PDA

View Full Version : European probe lands on comet

Drummond
11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30026398

European robot probe Philae has made the first, historic landing on a comet, after descending from its mothership.

The lander touched down on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko at about 1605 GMT.

There were cheers and hugs at the control room in Darmstadt, Germany, after the signal was confirmed.

It was designed to shine a light on some of the mysteries of these icy relics from the formation of the Solar System.

"THIS IS A BIG STEP FOR HUMAN CIVILISATION" said Jean-Jacques Dordain, the director-general of the European Space Agency (Esa).

He may be referring to the total lack of mosques built (as yet) on this astronomical body.

The free flow of immigration has yet to be established, however.

Bilgerat
11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
A post from Rush Limbaugh

Did you see where the European Space Agency has landed an unmanned vehicle on a streaking comet? That is pretty cool. Man, oh, man. It made me remember when we used to have a space program in this country. It made me remember when we used to do stuff like that.

SassyLady
11-12-2014, 09:23 PM

That's what I thought as well.

Drummond
11-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Point taken, I suppose. Still ... America has achieved things that the rest of the world can only dream of. You've an enormous amount to be proud of !!

revelarts
11-12-2014, 10:47 PM
I predict that the idea of comets will change drastically OR they will claim "a few" surprises.

but if you look at the data you'll find things that make a BIG difference.
Comets are very interesting.

KarlMarx
11-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Yes, it will be nice to have a space program that is more than hitching a ride from our friends, the totalitarian Russian Republic

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner