add ons. I do that daily and found that it speeds things up and removes spyware as well. IE6 has a similar operation.

diuretic
07-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I was browsing one of my old computer magazines today and reading a sort of general article about cleaning up the computer so it runs well. The writer did mention that sometimes the Windows updates will cause the machine to not run as well as usual. I apply the updates as they are automatically downloaded, I suppose I'm a bit paranoid about security.

In terms of browsers, I use Firefox and also Opera. Opera is my preferred browser because it's a bit lighter than Firefox I find. It has full functionality and it's faster (I also stay away from the add-ons/extensions in Firefox).

glockmail
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
The other thing I do to improve speed is to have no background picture on my desktop. Just a cool, black nothing. Likewise my screen saver is blank. Probably saves power too.

Pale Rider
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I upgraded to IE7 several weeks ago and have not experienced problems on my 3 year old/ 2GHz machine. I like the tabs but miss the menu.

Pale, are you running IE7? If so go to tools/delete browsing history/delete all/ also deleted crap stored by add ons. I do that daily and found that it speeds things up and removes spyware as well. IE6 has a similar operation.

Yeah my mistake. I have IE7 with the tabs and such. I like it a lot.

And when I download Windows Updates, I do it "custom," so I can pick out what I want to download and what not. There's some networking shit that I don't need, so I never update that.

glockmail
07-04-2007, 01:33 PM

And when I download Windows Updates, I do it "custom," so I can pick out what I want to download and what not. There's some networking shit that I don't need, so I never update that. Delete all the crap as I suggested before.

Abbey Marie
07-04-2007, 10:08 PM

And when I download Windows Updates, I do it "custom," so I can pick out what I want to download and what not. There's some networking shit that I don't need, so I never update that.

I'm running McAfee, not Norton. It sounds like our common denominator is IE7. The thing is, I wasn't having any problems before, and the only thing I've changed is the IE upgrade. So, why isn't Glock having the same problem?

Pale Rider
07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm running McAfee, not Norton. It sounds like our common denominator is IE7. The thing is, I wasn't having any problems before, and the only thing I've changed is the IE upgrade. So, why isn't Glock having the same problem?

Do'no. I've never had this problem before, and I'm really hesitant to think it's my Norton anitvirus. I tried opening and closing windows with Norton shut down, and it didn't make any difference. The thing is, my computer isn't slow. It's just that little linger when I close my internet window. I guess it may really not be that big a deal.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Is anyone else having problems switching between foums on here? Periodically, it takes forever, and occasionally it won't switch at all; just keeps reloading the same page over and over. That too started after I upgraded... Sometimes it works fine, though (like today), so I thought maybe it was the site. It's not constantly degrading in performance, as it usually would from a virus.

glockmail
07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Is anyone else having problems switching between foums on here? Periodically, it takes forever, and occasionally it won't switch at all; just keeps reloading the same page over and over. That too started after I upgraded... Sometimes it works fine, though (like today), so I thought maybe it was the site. It's not constantly degrading in performance, as it usually would from a virus. I've noticed spotty performance of loading pages on occasion, lately. I assume that is due to electical storms somewhere along the net from my computer to the server.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I've noticed spotty performance of loading pages on occasion, lately. I assume that is due to electical storms somewhere along the net from my computer to the server.

Thanks. It's always nice to know one is not alone in one's distress. :salute:

Pale Rider
07-06-2007, 01:55 AM

No you're not alone. The site is slow sometimes, and there's also been times when I couldn't open it period. I'd get a message saying page could not be displayed, check my internet connection, so I either email or call Jimmy, and there'd be some little detail he'd have to iron out.

jimnyc
07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Try "Tune Up Utilities 2007"

Awesome program that helps clean your computer. Has an option called "one click maintenance" that cleans/repairs your registry and takes care of temp files as well. Been using various versions for a few years now and I absolutely love this program.

Also, Crap Cleaner has an option just below the cleaning showing "Issues". Try running that, it's also a program that will help repair your registry or remove unnecessary entries.

Shoot me a PM and I can help you with the program I mentioned if you like :)

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Everytime I close an Internet Explorer window I get that error message asking if you want to send it to Microsoft or Don't send, then closes you out of almost all your windows, it's pretty irratating.

nevadamedic
07-09-2007, 04:50 PM

I have the same problem, and sometimes it goes to a Windows page not found homepage.

diuretic
07-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Everytime I close an Internet Explorer window I get that error message asking if you want to send it to Microsoft or Don't send, then closes you out of almost all your windows, it's pretty irratating.

You can turn the notification off.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_error_reporting.htm

glockmail
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM

That notification can be useful. It has pointed me towards fixes at least twice.

Pale Rider
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Try "Tune Up Utilities 2007"

Awesome program that helps clean your computer. Has an option called "one click maintenance" that cleans/repairs your registry and takes care of temp files as well. Been using various versions for a few years now and I absolutely love this program.

Also, Crap Cleaner has an option just below the cleaning showing "Issues". Try running that, it's also a program that will help repair your registry or remove unnecessary entries.

Shoot me a PM and I can help you with the program I mentioned if you like :)

I'm going to down the trial version of the Tune Up Utilities and check it out.

Thanks Jim.