PDA

View Full Version : Gaffer and Trinity

jimnyc
11-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Gaffer has been a member and around with some of us for many years. In case some of you were unaware, the other member posting as "Trinity" is his daughter. Gaffer has been diagnosed with cancer. Trinity is busting her ass behind the scenes to help Dad and go to doctors and hospitals.

What if all of us were neighbors? What would we do to help at a time like this? Maybe bring over some warm dinners when they don't have the time to cook. Drop off some rented movies they can share together but didn't have time to prepare things. Maybe help a little so that getting the next set of medications is just a little bit easier. Maybe even just offer a ride so that they save some gas....

I would like for the DP community to do our part from afar. I don't know about everyone else, but Gaffer and Trinity mean more to me than my neighbors. :) I sure wish I was a neighbor to them though, so that I could do my little part to help make even one day a little easier for them. But we can still help. I would like to have a fund drive for a week or two (not everyone is here every day) and get a little something off to them that can help. I'm thinking a gift card is best, with a card, with a list of hints on what WE would do if we were there to help in person.

So please, if you can... At the top of the board - in the center - you will see the DONATE button with a list of credit cards beneath it. You can donate with your Paypal account or with your credit card, and no joining of Paypal is necessary. *** When making this donation - PLEASE put your name in the comments section. I don't always know by the email address donating. Also, PLEASE put in the comments section what it is you would do or get for them if you were there. This will just help me with our ideas is all. ***

I will be meticulous with record keeping. I will hold onto screenshots of all donations. I will also take photos of the gift card prior to mailing. Not entirely necessary, but just so that everyone is assured that 100% of this is for them. I can even let DMP log into my Paypal account after the fact for verification if necessary.

The amount doesn't matter. Every little bit matters and helps.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?47503-2014-worst-year-of-my-life

jimnyc
11-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Ok, our first donation has been received, and 2nd if you count my own. :)

I hope others will follow suit. Hopefully we can get something out there to them, sooner than later. Just a small something would be nice, whatever anyone can do. I've always stated that our community was like a small family, and I still believe that. Let's do what we can to show them we care.

Sir Evil
11-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Talk to you everday and not aware of this being underway. Thanks for the heads up bean bag! :slap:

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Talk to you everday and not aware of this being underway. Thanks for the heads up bean bag! :slap:

You read the thread this morning, consider that your heads up! LOL Also, we DID speak earlier, but you had to go to the bank. I should be more important than your money!!

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 11:54 AM
I wanted to add a little something. This isn't about recognition or amounts. But I wanted to point out the first person from yesterday. The first person to donate after placing this thread up here was RSR aka Red States Rule. Somehow he got wind of this and immediately made a donation. I think this shows the effect Gaffer has had one some over the years. Now I'm not going to list names as we go along, but I thought it cool how that played out and thought I would share. I'm sure it will mean a lot to Gaffer to see the lasting effects AND respect he has left with some.

hjmick
11-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Being house poor sucks.

Just know that my current inability to contribute to the effort is indicative of nothing other than being house poor.

Trinity, I know first what it is you are going through, though there was no option for chemo for my dad. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you. Hang tough.

Gaffer, fight and don't stop fighting. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you.

Abbey Marie
11-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Most of us know that Terry (RSR) is good people. Anyone who is in touch with him, please say hello for me.

jimnyc
11-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Being house poor sucks.

Just know that my current inability to contribute to the effort is indicative of nothing other than being house poor.

Trinity, I know first what it is you are going through, though there was no option for chemo for my dad. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you. Hang tough.

Gaffer, fight and don't stop fighting. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you.

Like I always said, we're like a big family here. Not everyone can always chip in at all times. Timing is a bitch sometimes. I think your well wishes will be more than enough when Gaffer reads this. Like another friend told me recently, which we all heard a million times - its the thought that counts. And don't feel bad, I'm Mr. Mom on this side and mainly live off of my tiny allowance. :)

jimnyc
11-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Most of us know that Terry (RSR) is good people. Anyone who is in touch with him, please say hello for me.

Hopefully he'll be reading this and the other threads. I had a few back and forth with him and even told him I was going to mention him here, as his quick donation took me off guard. I'll be sure to tell him as well should we mail anymore. And hell yeah, while we have had our differences at times, Terry was always decent people.

Jeff
11-16-2014, 07:05 AM

Yes he is and please give a hello for me, and tell him to stop in I miss him

Jeff
11-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Like I always said, we're like a big family here. Not everyone can always chip in at all times. Timing is a bitch sometimes. I think your well wishes will be more than enough when Gaffer reads this. Like another friend told me recently, which we all heard a million times - its the thought that counts. And don't feel bad, I'm Mr. Mom on this side and mainly live off of my tiny allowance. :)

Dam, most wish they made what your tiny allowance is :laugh:

jimnyc
11-16-2014, 07:10 AM
Dam, most wish they made what your tiny allowance is :laugh:

Keep in mind, I'm in New York. My allowance generally lasts less than a day!!

Jeff
11-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Keep in mind, I'm in New York. My allowance generally lasts less than a day!!

Now that Little Brother is a personal problem , they do make U hauls up there as well don't they ? :laugh:

PixieStix
11-16-2014, 11:45 AM

I so wish I could give. I may be able to give a little something in a couple of weeks. I have had to take a couple of trips to Alabama and West Virginia. That has really been a blow to my bank account.

All I have to give at this point is my continued prayer and my support.

I know what they are going through.

Jeff
11-16-2014, 01:41 PM
I so wish I could give. I may be able to give a little something in a couple of weeks. I have had to take a couple of trips to Alabama and West Virginia. That has really been a blow to my bank account.

All I have to give at this point is my continued prayer and my support.

I know what they are going through.

That is more important than all the money one could send !!

jimnyc
11-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Bumping this thread as a reminder. I know not everyone can, but IF you can, I can't think of a better cause! Even small donations can be made with Paypal, or any credit card, whether you have a Paypal account or not. I'll probably run this through Thanksgiving, and perhaps the weekend just after, to give enough time.

So repeating from my first post above:

So please, if you can... At the top of the board - in the center - you will see the DONATE button with a list of credit cards beneath it. You can donate with your Paypal account or with your credit card, and no joining of Paypal is necessary. *** When making this donation - PLEASE put your name in the comments section. I don't always know by the email address donating. Also, PLEASE put in the comments section what it is you would do or get for them if you were there. This will just help me with our ideas is all. ***

Abbey Marie
11-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Jim, I didn't specify what to do with the donation, but I'm perfectly happy with whatever Trinity feels is appropriate for her and Gaffer.

jimnyc
11-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Bumping again... I would say we have about one week left, and all of you bastards better start reaching for your wallets or credit cards!! :salute: :beer:

jimnyc
11-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Paypal has no minimum. One can send a donation of $1 if they wanted to. Yep, that's right, I'm a pain in the ass about this one! Even if everyone donated a single buck or two, it would prove the "family" environment I have bragged about for years here at DP. Less than a week to go now. Please consider a small donation if you can. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Paypal has no minimum. One can send a donation of $1 if they wanted to. Yep, that's right, I'm a pain in the ass about this one! Even if everyone donated a single buck or two, it would prove the "family" environment I have bragged about for years here at DP. Less than a week to go now. Please consider a small donation if you can. :)

I HAVE RESPONDED AND MADE MY CONTRIBUTION.
I am just sorry that it couldn't be much more.
I hope and pray more members see it in their hearts to give , and give the max they can. I gave the max that I could afford and it was an honor to do that much for my friends Gaffer and Trinity. Having just went thru similar with my brother-in-law I know how hard this is on Gaffer and his family , and just how costly.
Please contribute...--Tyr

jimnyc
12-01-2014, 12:23 PM
I've ended our little fund drive. I used the funding to purchase gift cards to send to Trinity. I've been in contact with her and explained all of the details and when she can expect all of the cards. I know we can't raise enough to build them a new house... but Trinity will be using the money to help see Dad who is 50 miles or so away from her. And hopefully some things to bring a smile to Dad's face. Helping bring family together, literally, that's what it's all about. I can't think of anything at all that would top that.

In public and in private you have all, at one time or another, heard me refer to many of you as part of the DP family, and that were are like a small family, and that we even fight like a family and all of that stuff. I always meant every last word of it, and still do. We got this horrible news, and family did the best they could to help out other members of our family here. I can't tell you guys how awesome that is, that we all met online, and became good enough friends to be willing to help out in such a time of need. Between prayers, kind words, offers of assistance and opening up wallets - this shows the true nature of our community. I'm glad to call all of you family and friends!! :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-01-2014, 07:29 PM
I've ended our little fund drive. I used the funding to purchase gift cards to send to Trinity. I've been in contact with her and explained all of the details and when she can expect all of the cards. I know we can't raise enough to build them a new house... but Trinity will be using the money to help see Dad who is 50 miles or so away from her. And hopefully some things to bring a smile to Dad's face. Helping bring family together, literally, that's what it's all about. I can't think of anything at all that would top that.

In public and in private you have all, at one time or another, heard me refer to many of you as part of the DP family, and that were are like a small family, and that we even fight like a family and all of that stuff. I always meant every last word of it, and still do. We got this horrible news, and family did the best they could to help out other members of our family here. I can't tell you guys how awesome that is, that we all met online, and became good enough friends to be willing to help out in such a time of need. Between prayers, kind words, offers of assistance and opening up wallets - this shows the true nature of our community. I'm glad to call all of you family and friends!! :)

By far the most worthy cause that I've contributed to in over a decade. My regret was in not being able right now to do more.
So great to see that others gave to help out. And thanks goes to Jim for doing his part.. :beer:--Tyr

Trinity
12-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Words can not describe what I am feeling right now. You guys are so freaking awesome!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you, regardless of what you did, prayers, thoughts, donation. It all means so very much to me. :salute:

Dad is doing as best as can be expected, he is pretty much bed ridden now. It hurts him to much to get up and move around. But I am hoping that maybe I can possibly take him somewhere to do something he really wants to do. Even if its just a car ride somewhere special to him, at this point I am down for whatever he wants to do.

I will continue to keep you all posted as often as I can.

Love you guys!