PDA

View Full Version : Parents Ordered to Pay Estranged Daughter's College Tuition

jimnyc
11-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Yes, parents are 100% responsible for their CHILDREN. We are here to love and nurture our children, and to prepare them for the real world ahead of them. But this girl is 21 years old. She didn't want to listen to rules and moved out. And then sues her own parents? I wonder how much money these parents spend to get this girl to legal age. It starts with food and diapers and hospital bills, and it literally costs parents each and every day.

This girl is now an adult, and IMO her parents should no longer be legally and financially responsible for her. I think this ruling is bullshit.

--------

A New Jersey woman has successfully sued her estranged parents to pay for her college tuition.

A judge in Camden County, New Jersey, ruled that Caitlyn Ricci's biological parents will have to cough up $16,000 each year so Ricci, 21, can continue classes across the Delaware River at Temple University in Pennsylvania, ABC News station WPVI in Philadelphia reported.

The parents' attorney is appealing the judge's decision, her mother, Maura McGarvey, told ABC News. She said she's shocked her own daughter would sue her.

"Of course, it's not anything you ever imagine," she said between tears. "I feel like I tried very hard to raise my child right."

McGarvey said she learned Caitlyn was suing her and her ex-husband when the court papers arrived on the Friday before Mother's Day 2013.

The parents had already filed a motion to emancipate their daughter.

Ricci's parents' marriage only lasted two-and-a-half years. Caitlyn lived with her mother but also saw her father, the couple said.

"She comes from two loving families and she was given what she wanted when she was growing up," her father, Michael Ricci, told WPVI.

McGarvey described her daughter as a rebellious teenager who left home and moved in with her grandparents in February because she didn't want to follow her mother's rules, putting stress on the family's relationship. She said the only time she has seen her daughter since she started at Temple University was in a courtroom.

"She packed her stuff and moved in with my ex-in-laws," McGarvey said.

Caitlyn’s attorney, Andrew Rochester, told ABC News she was unavailable for comment. He told WPVI her parents were to blame for the separation.

https://gma.yahoo.com/parents-ordered-pay-estranged-daughters-college-tuition-202430570--abc-news-topstories.html

darin
11-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Mother FUCKER. That judge is a piece of work to be sure.

This may set precident - ANY child can sue their parent or parents for a college education. My parents didn't pay for any college I've taken. I earned my tuition the old fashioned way - I joined the Army.

Trigg
11-14-2014, 10:33 AM
I've known a couple of people in this situation. Divorced parents HAVE to pay for their children's college, but stay married and you are under no legal obligation to help what so ever. Odd

darin
11-14-2014, 12:50 PM
I've known a couple of people in this situation. Divorced parents HAVE to pay for their children's college, but stay married and you are under no legal obligation to help what so ever. Odd

..if ONLY that is written into the agreement, no?

gabosaurus
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Mother FUCKER. That judge is a piece of work to be sure.

This may set precident - ANY child can sue their parent or parents for a college education. My parents didn't pay for any college I've taken. I earned my tuition the old fashioned way - I joined the Army.

This kind of ruling would have to depend on the parents' financial situation. I could not have sued my parents for tuition because they didn't have the money.
My sister and I also earned tuition the old fashioned way -- we got scholarships. :cool:

jimnyc
11-14-2014, 02:17 PM
This kind of ruling would have to depend on the parents' financial situation. I could not have sued my parents for tuition because they didn't have the money.
My sister and I also earned tuition the old fashioned way -- we got scholarships. :cool:

You and your sister did it the right way.

But what you wrote originally, about the parents financial situation. The problem with that is that it implies if the parents have money, they should in fact be responsible. I disagree with that. I think if they decide to give assistance to their child's education, that's awesome. But it shouldn't be an entitlement, or automatically rule in a kids favor simply because the parents have money. Even if the parents are super rich, if the kid refuses to follow rules and moves out instead, they shouldn't have to continue to support this now adult child of theirs.

gabosaurus
11-14-2014, 02:25 PM
You and your sister did it the right way.

But what you wrote originally, about the parents financial situation. The problem with that is that it implies if the parents have money, they should in fact be responsible. I disagree with that. I think if they decide to give assistance to their child's education, that's awesome. But it shouldn't be an entitlement, or automatically rule in a kids favor simply because the parents have money. Even if the parents are super rich, if the kid refuses to follow rules and moves out instead, they shouldn't have to continue to support this now adult child of theirs.

You are absolutely correct. I can't see how a judge can force a parent to pay tuition for an adult child unless there was some preestablished agreement.
My parents told me when I was in 9th grade that I had two options when I got out of high school. I could get a job and move out, or I could get some sort of financial aid and attend college.
I talk to entitled kids on a daily basis about being responsible, because their parents don't have to provide for them after they turn 18.

jimnyc
11-14-2014, 02:32 PM
You are absolutely correct. I can't see how a judge can force a parent to pay tuition for an adult child unless there was some preestablished agreement.
My parents told me when I was in 9th grade that I had two options when I got out of high school. I could get a job and move out, or I could get some sort of financial aid and attend college.
I talk to entitled kids on a daily basis about being responsible, because their parents don't have to provide for them after they turn 18.

I was basically on my own as soon as I got out of HS. I got a student loan and pell grants for 2 different schools. Same as getting a car, my first one was a piece of shit which cost $20, and I paid for my own gas. Yeah, its great that so many parents are able to help their kids and pay for such things, but it's not an entitlement. I also believe that it helps a kid to an extent. Learning at an early age to be responsible, to save, to learn finances and prepare to be on your own.

darin
11-14-2014, 02:39 PM

If I have the money to pay for my kids College "education", and choose not to, should my kids' be allowed to sue me for the money? Are kids ENTITLED to be indoctrinated by today's universities and colleges? If so, who gets to choose which money pit my kids should attend? If I write the check, is it me?

This whole case smells of horseshit. :(