PDA

View Full Version : Is Racism tolerated on Debate Policy?

Rahul
06-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Is it? If so, why?

I have been called a number of names ever since I have joined this Forum, many with racist undertones, but the moderators seemingly do not edit them out, or issue sanctions against the most common violators.

There is also a thread going on in the Lounge which has a number of participants referring to Indians as "dotheads", but this behavior is seemingly tolerated. As are the constant references to 7-11, and other racially motivated insults.

So, my question to the Forum is: Is racism tolerated on here? If so, why?

All viewpoints would be most welcome.

Rahul

Said1
06-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't rally like you that much, Rahul, but I do have a problem with the name calling. That needs to stop. Other than that, you really get on my nerves and i agree with popular opinion. :laugh2:

Rahul
06-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't rally like you that much, Rahul,

That wasn't the point.

but I do have a problem with the name calling. That needs to stop.

I agree.

Other than that, you really get on my nerves and i agree with popular opinion. :laugh2:

So, do you always accuse those you disagree with of getting on your nerves?

Said1
06-24-2007, 01:16 PM
That wasn't the point.

:laugh2:

So, do you always accuse those you disagree with of getting on your nerves?

No.

OCA
06-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Is it? If so, why?

I have been called a number of names ever since I have joined this Forum, many with racist undertones, but the moderators seemingly do not edit them out, or issue sanctions against the most common violators.

There is also a thread going on in the Lounge which has a number of participants referring to Indians as "dotheads", but this behavior is seemingly tolerated. As are the constant references to 7-11, and other racially motivated insults.

So, my question to the Forum is: Is racism tolerated on here? If so, why?

All viewpoints would be most welcome.

Rahul

Do not many members of the Indian race have dots on their foreheads?

In America Indians and Sikhs own the vast majority of 7-11's.

These are merely factual observations and not racially motivated.

Same as most Greeks have big dicks and it would not be an insult to me to call me "big dick".:salute:

Rahul
06-24-2007, 01:21 PM

You keep calling others names, but add very little to any debate. Perhaps you should visit stormfront.org. You would probaly be more at home there. :)

OCA
06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
You keep calling others names, but add very little to any debate. Perhaps you should visit stormfront.org. You would probaly be more at home there. :)

I see I was right on the dot, all pun intended.

Stormfront LMFAO!:laugh2:

OCA
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Gandhi you've been smoked by me and about 10 others on the queer issue, its factually YOU who adds very little substance to this board.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Is it? If so, why? ...All viewpoints would be most welcome.

.... I've often noticed that the race card get played when the player lacks debate skills. It's happened yet again.:laugh2:

Rahul
06-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Gandhi you've been smoked by me and about 10 others on the queer issue,

This issue is not about homosexuals. It is about racism on Debatepolicy.com. Focus like a laser beam on the topic, and stick to it.

So, why should racism be allowed on DP.com? What are the benefits of such?

OCA
06-24-2007, 01:28 PM
This issue is not about homosexuals. It is about racism on Debatepolicy.com. Focus like a laser beam on the topic, and stick to it.

UNBELIEVABLE!

I, ME, MYSELF........will talk about whatever fucking thing I want in whatever fucking thread I want and there isn't 1 damn thing you can do about it.

You cry racism because you cannot debate.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Its a moot point, as explained to you earlier.

Playing the race card will only get you neg rep.

Rahul
06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I, ME, MYSELF........will talk about whatever fucking thing I want in whatever fucking thread I want and there isn't 1 damn thing you can do about it.

I am referrign to the OP not myself. You are factually incorrect.

So, should racism be allowed on DP? Is it? Yes? No? Maybe so? Do you even have an answer, or are you just posting to start flame wars, derail thread, and indulge in insult-mongering?

MtnBiker
06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Not every point of view is going to be well recieved by every memeber of the board. Personal attacks can be addressed by the staff. Debate Policy tries to maintain as much freedom of speech as possible.

OCA
06-24-2007, 01:33 PM

So, should racism be allowed on DP? Is it? Yes? No? Maybe so? Do you even have an answer, or are you just posting to start flame wars, derail thread, and indulge in insult-mongering?

In short racism should be allowed within limits already set, no freedom of speech, within limits already set, should be curtailed.

Go cry somewhere else.

5stringJeff
06-24-2007, 01:34 PM

All points of view are tolerated, allowed, and encouraged on this board, to include racism, sexism, and whatever other kind of -ism there may be. What is not encouraged, or allowed, is repeated flaming of other members. If you feel you are being flamed, please feel free to use the report post option.

Please note the rules on flaming:

While in heated debates, we understand that it can become emotional and sometimes we let that get the better of us. The board will tolerate such outbursts to a degree. So long as it doesn't get out of hand, and become a habitual occurrence, it will be tolerated. If this is abused, the member will be issued a warning via PM and asked to refrain from further abuse. Sarcastic comments are not considered flaming. Not discussing the subject and attacking the poster in a nasty manner would be. We're all adults here, so let's again allow common sense to prevail here.

Thanks,
Jeff

LiberalNation
06-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I think racism should be allowed. It adds to the diversity of the forum and I don't think one view point should be banned for being "bad". As for name-calling, all board have it and I don't mind it at all.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Looks like dot-head got pwned on this one.

OCA
06-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Looks like dot-head got pwned on this one.

Its becoming quite evident that that is actually the case, not the first time though. Better question would be "when didn't he get pwned?"

glockmail
06-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Its becoming quite evident that that is actually the case, not the first time though. Better question would be "when didn't he get pwned?"
I bow to your superior observation. :bow2:

Gunny
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM

In other words, you wish to censor freedom of speech you do not agree with or find offensive. Why am I NOT surprised.

A better question would be should DP allow members to post who are completely devoid of honesty and lack even rudimentary debate skills?

CockySOB
06-24-2007, 03:08 PM
*** removed - case of mistaken identity - my apologies ***

Pale Rider
06-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm going to go out back and butcher me up a steer, and have a nice, big, red, bloody, fresh, BEEF STEAK. Anybody with me?

Abbey Marie
06-24-2007, 03:36 PM
This coming from the *ahem* poster who advocated violence against women? Bugger off.

Was that on this board?

CockySOB
06-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Was that on this board?

Thought so, but it is possible I am mistaken. If so, I apologize.

Added: I removed the post as it was a case of mistaken identity. My apologies to all for the mistake.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 03:53 PM

In America Indians and Sikhs own the vast majority of 7-11's.

These are merely factual observations and not racially motivated.

Same as most Greeks have big dicks and it would not be an insult to me to call me "big dick".:salute:

:laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Gandhi you've been smoked by me and about 10 others on the queer issue, its factually YOU who adds very little substance to this board.

Actually he has been smokoed on every issue. :laugh2:

glockmail
06-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm going to go out back and butcher me up a steer, and have a nice, big, red, bloody, fresh, BEEF STEAK. Anybody with me? Am about to salt 2# for the grill later. Also have some St Pauli Girl darks!

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 03:56 PM
In short racism should be allowed within limits already set, no freedom of speech, within limits already set, should be curtailed.

Go cry somewhere else.

Just put him on ignore.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Just put him on ignore.
Real men don't do that.

Gunny
06-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm going to go out back and butcher me up a steer, and have a nice, big, red, bloody, fresh, BEEF STEAK. Anybody with me?

Ribeye for me, medium rare please ... just a dash of salt an pepper.

Oh, and a Shiner Bock for the thirst I'll work up watching you work.:beer:

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Post a pic of it before you do so certain members can worship it. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Was that on this board?

Who advocated violence against women?

CockySOB
06-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Who advocated violence against women?

She's referencing a post I made in this thread where I mistook Rahul for another poster who had advocated violence against women. It was my mistake.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
She's referencing a post I made in this thread where I mistook Rahul for another poster who had advocated violence against women. It was my mistake.

Oh ok, I was just curious because I haven't seen any posts like that and I usually jump all over someone who thinks violence against a woman or child is ok.

glockmail
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh ok, I was just curious because I haven't seen any posts like that and I usually jump all over someone who thinks violence against a woman or child is ok. I'll take that into account the next time I think of posting something like that. :rolleyes:

OCA
06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Just put him on ignore.

That goes against my morals.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I'll take that into account the next time I think of posting something like that. :rolleyes:

C'mon, I know you would never raise your hand to a woman, I dont care what you say. :)

CockySOB
06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh ok, I was just curious because I haven't seen any posts like that and I usually jump all over someone who thinks violence against a woman or child is ok.

Don't you wish our politicians could own up to their mistakes as fast as I do? Goes back to something I was taught growing up - "if you fuck up - own up!"

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 07:58 PM
That goes against my morals.

Well then you better start......... :bow3: :cow:

Kathianne
06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Don't you wish our politicians could own up to their mistakes as fast as I do? Goes back to something I was taught growing up - "if you fuck up - own up!"

I know what Cocky was referring to and thank him. He did the right thing here as it wasn't Rahul. He tried to delete his post, but it was carried in responses, not his fault. Kudos to him.

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 08:01 PM

The reason's our poplititians don't own up to their fuck up's is because that's all they would ever be doing. :laugh2:

OCA
06-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Well then you better start......... :bow3: :cow:

Not following you?????????????????????

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Uhhhhhhh what do dot heads worship?

82Marine89
06-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Uhhhhhhh what do dot heads worship?

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/images/products/concession_candy/dot1.jpg

nevadamedic
06-24-2007, 10:14 PM
http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/images/products/concession_candy/dot1.jpg

Actually they :bow3::cow: :laugh2:

Rahul
06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Not every point of view is going to be well recieved by every memeber of the board. Personal attacks can be addressed by the staff. Debate Policy tries to maintain as much freedom of speech as possible.

Freedom of speech is of paramount importance. I agree.

All points of view are tolerated, allowed, and encouraged on this board, to include racism, sexism, and whatever other kind of -ism there may be. What is not encouraged, or allowed, is repeated flaming of other members. If you feel you are being flamed, please feel free to use the report post option.

Please note the rules on flaming:

While in heated debates, we understand that it can become emotional and sometimes we let that get the better of us. The board will tolerate such outbursts to a degree. So long as it doesn't get out of hand, and become a habitual occurrence, it will be tolerated. If this is abused, the member will be issued a warning via PM and asked to refrain from further abuse. Sarcastic comments are not considered flaming. Not discussing the subject and attacking the poster in a nasty manner would be. We're all adults here, so let's again allow common sense to prevail here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thank you. What would repeated use of the term 'dothead' (though the word is being misused here) constitute? I would say flaming. . . But, I just want to make sure. It is a habitual occurence to resort to racial insults on the part of certain members here, and the above example is only one.

In other words, you wish to censor freedom of speech you do not agree with or find offensive. Why am I NOT surprised.

No. I wish for name calling and personal insults to stop. You are mistaken on this and a great many other issues.

diuretic
06-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Ribeye for me, medium rare please ... just a dash of salt an pepper.

Oh, and a Shiner Bock for the thirst I'll work up watching you work.:beer:

Shiner Bock, can't get it here, last time I had one was 1996 in San Antonio.

Okay here's my contribution. I promise not to call an American a Septic (mainly because I bloody well hate that term).

diuretic
06-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Rahul - mate, don't let it get to you, it's just an internet forum and if people met you face to face I'm sure no-one would insult you. It's just that the quasi-anonymity of the internet allows people to be pretty free with their comments, it comes with the territory I'm afraid.

dan
06-25-2007, 05:05 AM
Yes, and no. I'm not sure if it's still true, but there was a time when this board (or its previous entity) edited the word 'nigger'. I was against this, actually. However, I feel like there's a huge slant against Middle Eastern people on here. Which is just kinda how America is right now.

But, as diuretic said, don't let it get you down, everyone's outspoken on the Internet.

CockySOB
06-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Rahul - mate, don't let it get to you, it's just an internet forum and if people met you face to face I'm sure no-one would insult you. It's just that the quasi-anonymity of the internet allows people to be pretty free with their comments, it comes with the territory I'm afraid.

Agreed. But it's also that lack of "face-to-face" which also dehumanizes the opinions expressed on-line. In person, we see the person making the statement or argument, and we get the benefit of the non-verbal communication which goes with the arguments. On-line, we have none of that benefit and thus our imagination fills in the blanks for us, and usually incorrectly.

Pale Rider
06-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Actually, given the chance to get "IN" your face, if you're a liberal spewing your line of communist talking points to me, I'm "MORE" inclined to "GET IN YOUR FACE" if we were "FACE TO FACE." I can get banned here for saying, "I'll kick your fucking ass up around your shoulders you pussy little faggot," but you can't BAN ME if we're face to face.

jackass
06-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Okay here's my contribution. I promise not to call an American a Septic (mainly because I bloody well hate that term).

I just had my first Shiner the other day. Not bad.

Rahul
06-25-2007, 07:36 AM

Thanks. I agree that the annoymity provided online allows people to be pretty free with their comments (or alternatively, show their true selves). I was just wondering about what the official policy on this was, though. . .

Though, I really wonder what kind of people would use the sort of terminology being used around here lately. :)

diuretic
06-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Agreed. But it's also that lack of "face-to-face" which also dehumanizes the opinions expressed on-line. In person, we see the person making the statement or argument, and we get the benefit of the non-verbal communication which goes with the arguments. On-line, we have none of that benefit and thus our imagination fills in the blanks for us, and usually incorrectly.

Yes but does that remove the ordinary requirements of civility?

diuretic
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I just had my first Shiner the other day. Not bad.

:) It's a nice drop, I was really surprised when my friend who was hosting me told me about the German influence in Tx, I didn't know there was any, Then he took me to the San Antonio Folk Festival and I was stunned at the various ethic groups in Tx.

Hagbard Celine
06-25-2007, 10:03 AM
UNBELIEVABLE!

You cry racism because you cannot debate.

http://my.fit.edu/~jbobosky/BBS/Thread-hijack.jpg

Abbey Marie
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
As far as I am concerned, you can post pics of Gary Oldman all day long.
:beer: :thumb:

5stringJeff
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes, and no. I'm not sure if it's still true, but there was a time when this board (or its previous entity) edited the word 'nigger'. I was against this, actually. However, I feel like there's a huge slant against Middle Eastern people on here. Which is just kinda how America is right now.

But, as diuretic said, don't let it get you down, everyone's outspoken on the Internet.

Dan, regarding your avatar... check out this shirt:

http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/dramaticchipmunk/male

Hagbard Celine
06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Dan, regarding your avatar... check out this shirt:

http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/dramaticchipmunk/male

I've actually seen this already. Go to http://www.collegehumor.com --they've got a few spoofs of the video.

Gunny
06-25-2007, 05:16 PM

I live in San Antonio.

Gunny
06-25-2007, 05:19 PM

I for one, don't say anything on this board I wouldn't be MORE than willing to say in person.

Gunny
06-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks. I agree that the annoymity provided online allows people to be pretty free with their comments (or alternatively, show their true selves). I was just wondering about what the official policy on this was, though. . .

Though, I really wonder what kind of people would use the sort of terminology being used around here lately. :)

The kind of people who are intolerant of anti-American jerks spewing lies.

Pale Rider
06-25-2007, 05:26 PM

"FAGGOT" anti-American jerks spewing lies.

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 05:34 PM
As far as I am concerned, you can post pics of Gary Oldman all day long.
:beer: :thumb:

Isn't he an admitted homosexual? Anyway's he's like 80 although he was awesome in Bram Stokers Dracula

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Careful, he might sick his cow on you. :laugh2:

Pale Rider
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM

And he can fire a laser out of that dot on his forhead... :laugh:

Gunny
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Not if values that cow, he won't. I'll have that think on the grill faster than it can say "moo!.":laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Isn't he an admitted homosexual? Anyway's he's like 80 although he was awesome in Bram Stokers Dracula

I'd never heard that. Dang, Nevada, you messed up my personal Mr. McDreamy! And no, he is not old yet.

Johnny Dep isn't gay, is he?

Yes, he was awesome in that movie. An unforgettable portayal of Dracula.

Rahul
06-25-2007, 11:11 PM

I am not anti-American and not a jerk. Insults say more about the person insulting than the person being insulted.

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd never heard that. Dang, Nevada, you messed up my personal Mr. McDreamy! And no, he is not old yet.

Johnny Dep isn't gay, is he?

Yes, he was awesome in that movie. An unforgettable portayal of Dracula.

Why do you fantasize about old men?!?!? I can think of much younger more attractive men you can fantasize over. :laugh2:

82Marine89
06-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I am not anti-American and not a jerk. Insults say more about the person insulting than the person being insulted.

But when a multitude of people insult you, you might want to take a deep long look in the mirror.

OK grasshopper?

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Not if values that cow, he won't. I'll have that think on the grill faster than it can say "moo!.":laugh2:

I wonder when they are getting all romantic with their cows over there if they consider it making love or just pure raw animal sex? :laugh2:

Rahul
06-25-2007, 11:20 PM
But when a multitude of people insult you, you might want to take a deep long look in the mirror.

I disagree. The insulters should be taking a deep look at themselves. I love everyone and hate nobody unlike the insulters.

So, should racism be tolerated on Debate Policy? Yes? No? Why, or why not?

82Marine89
06-25-2007, 11:26 PM
I disagree. The insulters should be taking a deep look at themselves. I love everyone and hate nobody unlike the insulters.

So, should racism be tolerated on Debate Policy? Yes? No? Why, or why not?

Bullshit. If you loved everyone you would accept us for who we are. You wouldn't use backhanded attacks and play the victim.

As for racism, it doesn't occur here. Calling someone Ghandi, Buddha, Slurpee, doesn't constitute racism.

nevadamedic
06-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Bullshit. If you loved everyone you would accept us for who we are. You wouldn't use backhanded attacks and play the victim.

As for racism, it doesn't occur here. Calling someone Ghandi, Buddha, Slurpee, doesn't constitute racism.

Damnit Marine how could you leave out cow fucking? :laugh2:

Rahul
06-25-2007, 11:42 PM
If you loved everyone you would accept us for who we are.

I do accept you for who you are.

You wouldn't use backhanded attacks and play the victim.

There hasn't been a time I have attacked you.

Of course it occurs here. The evidence is there for all to see. I have been called worse names than what you have mentioned and will not repeat them. You may read the threads and come to your own conclusions.

Yurt
06-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I wonder when they are getting all romantic with their cows over there if they consider it making love or just pure raw animal sex? :laugh2:

Its strange, in the late evening you seem to talk more and more about boners, sex and animal sex.... :laugh2:

82Marine89
06-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I do accept you for who you are.

Then why do you question me?

There hasn't been a time I have attacked you.

Not me, but you are playing the race card and unfortunately you are holding the Joker.

Of course it occurs here. The evidence is there for all to see. I have been called worse names than what you have mentioned and will not repeat them. You may read the threads and come to your own conclusions.

rac·ism (rā'sĭz'əm) pronunciation
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Being called a name is not racism.

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Its strange, in the late evening you seem to talk more and more about boners, sex and animal sex.... :laugh2:

Have you been keeping track? :laugh2: You must like hearing guy's talk about boners. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 12:31 AM

Not me, but you are playing the race card and unfortunately you are holding the Joker.

rac·ism (rā'sĭz'əm) pronunciation
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

In todays society being called a name is called life. :laugh2:

Rahul
06-26-2007, 12:35 AM

What question have I asked of you other than those related to the OP?

It is if the name calling is racially motivated or if the names have underlying racial tones.

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
What question have I asked of you other than those related to the OP?

It is if the name calling is racially motivated or if the names have underlying racial tones.

No, the name calling is racist if it is words like Nigger, Spic, Camel Jockey or Honkey. Typical name calling is not racist. How can you justify typical name calling racist, if I sit here and call you an asshole(which you usually are) your saying racist? :fu:

Rahul
06-26-2007, 12:40 AM
How can you justify typical name calling racist, if I sit here and call you an asshole(which you usually are) your saying racist? :fu:

No. It would be rude, not racist, which is what I have to come to expect from you.

However, I have been called names with underlying racial tones which is why I started this topic.

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 12:47 AM
No. It would be rude, not racist, which is what I have to come to expect from you.

However, I have been called names with underlying racial tones which is why I started this topic.

Rude? Thank you but flattery will get you no where :laugh2:

Rahul
06-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Rude? Thank you but flattery will get you no where :laugh2:

You are welcome. My point stands. :)

gabosaurus
06-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Racism is both practiced and tolerated here. Primarily because it is favored among the majority and those who make and enforce the rules.
It reflects the bigger problem of racism in society. The prevailing establishment has always been overwhelmingly white, and usually male. It's BOTH parties. The Dems just do a better job avoiding the issue.
You can't really blame racism on those in charge, though. When you get to those in their 40s and above, they are normally products of their environment. They were raised in either segregated communities, or where non-whites where herded into poorer areas of town. They had racist parents and circulated among those who were not sympathetic to anyone other than themselves.
It is only when you are forced to confront diversity as a child that you learn that all people are basically the same. Because don't naturally become prejudiced. It is something that they learn. If you grow up with blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Jews, Hindus and/or Muslims, and you see that they are no different than you, then you learn to accept them.
That is my main problem with those who refuse to accept people different from themselves -- they never were taught to accept them. Instead, you give into sensationalism and whatever prejudices that you hear in society. Or you allow your religious or moral values to interfere with your common sense.
Ever wonder how Muslims got the way they are now? Because they had no other choice. They have state religion and enforced value systems. It's taught to them from Day One.
We have choices here. Some people don't accept them. They want their own values and beliefs forced on everyone.
What we are seeing now is the zenith of non-acceptance. The current administration wants us to hate everyone who is not white, straight and Christian. Bush is waging his own modern version of The Crusades, to make the world safe for White Christians. He even has his own TV network preaching the cause.
We are sacrificing American soldiers on a daily basis in the cause of religious hatred. We have lunatics who openly embrace the slaughter of blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, homosexuals and anyone else they don't agree with.

Some of us "treasonous liberals" were brought up another way. Our parents didn't teach us to hate and fear those different from us. We understand different religions and cultures. We make the attempt to understand different points of view.
We understand how many non-Anglos have been converted into 20th Century Native Americans, herded into ghettos and told not to cross their lines. We understand that non-Christians can be just and moral and intelligent as those "Christians" who might attend Church twice a year. We understand how gangs work. We understand why people break the law to feed their families.
We know where racism started, and we know how it has continued. We understand why is continues to be perpetrated. We understand how frightening it is for the typical racist American to realize that the ghettos are steadily disappearing. Their formerly all-white neighborhoods are suddenly gaining people from different cultures and ethnicities.
That is one of the purposes of private schools. To retain the white elite. To make sure everyone is taught "proper" Christian values. To ensure that there will be another generation to burn crosses and hate those who embrace other religions.
Racism will likely never die out. As long as the current racists continue to raise their children the same way they were raised, there will always be hatred and anger expressed toward those who are different.
But it will cease to become mainstream. Eventually, racial prejudice and injustice will no longer be tolerated among the ruling class. Simply because non-whites will become the ruling class. It's like the Biblical story of Jesus coming back to earth. When the equally atonement happens, which side will you be caught on?

Sorry that this is too lengthy. I know many of you probably quit reading after the second paragraph and switch to the girly picture section.
But it made me feel better to write and post it. :cheers2:

Rahul
06-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Racism is both practiced and tolerated here. Primarily because it is favored among the majority and those who make and enforce the rules.

It reflects the bigger problem of racism in society. The prevailing establishment has always been overwhelmingly white, and usually male. It's BOTH parties. The Dems just do a better job avoiding the issue.

You can't really blame racism on those in charge, though. When you get to those in their 40s and above, they are normally products of their environment. They were raised in either segregated communities, or where non-whites where herded into poorer areas of town. They had racist parents and circulated among those who were not sympathetic to anyone other than themselves.

It is only when you are forced to confront diversity as a child that you learn that all people are basically the same. Because don't naturally become prejudiced. It is something that they learn. If you grow up with blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Jews, Hindus and/or Muslims, and you see that they are no different than you, then you learn to accept them.

That is my main problem with those who refuse to accept people different from themselves -- they never were taught to accept them. Instead, you give into sensationalism and whatever prejudices that you hear in society. Or you allow your religious or moral values to interfere with your common sense.
Ever wonder how Muslims got the way they are now? Because they had no other choice. They have state religion and enforced value systems. It's taught to them from Day One.

We have choices here. Some people don't accept them. They want their own values and beliefs forced on everyone.

What we are seeing now is the zenith of non-acceptance. The current administration wants us to hate everyone who is not white, straight and Christian. Bush is waging his own modern version of The Crusades, to make the world safe for White Christians. He even has his own TV network preaching the cause.

We are sacrificing American soldiers on a daily basis in the cause of religious hatred. We have lunatics who openly embrace the slaughter of blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, homosexuals and anyone else they don't agree with.

Some of us "treasonous liberals" were brought up another way. Our parents didn't teach us to hate and fear those different from us. We understand different religions and cultures. We make the attempt to understand different points of view.

We understand how many non-Anglos have been converted into 20th Century Native Americans, herded into ghettos and told not to cross their lines. We understand that non-Christians can be just and moral and intelligent as those "Christians" who might attend Church twice a year. We understand how gangs work. We understand why people break the law to feed their families.

We know where racism started, and we know how it has continued. We understand why is continues to be perpetrated. We understand how frightening it is for the typical racist American to realize that the ghettos are steadily disappearing. Their formerly all-white neighborhoods are suddenly gaining people from different cultures and ethnicities.

That is one of the purposes of private schools. To retain the white elite. To make sure everyone is taught "proper" Christian values. To ensure that there will be another generation to burn crosses and hate those who embrace other religions.

Racism will likely never die out. As long as the current racists continue to raise their children the same way they were raised, there will always be hatred and anger expressed toward those who are different.
But it will cease to become mainstream. Eventually, racial prejudice and injustice will no longer be tolerated among the ruling class. Simply because non-whites will become the ruling class. It's like the Biblical story of Jesus coming back to earth. When the equally atonement happens, which side will you be caught on?

Sorry that this is too lengthy. I know many of you probably quit reading after the second paragraph and switch to the girly picture section.
But it made me feel better to write and post it. :cheers2:

Fantastic post. I agree with everything you are saying, especially the parts in bold. :thumb::2up::beer:

But, where is the girly picture section?

5stringJeff
06-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Actually, it is tolerated because Jim believes in freedom of speech, and he's picked staff that also believe in freedom of speech. That means allowing viewpoints that some people find detestable, because that's what free speech is all about.

jimnyc
06-26-2007, 07:31 AM

Gabby, I agree with the majority of what you wrote, except for the portion I've left above. How you can say that racism is 'favored' by staff here?

I consider this board to be a reflection of the real world, which is reality. Someone will almost always be offended. Canadians, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Blacks... I'm not going to censor others thoughts and make this some 'make believe' world. It's up to the readers to decide what to make of the posts. Racism is a reality of today, and DP is not immune.

The "official" stance is that it is TOLERATED. We don't encourage outlandish displays of racism, and in fact ask users to tone down on hate/racism rhetoric, but to take a stance, IMO, would be censorship. It's another one of those instances where we hope common sense would prevail.

Yes, in a prior venture of mine I had banned the word "nigger". Upon reflection, I wouldn't do the same, but I also wouldn't see the person using the word regularly to be one with much credibility. The infamous "C" word is another that I wouldn't allow. I still think it's disgusting, but some use the term daily. We're all different, with different beliefs, with different tolerance levels - all gathered at a forum to debate and discuss. You'll never find a place where all is the same, unless disparity is not what you're looking for.

DP will tolerate racism, because the members have spoken out many times before that they prefer freedom of speech to be of paramount importance.

Rahul, do you have any more specific questions?

jimnyc
06-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Actually, it is tolerated because Jim believes in freedom of speech, and he's picked staff that also believe in freedom of speech. That means allowing viewpoints that some people find detestable, because that's what free speech is all about.

You wrote that while I was typing my reply. Perfectly stated, Jeff!

5stringJeff
06-26-2007, 08:03 AM
You wrote that while I was typing my reply. Perfectly stated, Jeff!

Great minds think alike! Now if I could just get you to quit rooting for those damn Steelers! :D :texflag:

gabosaurus
06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I totally agree with you. Without the freedom that is rare on other board, I wouldn't have been able to post what I did.
I embrace the fact that DP is an open exchange of ideas. And I appreciate the fact that most (but not all) DP staff are very fair and open minded.
I appreciate the opportunity to be able to express my points of view. :salute:

glockmail
06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I totally agree with you. Without the freedom that is rare on other board, I wouldn't have been able to post what I did.
I embrace the fact that DP is an open exchange of ideas. And I appreciate the fact that most (but not all) DP staff are very fair and open minded.
I appreciate the opportunity to be able to express my points of view. :salute:

that doesn't mean your fellow posters have to pay attention to you. :laugh2:

theHawk
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Bush is waging his own modern version of The Crusades, to make the world safe for White Christians. He even has his own TV network preaching the cause.

LOL wow, so Bush is leading a Crusade for white Christians to go slaughter blacks, Mexicans, Muslims and homos? You're the lunatic Gabby. :lol:

The problem with this is that you assume that if we understand a different culture or religion or point of view, that means we have to accept it. Sorry but that's not how it works. Its quite possible to understand other cultures and religions very well, to the point we know there are problems with them. What happens when an other 'values system' conficts with your own? Are you supposed to roll over and let the other destroy yours?

So private schools solety exist to maintain a white elite. Couldn't possibly be because the socialized public school system is a joke.
Nice to know that "proper" Christian values means burning crosses and hate those who embrace other religions. :lame2:

Racism will probably always exist because there will always be people crying 'racism' and trying to blame all of their problems on someone else.

But it will cease to become mainstream. Eventually, racial prejudice and injustice will no longer be tolerated among the ruling class. Simply because non-whites will become the ruling class.
So when "non-whites" become the ruling class, we can expect a big brother socialist government to be the thought police for the whites. Very insightful Gabby, never would of imagined this is what you dream about for America. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Great minds think alike! Now if I could just get you to quit rooting for those damn Steelers! :D :texflag:

I thought the Steelers were just a tune up team. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
that doesn't mean your fellow posters have to pay attention to you. :laugh2:

Of course we listen to her, she usually gives us a good laugh, the problem is that is when she is being serious! :laugh2: