PDA

View Full Version : Accomplishments Late in Life

Perianne
11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
As I get older I am finding that time is running out for me to accomplish things that I have always wanted to do.

One of them was weightlifting. My previous husband would not let me. He said my body was perfect as it was. He died a couple of years ago and I recently married again. My new husband is 100% behind me in whatever I have wanted to do.

I am 57 years old now and have been lifting weights for about ten months. I like the burning in the muscles. I like that I can lift so much more weight now than I could at the beginning. There are some things that have been an advantage to me. First, I am little at barely five feet tall. They say that short people build muscle faster than taller people. Secondly, I have been a nurse for nearly thirty years. All these years of turning and lifting much heavier people have made me much stronger than I would be if my job was sitting behind a desk.

Nearly all my life I have loved to run. Now my running is more like jogging because it hurts my knees if I run fast like I used to. I also do weighted upside-down situps.

Anyway, at this advanced age, I am in the best physical shape of my life.

jimnyc
11-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Awesome, great for you!! Keep at it and "advanced age" is just a term that is not as true as it sounds. Take care of your body and it will take care of you! :)

Perianne
11-19-2014, 10:53 AM
I went last night and met with a female trainer. She was impressed with what I had accomplished on my own at home. I am thinking about joining the gym and let her guide me.

Any thoughts from the men about women with muscles?

gabosaurus
11-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Any thoughts from the men about women with muscles?

I don't know about men, but after my best friend in England had her first kid, she took up kick boxing to get back into shape. She was inspired by the woman who owns her gym and several others. This woman is 63 and looks like she could still kick your butt.

Perianne
11-19-2014, 11:00 AM
I don't know about men, but after my best friend in England had her first kid, she took up kick boxing to get back into shape. She was inspired by the woman who owns her gym and several others. This woman is 63 and looks like she could still kick your butt.

Gabby, are you into athletics or sports?

gabosaurus
11-19-2014, 11:04 AM
I was raised as a Dodger fan. I love baseball. Other sports, not so much. I ran track in high school as a way to get out of gym class.
My husband is a rare male who doesn't care for sports. I am pleased with this. :cool:

Perianne
11-19-2014, 11:10 AM
I was raised as a Dodger fan. I love baseball. Other sports, not so much. I ran track in high school as a way to get out of gym class.
My husband is a rare male who doesn't care for sports. I am pleased with this. :cool:

:)

I am the one in my family who is the big sports fanatic. First, I love NFL (Cowboys) more than anything else. Secondly, living in Lexington, KY, I am also a big fan of Kentucky basketball. Third, I like NCAA football. My fourth favorite thing is NBA, but mostly for the finals.

I can watch the ALCS, NLCS and World Series in October, but otherwise baseball doesn't do it for me. I am trying to get into NHL.

Soccer is something like the 73rd most favorite thing to watch.... right before the Kardashian show. lol

gabosaurus
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Soccer is something like the 73rd most favorite thing to watch.... right before the Kardashian show. lol

I was dragged into soccer many years ago. My college roommate is Italian. Her family lives and dies football (soccer), specifically her home side of AC Milan. One of my best friends is a soccer referee.
Many Americans believe they are passionate about their sports teams. But they would cower at a European soccer match. :laugh:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?47662-How-serious-do-Italians-take-football-%28soccer%29

aboutime
11-19-2014, 04:03 PM
As I get older I am finding that time is running out for me to accomplish things that I have always wanted to do.

One of them was weightlifting. My previous husband would not let me. He said my body was perfect as it was. He died a couple of years ago and I recently married again. My new husband is 100% behind me in whatever I have wanted to do.

I am 57 years old now and have been lifting weights for about ten months. I like the burning in the muscles. I like that I can lift so much more weight now than I could at the beginning. There are some things that have been an advantage to me. First, I am little at barely five feet tall. They say that short people build muscle faster than taller people. Secondly, I have been a nurse for nearly thirty years. All these years of turning and lifting much heavier people have made me much stronger than I would be if my job was sitting behind a desk.

Nearly all my life I have loved to run. Now my running is more like jogging because it hurts my knees if I run fast like I used to. I also do weighted upside-down situps.

You're not at an Advanced Age Lady. You sound like you are now in the Prime of a Wonderful Life.

No apologies required. Just do what makes you feel good, and everything else will work out.

Forget what Other People Think. You are You, and they don't care.