PDA

View Full Version : The Pledge of Alleg….Wait, What?

5stringJeff
11-18-2014, 06:27 PM
I personally don't say the Pledge of Allegiance any more, for several reasons (mostly religious, and no, I'm not a JW). But whether you do or don't, here's an interesting article on its origins.

http://www.unapologeticallyamerican.com/the-pledge-of-alleg-wait-what/

puma237
11-18-2014, 07:30 PM
I personally don't say the Pledge of Allegiance any more, for several reasons (mostly religious, and no, I'm not a JW). But whether you do or don't, here's an interesting article on its origins.

http://www.unapologeticallyamerican.com/the-pledge-of-alleg-wait-what/

thanks for the article. but it just seems to make sense that a nation that requires school children to salute and pledge their allegiance to a flag (or anything) cannot, in all seriousness, consider itself to be a nation of individual liberty and freedom.

aboutime
11-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Nobody can force you to say it, or to respect the flag. But some of us would appreciate you remembering how you can stand behind the First amendment of the Constitution that gives you the right NOT to say it, or salute the flag MILLIONS have devoted, or given their lives for...giving you that right.

Thanks.

5stringJeff
11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Nobody can force you to say it, or to respect the flag. But some of us would appreciate you remembering how you can stand behind the First amendment of the Constitution that gives you the right NOT to say it, or salute the flag MILLIONS have devoted, or given their lives for...giving you that right.

Thanks.

I am one of those millions, as I assume you also are.

aboutime
11-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I am one of those millions, as I assume you also are.

You should let Jim know, if you want. I did 30 in the nav. Retired in 1995.

gabosaurus
11-18-2014, 10:26 PM

The first amendment also guarantees freedom of religion, which obviously you do not believe in.

aboutime
11-19-2014, 04:39 PM
The first amendment also guarantees freedom of religion, which obviously you do not believe in.

Gabby. Really? Tell us where it says that?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

BY THE WAY... I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO, AND HONORED MY PLEDGE, WHEN I TOOK AN OATH TO DEFEND (EVEN) PEOPLE LIKE YOU. SO HELP ME GOD!

gabosaurus
11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Reading comprehension is your friend. :rolleyes:

I say the Pledge of Allegiance as well.
Which originally did not contain the words "under God." Those were added by Eisenhower sometime in the 50's.

5stringJeff
11-19-2014, 05:53 PM
You should let Jim know, if you want. I did 30 in the nav. Retired in 1995.

He knows. I was in the Army from 1998-2003. And not to make you feel old, but my dad flew in the Navy from '68-'73.

aboutime
11-19-2014, 06:05 PM
He knows. I was in the Army from 1998-2003. And not to make you feel old, but my dad flew in the Navy from '68-'73.

Too late to make me feel old. Navy Pilots are like Marines. Once a Pilot, always a Pilot. I salute Both of you.

Thanks for your service too! Guess he did a few Nam trips from the angled decks?

Bilgerat
11-19-2014, 06:10 PM
http://youtu.be/5qO7f9l4tlA

5stringJeff
11-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Too late to make me feel old. Navy Pilots are like Marines. Once a Pilot, always a Pilot. I salute Both of you.

Thanks for your service too! Guess he did a few Nam trips from the angled decks?

Many. Mostly in/out of Danang. He flew the C-1, IIRC.

indago
11-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Considering the term allegiance, and the hierarchical relationship between the people, the State, and the federal government, as recorded in Article Ten of the Bill of Rights, the pledge of allegiance to the flag, and to the United States, should be abolished. All who work for government should be required, every morning, to pledge their allegiance to the people whom they serve; and to reaffirm their oath to uphold the Constitution. This would be a daily reminder of their status, and their servile position. It is predictable that their attitude would change.

aboutime
11-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Considering the term allegiance, and the hierarchical relationship between the people, the State, and the federal government, as recorded in Article Ten of the Bill of Rights, the pledge of allegiance to the flag, and to the United States, should be abolished. All who work for government should be required, every morning, to pledge their allegiance to the people whom they serve; and to reaffirm their oath to uphold the Constitution. This would be a daily reminder of their status, and their servile position. It is predictable that their attitude would change.

Sure thing indago. Abolish everything that a small minority deems terrible, and we all end up with the Obama, Desired Anarchy.