PDA

View Full Version : National Cathedral to Host First Muslim Prayer

jimnyc
11-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Let's see how quick mosques around the nation reply in kind, and invite Christians to prayer at their holy sites.

------

Washington National Cathedral is hosting a Muslim prayer service for the first time on Friday.

Planners say they hope Friday's service at the historic cathedral will foster more understanding and acceptance between Christians and Muslims around the world.

The prominent Episcopal cathedral often hosts national events, such as presidential funerals, and has hosted Muslims at various interfaith services in the past. But planners say this is the first time the cathedral has invited Muslims to lead their own prayers there, which they call a "powerful symbolic gesture.''

Planners say the prayer service developed after the cathedral's liturgical director met South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool while planning the national memorial service for Nelson Mandela.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/National-Cathedral-to-Host-First-Muslim-Prayer-282303401.html

darin
11-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Very cool.

The first sunday after 11-Sep, driving near my brother's place in Renton, WA, a mosque had its doors open, and patrons in their arab garb were on the sidewalks holding and waving USA flags. Was touching and a very good move on their part.

I'd love to see ALL religious fanatics; muslims, christians, atheists, global warming, etc, all hang together, and chill the hell out :)

LongTermGuy
11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
~ "Let's see how quick mosques around the nation reply in kind, and invite Christians to prayer at their holy sites" ~

`Good luck with that... mosques don't belong in the civilized western world...anywhere......Islam is a cult of death and submission and not a religion...Political correctness is full of fail....A good mosque is a closed down one.

*NEVER FORGET !

jimnyc
11-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Very cool.

The first sunday after 11-Sep, driving near my brother's place in Renton, WA, a mosque had its doors open, and patrons in their arab garb were on the sidewalks holding and waving USA flags. Was touching and a very good move on their part.

I'd love to see ALL religious fanatics; muslims, christians, atheists, global warming, etc, all hang together, and chill the hell out :)

I've seen similar by me, and even attended an "outreach" type of initiative, where folks were welcome to come, break bread and learn. I also have no issue with allowing them to share a prayer with Catholics.

BUT, I have extreme doubt that a single mosque on the entire earth would perform similar as this story. That is, allowing Christians into their mosque to hold their own services. I think it would make huge strides if a few mosques announced similarly and made similar invitations. Maybe pigs will fly and I'll be wrong on this one.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Let's see how quick mosques around the nation reply in kind, and invite Christians to prayer at their holy sites.

------

Washington National Cathedral is hosting a Muslim prayer service for the first time on Friday.

Planners say they hope Friday's service at the historic cathedral will foster more understanding and acceptance between Christians and Muslims around the world.

The prominent Episcopal cathedral often hosts national events, such as presidential funerals, and has hosted Muslims at various interfaith services in the past. But planners say this is the first time the cathedral has invited Muslims to lead their own prayers there, which they call a "powerful symbolic gesture.''

Planners say the prayer service developed after the cathedral's liturgical director met South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool while planning the national memorial service for Nelson Mandela.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/National-Cathedral-to-Host-First-Muslim-Prayer-282303401.html

Even if a few mosques here did that(but they will not) it would not matter to the Islamists-for we are the Western world..
Mosques here don't count because they are too heavily under Western influence.. Only mosques in the Sharia controlled nations of the M.E. count as far doing anything lie that goes .
You can bet your last dime and the life of any of your children none of those mosques would ever do that-- -in fact even the act of suggesting that in a mosque over there would get you dragged out into the streets and stoned to death on the damn spot.
No sir, in Islam only appeasement acceptable is that given to them--none ever by them!
They have not kept the same intolerably brutal war /murder machine going for 1400+ years by appeasing other religions.
Islam is an indoctrination into the forces of evil folks-- it teaches to murder to further its goals, to lie to deceive to spread and to kill any and all that do not convert or yield.
They are human borg.. A fact..
We shall someday have to fight them all out--problem is we are so stupidly controlled by progressives that that day will be when Islam choses not us! And Islam will only choose when they have the upper hand by far, by a very far stretch.

Look at the sorry state they have Britain in and still they havent started the all out war to conquer the nation.
They are patient and will wait for greater strength for them and engineer far greater weakness for us.
That's the formula they have used for 1400+ years.
Islam has never been about peace, its always been about murder and warfare.
Peace to them is time to regroup, rearm for further assaults.
They are damn animals... Their Koran teaches murder!! And that's murder of women and children folks--no mercy in Islam for we infidels(unbelievers). Wake the hell up Americans!

Here is the cold hard and brutal truth--they wait to get nuked up before going in for the big kill.
Obama will do every damn thing in his power to get Iran nuked up with bombs, because it will then be in charge of the coming Islamic Caliphate. Whichever M.E. nation gets nuke bombs first gets to rule the world in their minds and in their religion--excuse me-in their murdering cult. --Tyr

darin
11-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Parts of the bible teach Murder, too. In fact, the slaughter of thousands is generally celebrated by Christianity. See: Pharroh chasing the Israelis (red sea); Soddom/Gamorah; Jerrico; Feats of Samson; etc.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Parts of the bible teach Murder, too. In fact, the slaughter of thousands is generally celebrated by Christianity. See: Pharroh chasing the Israelis (red sea); Soddom/Gamorah; Jerrico; Feats of Samson; etc.

Yes, the Old Testament records all of that. However, Christianity is based upon the New Testament my friend. Nowhere in the New testament does Jesus teach murder or slaughter to be the answer. Christianity is based upon the life of Jesus and Jesus never murdered or made war on any person. Islam and its founder did both and Islam has murdered estimated over 240 million people in its 1400+ years of existence. -Tyr

jimnyc
11-14-2014, 09:18 AM

That points out even more about today's society. I think a lot of religious books have some "bad" things in them from way back when. But primarily there is only one religious group out there today, on a mass scale, still following the violence from within these books. While I wouldn't debate what is in Christian books and such, I am glad that Christians/Catholics and such aren't out there today killing on a mass scale, or being violent based on the book, or subjugating women or looking to dominate the world.

Whether the bible, quran or any other book - I think it's the people who read them, and what they do with these words, and how they are as a people, that's what matters most. The quran can be the worst book on earth, but if Muslims were truly peaceful and good people, then the book wouldn't matter. Same with Christians. The book can be the greatest on earth, but if the people read it, and for whatever reason there are millions and millions that are radicalized, and killing and getting violent...

IMO, it's the people, society and actions...

darin
11-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Yes, the Old Testament records all of that. However, Christianity is based upon the New Testament my friend. Nowhere in the New testament does Jesus teach murder or slaughter to be the answer. Christianity is based upon the life of Jesus and Jesus never murdered or made war on any person. Islam and its founder did both and Islam has murdered estimated over 240 million people in its 1400+ years of existence. -Tyr

I have never met a christian who disavows the OT. Further, If God is the same in the OT as the God-the-Father of Christ, it's still recorded as a celebration of the death of thousands.

The biggest problem with Islam - the followers. They take instruction that was written PROBABLY NOT for 'everyone' and instruction for only those to whom the author was speaking, and apply it liberally and universally. Same with Christianity - Rules and laws and whatever written for specific people in specific circumstances get listed as rules/laws for everyone.

I hate how people try to fit God into their holy scriptures; to make what they THINK is "holy" be THE reflection of the Creator.

Drummond
11-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Very cool.

Your trust in what you witnessed, as being 'wholly genuine', is touching in itself.

But how many terrorists, or would-be terrorists, would claim loyalty to the country they were living in ... before blowing some small segment of it up ??

http://www.islam-watch.org/authors/110-brokaan/1221-colors-of-peace-loving-muslims.html

We've had instances recently of teenagers going to fight for 'Jihad' in Syria ... whose choice shocks the friends they grew up with. You just can't trust appearances ... sorry !

darin
11-14-2014, 09:55 AM
I know it and it sucks. :-/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-14-2014, 10:07 AM
I have never met a christian who disavows the OT. Further, If God is the same in the OT as the God-the-Father of Christ, it's still recorded as a celebration of the death of thousands.

The biggest problem with Islam - the followers. They take instruction that was written PROBABLY NOT for 'everyone' and instruction for only those to whom the author was speaking, and apply it liberally and universally. Same with Christianity - Rules and laws and whatever written for specific people in specific circumstances get listed as rules/laws for everyone.

I hate how people try to fit God into their holy scriptures; to make what they THINK is "holy" be THE reflection of the Creator.

I did not disavow the Old Testament. What I did was state the old and the New are vastly different. The Old records the man's attempt to live up to the LAW MINUS THE INTERCESSOR, THE SAVIOUR . The bible teaches it was a lesson in abject failure on man's part as there was to be only one way to salvation and that was by way of the sacrifice of the Anointed One. That man's only part in his Salvation shall be by faith--not any deeds performed by him. IN OTHER WORDS SALVATION WOULD BE A GIFT FROM GOD THE FATHER..
I do not expect you to see, believe or understand unless you are Christian but all that happened in the Old Testament was the lead up to the only way salvation was going to ever be had my friend..
This is what true preachers teach and what my studies of the bible for over 40 years reveals to me.
The big difference--(Ive mentioned countless times before) is that Islam has had no reformation(no new testament) and is designed to never have one--hence the death penalty for apostasy.', the death penalty for blasphemy etc.. -Tyr

darin
11-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I did not disavow the Old Testament. What I did was state the old and the New are vastly different. The Old records the man's attempt to live up to the LAW MINUS THE INTERCESSOR, THE SAVIOUR . The bible teaches it was a lesson in abject failure on man's part as there was to be only one way to salvation and that was by way of the sacrifice of the Anointed One. That man's only part in his Salvation shall be by faith--not any deeds performed by him. IN OTHER WORDS SALVATION WOULD BE A GIFT FROM GOD THE FATHER..
I do not expect you to see, believe or understand unless you are Christian but all that happened in the Old Testament was the lead up to the only way salvation was going to ever be had my friend..
This is what true preachers teach and what my studies of the bible for over 40 years reveals to me.
The big difference--(Ive mentioned countless times before) is that Islam has had no reformation(no new testament) and is designed to never have one--hence the death penalty for apostasy.', the death penalty for blasphemy etc.. -Tyr

I know you weren't disavowing the OT. What I'm saying is "regardless of whatever lessons modern christians assign to the OT, the OT is chock-FULL of the death of THOUSANDS of innocents; some of those by the hand of God himself."

When you write things like "I don't expect you to understand.." it can come across condescending; a trait a Christian cannot have.

Side note: If Salvation is a gift and not by ANY deeds, then one wouldn't need to even admit belief in the gift - because that is a 'deed', no? It's a verb like 'walking' or 'fixing a woman's broken heater' or whatever else. If humanity is indeed saved by Christ's sacrifice, doesn't matter what they say they believe or what they in fact believe because everyone is already paid-for. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I know you weren't disavowing the OT. What I'm saying is "regardless of whatever lessons modern christians assign to the OT, the OT is chock-FULL of the death of THOUSANDS of innocents; some of those by the hand of God himself."

When you write things like "I don't expect you to understand.." it can come across condescending; a trait a Christian cannot have.

Side note: If Salvation is a gift and not by ANY deeds, then one wouldn't need to even admit belief in the gift - because that is a 'deed', no? It's a verb like 'walking' or 'fixing a woman's broken heater' or whatever else. If humanity is indeed saved by Christ's sacrifice, doesn't matter what they say they believe or what they in fact believe because everyone is already paid-for. :)

No condescension intended. That was added because I think a large amount of faith is necessary to accept and believe what I was saying. If not Christian that lack of faith would lead one to dismiss a large part of my reasoning IMHO. Added as merely a clarifier my friend.
The God of the Old and the New testaments is the same. One was how his people were dealt with before his gift the other during after the gift came.
It is a matter of faith to understand that the Old Testament is a lesson in futility. A lesson that was being taught to the Jews. A lesson they still have not learned but that's another topic.
When Islam is compared with Christianity the glaring difference is seen in the fact that Christianity wages no war to conquer the world by violence while Islam does. In fact, the muslims are commanded to do so by verses in the Koran. While no such verses exist in the New TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE. Point of fact, verses in the New Testament exist that make it clear that violence is not the answer, not the way..

As to admitting acceptance to others, that is not a requirement for Salvation but is necessary to testify to the world if and when one shares the gift or seeks to help others find the light. I am totally against any form of forcible witnessing and/or conversion.. Hence, I never do such.. Only admitting required is the sincere admitting Jesus is the Son of God, the SAVIOR AND accepting him as one's personal savior. ..
I may discuss the bible and even defend it but have never attempted to witness here to anybody unless they give me a reason to believe they desire it..
Besides, I am not a preacher nor even a regular church goer. Once decades ago I attended church every Sunday and Wednesday night and studied deeply the bible.
Myself, often a poor example because of my personality and problem with anger issues I've had since age 15(my dad's death)..
Thus, I am reluctant to present myself as an example of anything but stubbornness and relentless repetition of the principles taught me by my father , grandfather and schooling, with another 40+ years tacked on of reading and collecting of books. -Tyr

Drummond
11-14-2014, 11:45 AM
That points out even more about today's society. I think a lot of religious books have some "bad" things in them from way back when. But primarily there is only one religious group out there today, on a mass scale, still following the violence from within these books. While I wouldn't debate what is in Christian books and such, I am glad that Christians/Catholics and such aren't out there today killing on a mass scale, or being violent based on the book, or subjugating women or looking to dominate the world.

Whether the bible, quran or any other book - I think it's the people who read them, and what they do with these words, and how they are as a people, that's what matters most. The quran can be the worst book on earth, but if Muslims were truly peaceful and good people, then the book wouldn't matter. Same with Christians. The book can be the greatest on earth, but if the people read it, and for whatever reason there are millions and millions that are radicalized, and killing and getting violent...

IMO, it's the people, society and actions...

That's a good point about the quality of the people. But then again, why do we see conversions happen by seemingly 'normal' people, followed by a desire to go 'Jihadding' in some faraway country they've never before visited ?

So the book matters. It may not be all that matters by any means. But it is important to the process, undoubtedly.

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 01:13 PM
I do not expect you to see, believe or understand unless you are Christian

No condescension intended. That was added because I think a large amount of faith is necessary to accept and believe what I was saying. If not Christian that lack of faith would lead one to dismiss a large part of my reasoning IMHO. Added as merely a clarifier my friend.

Just for further clarification - Darin is definitely a Christian. He may not discuss and enter religious topics as much as he used to back in the day, but he's quite knowledgeable about Christianity and the bible. That doesn't mean others don't, as it seems you ALL know more than I do! Was just making sure you guys "knew" one another going forward. :)

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 01:23 PM
That's a good point about the quality of the people. But then again, why do we see conversions happen by seemingly 'normal' people, followed by a desire to go 'Jihadding' in some faraway country they've never before visited ?

So the book matters. It may not be all that matters by any means. But it is important to the process, undoubtedly.

No doubt at all that the book matters. I certainly didn't mean to imply that it didn't matter at all. Of course ANY wording that lends a hand to radicalism can definitely push someone in that direction. But I do think that if someone reads a book and goes radical, they weren't seemingly normal as some may have thought. But I also think generations and generations of radicalism help sway, as well as society as a whole as they know it. But in no way does that absolve the book of its importance. But I suppose my point was similar to violent movies. Many people feel others kill and get violent - because they read violent books or watch violent shows. If that were true I would be a mass serial killer! But it didn't turn me. But now, if my parents were a little off, my neighborhood cheered radicals, my uncle's friend joined al qaeda, society runs on Sharia and all I've ever know was violence, subjugation, murder & hearing radical crap from imams - I may be more susceptible to being radicalized by simply reading. Make sense?

Just realized you were likely referring to someone not Muslim who perhaps read the quran or entries, and left a place like the UK in order to join ISIS, for example. Yeah, that's fucked. I don't have many answers about those folks. I've read a bunch of them stories now. I can 'almost' understand if someone bails to go to Syria and help others - but to do so via joining ISIS?

And for the record - I think once someone joins ISIS, they too become a target. "You are either with us or against us" <----- and joining the enemy surely qualifies as being against us.

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Apparently it didn't go off without a hitch. I disagree with this woman's actions. These folks were invited here and I don't see where anyone acted inappropriately to deserve such heckling. I understand her stance, but not the heckling.

--------

Washington Cathedral’s first Muslim prayer service interrupted by heckler

In a corner of Washington National Cathedral, several hundred Muslim worshipers and other invited guests gathered Friday afternoon for a first-ever recitation of weekly Muslim prayers at the iconic Christian sanctuary and to hear leaders of both faiths call for religious unity in the face of extremist violence and hate.

The Arabic call to prayer echoed among the vaulted stone arches and faded away, followed by an impassioned sermon from Ebrahim Rasool, a Muslim scholar who is South Africa’s ambassador to the United States. Rasool called on Muslims, Christians and others to come together and make “common cause” in the fight against extremists who appropriate Islam.

“We come to this cathedral with sensitivity and humility but keenly aware that it is not a time for platitudes, because mischief is threatening the world,” Rasool said. “The challenge for us today is to reconstitute a middle ground of good people . . . whose very existence threatens extremism.”

The event was closed to the public, and there was heavy security, with police checking every name and bag. Organizers from several area Muslim institutions said there had been concerns about security and threats after the event was publicized and that they and cathedral officials wanted to limit it to a small and selected group.

Nevertheless, the carefully scripted ceremony was marred once when one well-dressed, middle-age woman in the audience suddenly rose and began shouting that “America was founded on Christian principles. . . . Leave our church alone!” She was swiftly ushered out by security aides, and the service continued.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2014/11/14/40c49d06-6c41-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Just for further clarification - Darin is definitely a Christian. He may not discuss and enter religious topics as much as he used to back in the day, but he's quite knowledgeable about Christianity and the bible. That doesn't mean others don't, as it seems you ALL know more than I do! Was just making sure you guys "knew" one another going forward. :)

Yes, I was clarifying that my comment he spoke of was in no way intended to be insulting or condescending. Ive never had nor never will have a heated exchange with another Christian. If we interpret bible verses differently its just the way it is..

I will discuss for learning purposes but not ever for demeaning purposes .

My contention that allowing the muslims in has spiritual and Christian/biblical basis. Christians are warned NOT TO DO SO... -Tyr

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/kjv/eze008.htm

King James Version: Ezekiel Chapter 8

1 And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell there upon me.

2 Then I beheld, and lo a likeness as the appearance of fire: from the appearance of his loins even downward, fire; and from his loins even upward, as the appearance of brightness, as the colour of amber.

3 And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.

4 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

5 Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.

6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.

7 And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.

8 Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.

9 And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.

10 So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.

11 And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.

12 Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the LORD seeth us not; the LORD hath forsaken the earth.

13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.

14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.

16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.

18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.

16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.

Verse 16 ,definitely points to the muslims. Other verses in the bible tell not to invite in darkness , etc. -Tyr
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.midwestoutreach.org/mcoijournal/embracing-other-religions/comment-page-1/

We can be assured the Bible excludes “others” from being sources of truth. Jesus tells us in John 17:17 that “… Thy Word [Bible] is truth.”

In Psalm 119:160, the psalmist wrote, “Thy word is true from the beginning.” The source of truth for mankind is the Bible of Christianity. No other religious text completely agrees with the Bible, where they contradict the Bible, they are not the truth. There is one truth (from God), and there are many false ideas (from men). Truth is exclusive.

Inclusiveness unites all belief systems. It adheres to common ground while ignoring disparity. But, areas of disagreement cannot be overlooked. It is the disagreement that distinguishes truth from error. The “common ground” of love and compassion are now allowing false ideologies to be preached as the “truth of Jesus,” so that even the elect are being deceived (See Matt. 24:24).

All religions living in unity is a farce. “Can two walk together except they be agreed?” (Amos 3:3) There is no unity between contradicting beliefs no matter how long the two pretend to agree with their disagreement. The result of this union only forces Christianity to abdicate principles vital to truth.

Inclusiveness

Salvation from eternal death is available for those who exclusively adhere to the truth of God’s Word in the essentials. But, God will take “vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2Thess. 1:8) Jesus is the only way to the Father (John 14:6). Sadly, a person who does not believe these narrow/essential teachings will face eternal punishment. This narrowness in the essentials is part of the “simplicity” of the Gospel which Paul feared would be “corrupted” just “as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety.” (2Cor. 11:3)

The new Emergent Christianity—which is now trying to submerge true Christianity—is suggesting to church-goers that Jesus can be found on any path and/or by reading any text. Assured Christians who know there is only one view of truth are being advised to adjust their thinking. Old alleged “assumptions” of truth are being re-evaluated. The new inclusiveness is said to “sweeten what you already believe” giving it “collective strength” gathered from other viewpoints.

However, confusion is the result of believing several viewpoints. Think how contradictory and even fatal it would be for a person to believe several differing viewpoints of gravity. Giving credibility to someone else’s viewpoint just for the sake of peace is really no peace at all if that concession ends in death. It is obvious the only right and true way to approach life, either physically, and especially spiritually, is to approach life truthfully.

On a side note, we must remember Paul’s advice to be “all things to all men.” (1Cor. 9:22) Christians should be the first to relinquish their personal viewpoints if discussing irrelevant opinions. We are to turn our cheek (Matt. 5:39) without defense when we are personally rejected or mistreated. Our opinions in everyday life do not matter as we should please others and yield to their opinions, putting our desires last. But, when truth is at stake, let the sword of truth be unashamedly waved.

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes, I was clarifying that my comment he spoke of was in no way intended to be insulting or condescending. Ive never had nor never will have a heated exchange with another Christian. If we interpret bible verses differently its just the way it is..

I will discuss for learning purposes but not ever for demeaning purposes .

My contention that allowing the muslims in has spiritual and Christian/biblical basis. Christians are warned NOT TO DO SO... -Tyr

All's good! I just wanted to make sure you knew that Darin was a Christian. It sounded like you were unsure as to whether he was or not.

5stringJeff
11-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Sorry... I must have missed the lack of mosques in America in general and the DC metro area in particular that forced the Muslims in that city to be forced to use a Christian cathedral for their prayer times. (/sarcasm)

Seriously, though, why is a Christian church opening its doors for a different religion's use? It's plain from any reading of both the Quran and the Bible that the religions are mutually exclusive.

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Sorry... I must have missed the lack of mosques in America in general and the DC metro area in particular that forced the Muslims in that city to be forced to use a Christian cathedral for their prayer times. (/sarcasm)

Seriously, though, why is a Christian church opening its doors for a different religion's use? It's plain from any reading of both the Quran and the Bible that the religions are mutually exclusive.

Jeff!! Awesome to see a post from you! Every time I see or hear anything about West Point I immediately think of you. :)

5stringJeff
11-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Jeff!! Awesome to see a post from you! Every time I see or hear anything about West Point I immediately think of you. :)

Thanks Jim! I saw the FB post from Trinity and realized it had been a while since I had popped back in here.

DLT
11-15-2014, 06:43 PM
I've seen similar by me, and even attended an "outreach" type of initiative, where folks were welcome to come, break bread and learn. I also have no issue with allowing them to share a prayer with Catholics.

BUT, I have extreme doubt that a single mosque on the entire earth would perform similar as this story. That is, allowing Christians into their mosque to hold their own services. I think it would make huge strides if a few mosques announced similarly and made similar invitations. Maybe pigs will fly and I'll be wrong on this one.

I would advise you not to hold your breath for that to ever happen.