PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. Lighting

Perianne
11-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Has anyone purchased any of the new LED lights to replace incandescent? I have a ceiling fan right over my couch that I run nearly 24/7. Regular light bulbs (due to the vibrations of the fan) don't last very long, just a few weeks. So, I bought an LED light. I like it and cannot tell the difference between it and incandescent bulbs.

I bought Phillips model number 433227. You can get them from Amazon.

darin
11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
I bought a couple - two 60w from HomeDepot. They are like staring at the sun. Holy Cannolli. The 40w does a great job. Very white light, though - removes some of the warmth I had with older bulbs.

tailfins
11-18-2014, 12:13 PM
I use them for high places or where changing the bulb would be a pain in the butt. LED are supposed to last a very long time.

hjmick
11-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Almost every light in my house is LED. Only have 9 or 10 left to change out and those are outdoors mostly and CFLs. Well, except for the two floods out back...

darin
11-18-2014, 12:46 PM
^^ I just put two $25ea LED floods around the house. 1500 lumens each- Just love them.

jimnyc
11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Has anyone purchased any of the new LED lights to replace incandescent? I have a ceiling fan right over my couch that I run nearly 24/7. Regular light bulbs (due to the vibrations of the fan) don't last very long, just a few weeks. So, I bought an LED light. I like it and cannot tell the difference between it and incandescent bulbs.

I bought Phillips model number 433227. You can get them from Amazon.

I replaced my ceiling fan with a simple light fixture (don't ask). The light is SO much brighter than what the fan light offered, even at similar wattage. The LED will last much longer, or at least should. Think of the little light that comes on when you power up your computer, or the light that blinks with hard disk activity, those are LED's. Tiny bit of wattage and bright light! But I think we're talking of different things, bulbs compared to fixtures, but I had to chime in anyway. :)

aboutime
11-18-2014, 04:08 PM
L.E.D.s are great, cool, and compared to conventional lights. They last seemingly forever.

NOTE: Every light you now see, on your keyboard, cellphone, PC, mouse, modem, or flash drive contains LED lighting. Hardly any electricity being used...forever.

http://youtu.be/bH7clEpl_cQ

Drummond
11-25-2014, 11:04 AM
This thread reads as though you still have a choice in the matter ??

Here in the UK - its still possible to buy the older-tech bulbs ... IF you shop around, IF you're lucky enough to have a shop with a stock in your area (I know several London shops selling them, but none locally to me). But I believe I'm right in saying that none are being manufactured in my part of the world, so when stores exhaust their stocks, that'll be it...

Anyway, over here, there's an ongoing process in Britain and the EU to outlaw them. See ....

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN04958.pdf

I quite like the new ones. That said .. the last I heard, they were still unsuitable for dimmer switches ? Is that still true ?

darin
11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Can be used with a Liber - er...I mean DIMMER switch: http://www.earthled.com/collections/dimmable-led-light-bulbs

tailfins
11-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Here in the UK - its still possible to buy the older-tech bulbs ... IF you shop around, IF you're lucky enough to have a shop with a stock in your area (I know several London shops selling them, but none locally to me). But I believe I'm right in saying that none are being manufactured in my part of the world, so when stores exhaust their stocks, that'll be it...

Anyway, over here, there's an ongoing process in Britain and the EU to outlaw them. See ....

I quite like the new ones. That said .. the last I heard, they were still unsuitable for dimmer switches ? Is that still true ?

CFLs are unsuitable. The LEDs that I see at Home Depot are compatible with dimmer switches. Some LEDs have remote controls even.

It's easy to control using INSTEON Wall Switches, Keypads, wireless Mini Remotes and even your smartphone when used with the INSTEON Hub.

http://www.insteon.com/267x-led-bulbs.html

glockmail
11-25-2014, 12:13 PM
I started to use them about a year ago in a few lamps that are on a lot. I had been watching the prices come down when Lowes strted selling 40W equivalents for $5 each, so I made a list and changed out ever incandescent that could take that size. I have some "good" cfls (encapsulated with an unbreakable globe) that I still use, and will until they burn out.

For my outdoor floods I converted these to encapsulated cfls several years ago. They take time to warm up, otherwise the light is much more even that the old incandescents.

LEDs work with dimmers but you have to have a compatible dimmer, and you can't set them too low or they will flicker annoyingly. This was a problem at my kitchen table, so I changed from the 40W equivalent to more expensive lower watt decorative LEDs, and solved the problem.

I'm still waiting for someone to make smaller LED bulbs for my microwave (40w), and overhead hall fixtures (25w). Also, decorative ones for my chandeliers.

glockmail
11-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Here in the UK - its still possible to buy the older-tech bulbs ... IF you shop around, ...

I took several boxes of my unused incandesents to the ReStore here. You probably have an equivalent resource.

fj1200
11-25-2014, 01:34 PM
CFLs are unsuitable.

It depends on the CFL IIRC. Some are, some aren't.

KarlMarx
11-25-2014, 02:51 PM
LEDs give off light because the electrons must give up a photon whenever the go from one energy state to a lower one. For this reason, LEDs are very efficient, because nearly all the energy they consume goes into exciting electrons. This, nearly all the energy they use is converted into light. Incandescents, however, use nearly all they energy they consume into heating a metal filament so the energy given off is mostly heat. For this reason an LED can give off more light energy than an incandescent and use a fraction of the energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Abbey Marie
11-25-2014, 03:31 PM
I couldn't care less about efficiency. I love my warm incandescent light, and have been stockpiling the bulbs for as long as I can. I absolutely hate that it is being phased out. :mad:

glockmail
11-25-2014, 06:51 PM
I couldn't care less about efficiency. I love my warm incandescent light, and have been stockpiling the bulbs for as long as I can. I absolutely hate that it is being phased out. :mad:

I used to think like that but "warmth" is merely a color, and LEDs can be tuned to just about any color, including mimicking an incandescent.

For me the biggest benefit is a lot less heat. I have some ceiling fixtures that used to get dreadfully hot, actually turning some of the decorative parts brown like a slow burn. In the winter it's not such a big deal but in the summer the AC system has that much more heat to remove from the house. I've seen a dramatic decrease in my electric bill.

Second biggest benefir is that I'm not changing them out all the time. I have so many different sizes and wattage of bulbs that I had a large shelf in my kitchen dedicated to replacements. Now I just a few that I'm waiting for manufacturers to make LEDs for.

aboutime
11-25-2014, 06:56 PM
My apologies. I didn't mean to sound like I preferred LED's over the Older bulbs. But we have noticed how one living-room lamp, with the new LED brand, has lasted nearly a full year. While other standard bulbs quickly burn-out, and need replacement.

To each his own. But the one drawback is...care in getting rid of the newer bulbs. Almost seems as if YOU MUST CALL HAZMAT to get rid of them.

Shhhhh! We won't tell if you won't. Nobody really knows what is happening anyway!:dance:

glockmail
11-25-2014, 07:03 PM
My apologies. I didn't mean to sound like I preferred LED's over the Older bulbs. But we have noticed how one living-room lamp, with the new LED brand, has lasted nearly a full year. While other standard bulbs quickly burn-out, and need replacement.

To each his own. But the one drawback is...care in getting rid of the newer bulbs. Almost seems as if YOU MUST CALL HAZMAT to get rid of them.

Shhhhh! We won't tell if you won't. Nobody really knows what is happening anyway!:dance:

You mean getting rid of the old CFLs? Lowes has a recycling box at the entrance in every store. Just toss'em in a plastic shopping bag and when you have a few and need hardware for something remember to bring them with you.

Perianne
05-27-2015, 03:20 PM

They are making dimmable LED lights now.

I am slowly replacing regular bulbs with LED ones. The ceiling fan in my living room caused regular bulbs to burn out every month or so. Now, with the LED ones, they have lasted a long time.

In the kitchen I have a bright light hanging from the ceiling. I used one of the coiled fluorescent there because the LED is not bright enough. But otherwise, I am happy with the LED ones. And they will last for a loooong time. Saves money two different ways!

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Just to switch it up, a bit, I have been working in the entertainment lighting business for better than 20 years, now. The majority of fixtures used, now, are LED based, BUT, there are certain places, and times when a traditional lamp is the only way to go...such as will a LARGE 1200 to 2000W fixture, used in long throw situations, such as large arena tours and stadiums.

The majority are now LED, where the LED chip is capable of RGBAW color mixing from an individual LED node....and the intensity has become very useable.

Check out this demonstration of ALL LED fixtures presented at one of our last international sales meetings:

https://youtu.be/yDNUnUuEaRc

Perianne
05-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Just to switch it up, a bit, I have been working in the entertainment lighting business for better than 20 years, now. The majority of fixtures used, now, are LED based, BUT, there are certain places, and times when a traditional lamp is the only way to go...such as will a LARGE 1200 to 2000W fixture, used in long throw situations, such as large arena tours and stadiums.

The majority are now LED, where the LED chip is capable of RGBAW color mixing from an individual LED node....and the intensity has become very useable.

Check out this demonstration of ALL LED fixtures presented at one of our last international sales meetings:

https://youtu.be/yDNUnUuEaRc

That was all LED? Impressive if so.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-28-2015, 03:54 PM
That was all LED? Impressive if so.

Yes, ALL LED. (as are the majority of fixtures you see on TV performance shows - I've sold several hundred LED fixtures to The Voice, over the last several years, as well as Zac Brown, Darius Rucker, and working on Santana, soon, hopefully)