PDA

View Full Version : Faith closes the mind. It is pure idol worship.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Faith closes the mind. It is pure idol worship.

Faith is a way to quit using, "God given" power of Reason and Logic, and cause the faithful to embrace doctrines that moral people reject.

The God of the O.T. says, “Come now, and let us reason together,” [Isaiah 1:18]

How can literalists reason with God when they must ignore reason and logic and discard them when turning into literalist?

Those who are literalists can only reply somewhat in the fashion that Martin Luther did.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

This attitude effectively kills all worthy communication that non-theists can have with theist. Faith closes the mind as it is pure idol worship.

Literalism is an evil practice that hides the true messages of myths.

We cannot show our faith based friends that they are wrong through their faith colored glasses.

Regards
DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_3zBUKM8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_3zBUKM8)

jimnyc
11-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Can you please stop changing the font on your posts. It's difficult to read the body of your posts and decipher what to reply to, if anything at all. It's not necessary to use alternate font in every post.

Abbey Marie
11-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Can you please stop changing the font on your posts. It's difficult to read the body of your posts and decipher what to reply to, if anything at all. It's not necessary to use alternate font in every post.

Perhaps our friend is minimizing the font, because he is secretly ashamed of his Christian-phobic posts?
:smoke:

5stringJeff
11-15-2014, 06:28 PM

Faith is a way to quit using, "God given" power of Reason and Logic, and cause the faithful to embrace doctrines that moral people reject.

How can literalists reason with God when they must ignore reason and logic and discard them when turning into literalist?

Those who are literalists can only reply somewhat in the fashion that Martin Luther did.

This attitude effectively kills all worthy communication that non-theists can have with theist. Faith closes the mind as it is pure idol worship.

We cannot show our faith based friends that they are wrong through their faith colored glasses.

Regards
DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_3zBUKM8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_3zBUKM8)

Greetings.

You err in this post because you have followed Peter Boghossian's error of redefining faith as 'belief without evidence.' Faith, as defined in the Bible (and specifically with the NT use of the word pistis) means believing on the basis of the reliability of the one trusted, or pertaining to being worthy of belief or trust. In other words, the belief is justified. Even the apostles' faith was justified through their own interactions with Jesus after His resurrection (see Acts 1:3). So to say that Christians believe in God, Christ, Scripture, etc. without justification or warrant is simply false.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Greetings.

You err in this post because you have followed Peter Boghossian's error of redefining faith as 'belief without evidence.' Faith, as defined in the Bible (and specifically with the NT use of the word pistis) means believing on the basis of the reliability of the one trusted, or pertaining to being worthy of belief or trust. In other words, the belief is justified. Even the apostles' faith was justified through their own interactions with Jesus after His resurrection (see Acts 1:3). So to say that Christians believe in God, Christ, Scripture, etc. without justification or warrant is simply false.

Only if the justification can be shown as acceptable.

Show the justification for your belief.

Regards
DL

aboutime
11-15-2014, 08:59 PM
I have total faith, and belief, that Gnostic is just FULL OF CRAP. No need to prove it. It just is. Faithfully, exact, and true.

Abbey Marie
11-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Greetings.

Jeff, I lost faith that I would ever see you here again. :O

GREAT to see you!

BoogyMan
11-15-2014, 09:30 PM

Regards
DL

Why should anyone justify their faith to you? Faith is a combination of hope and expectation and is between God and the individual. To demand that a man justify his faith is arrogance on an enormous scale.

KarlMarx
11-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Here's the the problem with people like Agnostic

1. They assume that Man possesses all knowledge and, thus, can use pure logic to come to conclusions

2. It's not that they don't believe in God as much as they don't believe in Faith. If you have to prove something to someone before they'll believe then it ceases being faith

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

NightTrain
11-16-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6833&stc=1

aboutime
11-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Someone should tell Gnostic the truth. Nobody has to justify, explain, or make excuses to anyone with such a closed mind.

As I have told hundreds of other members of other forums over many years.

Other than my dedication to my belief, and faith in God. There is nobody alive who I am willing to claim responsibility to, nor to explain my faith except. That One person who is willing to step forward, and pay all of my bills until the day I die.

That will be the ONE, and ONLY other human being I will pay any attention to, for any reason.

So. GNOSTIC. "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

5stringJeff
11-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Jeff, I lost faith that I would ever see you here again. :O

GREAT to see you!

Thanks Abbey! Great to see you too!

5stringJeff
11-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Regards
DL

For which belief? The belief that God exists? The belief that Jesus rose from the dead? The belief that the Scriptures are reliable witnesses to the things they speak to?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
For which belief? The belief that God exists? The belief that Jesus rose from the dead? The belief that the Scriptures are reliable witnesses to the things they speak to?

If those are what you believe then yes.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Why should anyone justify their faith to you? Faith is a combination of hope and expectation and is between God and the individual. To demand that a man justify his faith is arrogance on an enormous scale.

Faith without works and deeds is dead. I asked for a deed to justify as Jesus did and you do not like that.

It is not justification to me that I asked but the justification he used for himself.

Regards
DL

revelarts
11-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Here's the the problem with people like Agnostic

1. They assume that Man possesses all knowledge and, thus, can use pure logic to come to conclusions

2. It's not that they don't believe in God as much as they don't believe in Faith. If you have to prove something to someone before they'll believe then it ceases being faith

also at base The other problem with Gnot-a-christian is that he's selective, inconsistent and self contradictory in his application of "reason" and "logic".

Claiming secret spiritual knowledge into the REAL meanings of things while denying anyone else has any connection to any real info or knowledge of spiritual or historical matters that can be brought to bear on a objective level to consider.

revelarts
11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Greetings.

Well said but he doesn't seem to really grasp the concept.
Or allow for facts, history, logic, other evidence to move the argument anywhere near an honest reasonable discussion.

He draws a circle around what he considers valid and wants people to stand within it and "prove" him wrong. the rest of reality is not allowed in his discussion.

BoogyMan
11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Faith without works and deeds is dead. I asked for a deed to justify as Jesus did and you do not like that.

It is not justification to me that I asked but the justification he used for himself.

Regards
DL

Nowhere did you mention works and you demanded that we justify our belief. You cannot quote from James chapter 2 and do so completely outside the context of the text then take a victory lap. You built a literalist strawman and railed at it based on your own assumptions.

At least be honest about your claims and aims.

5stringJeff
11-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Out of curiosity, since you made this claim: are you stating that there is no part of the Bible that should be taken literally? Or are you stating that there are parts of the Bible that are commonly taken as literal that should not be taken so?

aboutime
11-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Out of curiosity, since you made this claim: are you stating that there is no part of the Bible that should be taken literally? Or are you stating that there are parts of the Bible that are commonly taken as literal that should not be taken so?

5stringJeff. Welcome back (I guess). This guy has no intentions of being anything other than a huge fishing lure. Trying to deposit turds of stupidity he feels will rile everybody up just enough to make him FEEL SUPERIOR.

The only literal thing Gnostic does is type on a keyboard. Everything else is his fantasy..of his own miserable design.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Claiming secret spiritual knowledge into the REAL meanings of things while denying anyone else has any connection to any real info or knowledge of spiritual or historical matters.

It is always easy for liars to win arguments.

Get the quote where I claim his. Liar.

Regards
DL

revelarts
11-18-2014, 08:43 AM
....... literalist fools who believe in fantasy, miracles and magic and love a genocidal son murdering prick of a God.

Regards
DL

It is always easy for liars to win arguments.

Get the quote where I claim his. Liar.

Regards
DL

DL you've posted SEVERAL links to youtube vids and pages which have speakers that claim to know the REAL meaning of various passages of the Bible or claim various esoteric info from others that are suppose to be corrective of traditional Christian understanding.

link (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?46609-Why-was-Adam-exempt-from-the-transgression-when-the-transgression-was-disobedience&p=704213#post704213) link (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?46025-Can-you-help-but-do-evil-I-do-not-see-how-Do-you)

am i lying?

or are you saying you don't believe what's in the links you posted?

I answered your question directly, time for you to reciprocated?

Am i lying?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Well said but he doesn't seem to really grasp the concept.
Or allow for facts, history, logic, other evidence to move the argument anywhere near an honest reasonable discussion.

He draws a circle around what he considers valid and wants people to stand within it and "prove" him wrong. the rest of reality is not allowed in his discussion.

Are you speaking about fj???;););)
OK, kidding aside---- --that was exactly what Jafar did here for years. Every site that listed verified deeds and facts of Islamic atrocities (past or current day) he treated as hate sites and dismissed that evidence as lies. That was his way of staying within his blind circle. --Tyr

fj1200
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Are you speaking about fj???

Trolling? Will you get called out? Nah, knuckleheads have neither consistency nor integrity. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Trolling? Will you get called out? Nah, knuckleheads have neither consistency nor integrity. :)

Lighten up Francis..

Are you speaking about fj???
OK, kidding aside----

Can't you take a joke???? -Tyr

DragonStryk72
11-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Regards
DL

You know, except for all of those pesky philosophers, free thinkers, and such that are also people of faith, like Galileo, Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Einstein, and oh yeah, Martin Luther. Sorry, but here again, you're just wrong. Some of the world's most open-minded thinkers have been men of faith, whether Christian or otherwise. Yeah, there have been total zealots as well, but that doesn't remove the number of people of faith who aren't zealots.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
DL you've posted SEVERAL links to youtube vids and pages which have speakers that claim to know the REAL meaning of various passages of the Bible or claim various esoteric info from others that are suppose to be corrective of traditional Christian understanding.

link (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?46609-Why-was-Adam-exempt-from-the-transgression-when-the-transgression-was-disobedience&p=704213#post704213) link (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?46025-Can-you-help-but-do-evil-I-do-not-see-how-Do-you)

am i lying?

or are you saying you don't believe what's in the links you posted?

I answered your question directly, time for you to reciprocated?

Am i lying?

There is a lot of information and issues. Am I supposed t guess what you are talking about?

When you decide to chat instead of trap we might talk.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-18-2014, 12:46 PM
You know, except for all of those pesky philosophers, free thinkers, and such that are also people of faith, like Galileo, Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Einstein, and oh yeah, Martin Luther. Sorry, but here again, you're just wrong. Some of the world's most open-minded thinkers have been men of faith, whether Christian or otherwise. Yeah, there have been total zealots as well, but that doesn't remove the number of people of faith who aren't zealots.

Faith and open minded does not compute.

You will not hear people of faith call God a prick for torturing King David's baby for 6 days before finally killing it because of his anger against David. Yet that is what God is. A baby murdering prick.

Thanks to faith, Christians will argue that God was justified thanks to their faith. Thus showing how faith not only closes the mind but also corrupts moral thinking.

Regards
DL

jimnyc
11-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Let's see who can figure this out, about the troll.

Hint #1

http://i.imgur.com/4ab7VS0.jpg

Hint #2

http://i.imgur.com/J2MLwB1.jpg

revelarts
11-18-2014, 01:44 PM
There is a lot of information and issues. Am I supposed t guess what you are talking about?

When you decide to chat instead of trap we might talk.

Regards
DL
OK 1st of all, please don't call me a liar again DL, especially since you can't back it up.
And since you're a brother of Jesus shouldn't you apologize as well?

2nd
Your not interested in talking DL.
you just want to bloviate and present false religious dilemmas that you can use to try to show others that they are wrong.

when others call you on your points you claim some foul
or you backhandly call "lame" any sound correction given you... then you run off.

Only to return days later with the SAME rinsed off load of Crap quotes.

I've asked you simple strait forward questions several time and you've refused to answer them, saying they are "a trap" or an insult.
but if someone fails to answer you, you ask for reciprocation and why they've run.
And then you often add strait forward insults to about poster's intelligence and their objects of faith.

You're not looking for a real conversation DL.
Don't fool yourself, you're certainly not fooling us.

fj1200
11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Lighten up Francis..

Can't you take a joke???? -Tyr

Of course, I read some of your posts. :)

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-18-2014, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the questions As expected.

To the rest. Here is a quarter call someone who cares.

Regards
DL

tailfins
11-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the questions As expected.

To the rest. Here is a quarter call someone who cares.

Regards
DL

If we give YOU a quarter, will you go away?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I have not quite given up on someone here having half a brain.

Regards
DL

aboutime
11-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I have not quite given up on someone here having half a brain.

Regards
DL

Yet you never fail to come here to reassure the rest of us how you operate with less than half. Like A QUARTER?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
11-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Yet you never fail to come here to reassure the rest of us how you operate with less than half. Like A QUARTER?

My quarter is twice as much as what I have seen here to date.

Regard
DL

aboutime
11-22-2014, 06:28 PM
My quarter is twice as much as what I have seen here to date.

Regard
DL

So, you must be the very FIRST quarter of a Vacuum. How quaint?

DragonStryk72
12-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Faith and open minded does not compute.

You will not hear people of faith call God a prick for torturing King David's baby for 6 days before finally killing it because of his anger against David. Yet that is what God is. A baby murdering prick.

Thanks to faith, Christians will argue that God was justified thanks to their faith. Thus showing how faith not only closes the mind but also corrupts moral thinking.

Regards
DL

Nope, sorry, no points this round. For your statement to be true, it would have to be full of shit as well. Think about it: This is your faith, and thus it is close-minded thinking, and thus, cannot actually be correct, according to the current line of bull you're slinging. Your only proof? A faithful person, Martin Luther. Ooops, um, looks like you built another house of straw, DL.

And we went over this, he didn't torture, he informed. Your faith closes your mind to the simple, clear language used, so that you can twist it to prove your own point. So, for the sake of brevity, assume we had this moronic argument again, and just fill it in from both you and me, with you eventually taking your ball and going home to throw up the next run of bullshit.

red states rule
12-05-2014, 04:52 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfvVQIKnA9Tk8xyCDZsdYIXnrIT_JPd _NORB9-3Xg-RHW6zXES