PDA

View Full Version : Another Black Friday Walmart workers strike

red states rule
11-17-2014, 04:53 AM
Since when does the employee tell the employer when they will work? If they do not want to work the hours they are told to work, then go find another job

This is also another fake outrage set up by the union goons BTW. Like the lefts War on Christmas this is becoming an annual event

Walmart employees who are organizing as part of OUR Walmart are promising the biggest strikes ever on Black Friday, saying more employees will participate than the previous two years.

Barbara Gertz, an employee from Denver, Colorado, said organizers are expecting to see protests in 1,600 stores. While they don’t yet have a headcount of how many workers will strike or in how many cities, she said they’ve gotten calls “every day” from employees who want to join in. Protests will hit Los Angeles and a number of other major metropolitan areas. Employees at more than 2,100 Walmart stores across the country have signed an online petition asking for higher wages and better working conditions.

Gertz explained why she’s planning to take part. “There have been many times my family can’t even afford the gas to get me back and forth to work, so my husband had to wait in the car to take me home after work,” she said on a call with the press. “Every time one of us speaks out for change, we take the risk that Walmart will fire us. That’s not right and that’s not legal. That’s why we’re going on strike.” The National Labor Relations Board has backed up (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/11/18/2962751/nlrb-walmart/) some of the claims of retaliation against organizing workers.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/11/14/3592556/walmart-black-friday-2014/

darin
11-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Crock of horseshit. Go find another job.

tailfins
11-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Since when does the employee tell the employer when they will work? If they do not want to work the hours they are told to work, then go find another job

This is also another fake outrage set up by the union goons BTW. Like the lefts War on Christmas this is becoming an annual event

These strikers put management in a position of needing to over-hire for December. I hope those affected blame the union agitators when everyone only gets a 25 hour work week because a reserve of available hours will be needed to cover an unknown number of people who will walk off the job. I have no desire for Wal-mart to retaliate, but it's a cold mathematical reality needed for the business to function.

tailfins
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Crock of horseshit. Go find another job.

Those people are not going to do that just because someone tells them to.

The over-hiring with the 25 hour work week would accomplish several things:
1) Having enough available workforce to cover labor needs even if a significant number doesn't show up.
Other favorable, but unintended consequences
2) Creating peer pressure to stop the strikes
3) Walmart avoids a PR problem because it doesn't use brute force to get rid of the troublemakers, letting their peers pressure them out
4) The strikers fail at their attempt to disrupt company operations

aboutime
11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
http://icansayit.com/images/walmartg.jpg

red states rule
11-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Fire them. Then they can live from welfare check to welfare check

At least they will have plenty of time to spend the holiday with their family and looks for a new job

DLT
11-17-2014, 05:43 PM

Well, Barbara....you idiot.....if you don't like what Walmart pays you....go work somewhere else (duh).Lefties are sooo stooopid.

jimnyc
11-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Strike? Did they learn this crap from the fast food idiots thinking they get to set the wages and rules? I would have fired them instantly, and send a little message to the other idiots thinking they may start a domino effect.

grannyhawkins
11-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Ya know, there's something to be said for the ole blue law days, when most stores were closed on Sunday's. Life was a bit slower then, families got to go ta church an have a meal together. It wasn't perfect an wasn't a fit for everybody, but it wasn't all that bad either.

I'd like to see more folks be able to spend time with their families and have an ole fashion Thanksgiving, now that would be something to be truly thankful for in our round the clock society. I've worked a ton of holiday's and have some outstanding memories of workin during those day's, but when we're all on our deathbeds, we ain't gonna be layin there thinkin, dang I wish I wooda worked more.

red states rule
11-18-2014, 02:47 AM
Ya know, there's something to be said for the ole blue law days, when most stores were closed on Sunday's. Life was a bit slower then, families got to go ta church an have a meal together. It wasn't perfect an wasn't a fit for everybody, but it wasn't all that bad either.

I'd like to see more folks be able to spend time with their families and have an ole fashion Thanksgiving, now that would be something to be truly thankful for in our round the clock society. I've worked a ton of holiday's and have some outstanding memories of workin during those day's, but when we're all on our deathbeds, we ain't gonna be layin there thinkin, dang I wish I wooda worked more.

That is true. However if the people do not show up at the store and shop - the store will not open. It is clear the customers want the store to open, and if you want to stay in business you must do what you can to make them happy

And how anyone taking a job at Wal Mart expects NOT to work on Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Christmas Eve is a fool

DragonStryk72
11-18-2014, 04:35 AM

What really gets me is that people keep believing it. I've worked for Wal-mart, and not at some managerial salary position. I was an unloader, an Electronics associate, and a Photo lab tech. Wal-Mart pays just fine, and here's why: Wal-Mart uses a graded pay scale, so that people doing simple tasks (basic cashiering, door greeter) make the lowest wage, which is competitive with the local jobs of the same caliber... well, that's not entirely true. See, at Wal-Mart, part-timers often get 32-35 hours/week, unlike their counterparts, who get about 16-24 hours/week on part time. So suddenly ,that difference in pay starts to come out on the Wal-Mart side.

Even if the workers did unionize, what are they going to leverage for? Health, Vision, and Dental? Already available to workers that've completed 1000 hours of employment (3-4 months). Higher wages? Those'll be counter by union dues, and the open door policy will be lost.

red states rule
11-18-2014, 04:49 AM
What really gets me is that people keep believing it. I've worked for Wal-mart, and not at some managerial salary position. I was an unloader, an Electronics associate, and a Photo lab tech. Wal-Mart pays just fine, and here's why: Wal-Mart uses a graded pay scale, so that people doing simple tasks (basic cashiering, door greeter) make the lowest wage, which is competitive with the local jobs of the same caliber... well, that's not entirely true. See, at Wal-Mart, part-timers often get 32-35 hours/week, unlike their counterparts, who get about 16-24 hours/week on part time. So suddenly ,that difference in pay starts to come out on the Wal-Mart side.

Even if the workers did unionize, what are they going to leverage for? Health, Vision, and Dental? Already available to workers that've completed 1000 hours of employment (3-4 months). Higher wages? Those'll be counter by union dues, and the open door policy will be lost.

Seems to me Wal Mart is a good place to work. I shop every week at the Super center and I see the same faces week after week. I go early to avoid the crowds and try to stay out of way of the men and women stocking the counters. Not much turnover and not opne worker was chained to his/her work station

If unions do infest Wal Mart they will do Wal Mart what they did to the auto and airline industry. And do not forget when people have a chocie they decide NOT to join. Look at the sate of WI for proof

aboutime
11-18-2014, 05:10 PM
The only people who are complaining the most about Walmart are...those who claim the store is such a terrible place to work, while they pretend they really care...after late-nite visits to their local Walmart to avoid having to see their Hypocrite, Liberal friends in the store, or parking lot.

Those who do the most complaining, do so because they found out...if they want a paycheck. THEY HAVE TO WORK for it. So, they'd rather not admit they would prefer to work, while waiting for their UNEMPLOYMENT BENNIES to run out, and force them to apply at Walmart?????